gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 09, 2024, 02:16:35 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  U/Ls time out and no secondaries...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: U/Ls time out and no secondaries...  (Read 1869 times)

mmbrown

U/Ls time out and no secondaries...
« on: October 30, 2005, 11:26:40 am »
Hi, hope someone can help with this?

Have been running WinMX succesfully with patch for several weeks now. However seem to have a problem with it today. Only have primary connections and no secondaries and anyone trying to upload from me timesout.

I have the 3.54b with latest patch running on XPpro wit SP2 and am running PeerGuardian2 fully updated.

I've checked all required ports are opened on the router etc and no firewalls blocking.

Anyone any ideas what to do?

Would reinstalling it help etc etc???

Thanks

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 04:25:17 pm »
Hey mmbrown,

Usually that is a sign that something has blocked your ports on you.  Unfortunately it happens sometimes that a change, or power outage or even Windows Updates can change this on you so checking those first are the way to go.

On the router settings did you also verify that your internal IP of that machine had not been reassigned or changed by the router.

Go to Start > Run > type 'cmd'
Then in the DOS box type  'ipconfig'

This will give you the IP Address of that machine, then open the router and verify that you have that has not changed.  

Make sure if your XP firewall was disabled before that is still disabled, with updates it has a habit of turning itself on without you knowing it.

Also do you have Norton Antivirus 2005, this with some updates may also reblock WinMX and it may have to be re-Allowed in the Worm Protection.

I am curious if you have checked all of  these and still had this trouble what other changes may have taken place to cause this...

Your not the first person that has had the secondary connections become erratic on them..meaning that they fluctuate between normal to low numbers..

Let me know please...

mmbrown

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 07:31:21 pm »
Thanks for the response "me here"

Reinstalled WinMX from this site with patch etc and have been through the router settings again. All seems to be OK- right internal ip adress etc.

Windows firewall is off

I don't have norton - I use AVG

I can make a secondary connection with no probs....

I did update the router firmware - so perhaps something is hidden there? Netgear DG834G - Also I seem to have a very noisy ADSL line at the moment, so perhaps that is causing it? Regular browsing is OK but a little slow and the router looses sync several times a day.

Have to wait a couple of days for an engineer as it is public holiday here on Tuesday (France) so nothing will happen quickly.

I'll let you know what happens....

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 08:14:28 pm »
Kewl,

I will wait to hear from you on this..

mmbrown

update
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 08:14:19 am »
Ok - success at last :D

Found what was cuasing the problem: Windows Firewall - even though it was turned OFF!!!!!

In the "Advanced" tab for the fw settings found that under "network connection settings" LAN and Wireless neworks were checked as being protetced. Unchecked them and now everything is running fine again.  

I had assumed that turning the firewall "off" would turn it off, if you see what I mean. Uncle Bill obviously knows better! :roll:

Hope this might help others if they have a similar problem.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:08:11 pm »
Wow, you find new crap every day courtesy of Uncle Bill...
I guess to really turn it off you need to disable the service like I did
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

mmbrown

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 04:35:18 pm »
Hey nylly444 - why didn't I think of that instead of trusting the off button :x

Done  it now so hope it doesn't get turned on again mysteriously :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  U/Ls time out and no secondaries...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx