gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 08:55:58 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  OpenNap P2P file sharing returns …
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OpenNap P2P file sharing returns …  (Read 712 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
OpenNap P2P file sharing returns …
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:54:40 am »
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/30676

The original Napster P2P file sharing service comprised a protocol which let users to move files computer to computer.

Music industry pressure buried it in 2001. But soon after, it was disinterred as a pale facsimile of its former self and is today owned by Best Buy which, after spending $121 million to buy what amounts to little more than a name, is determined to become the first concern to actually make money out of the file sharing app that started it all.

But it’s too late for Napster to become anything more than just another overpriced, understocked download ’service’.

Meanwhile, “OpenNap is a peer-to-peer service server,” explains the Wikipedia.

It’s now being brought back to life as OpenNap 2.0 and is  slated to start development next year. But only if it satisfies the RIAA.

“We feel that it was time to allow sharing but have it setup so that copyrights were protected,” say the developers on the OpenNap revival site.  ”

The current release is under development, says the team going on »»»

We have plans to release this protocol in 2010.  Right now we’re still developing certain aspects of the project.

OpenNap is being developed for the following Operating Systems: POSIX systems: Linux, MAC OSX, UNIX, OpenSolari
Napster Clients

As of 2009, all clones using the original OpenNap protocol have been removed and discontinued.  We’re not supporting the old protocol due to violations of the RIAA.  Any attempt to download the old protocol will result as being non-supported.

We encourage development of new generation clients to use this protocol and to improve upon the work done here.

Downloads

Original downloads of the OpenNap protcol have been removed and destroyed to comply with the RIAA legal challenge. No attempt will be made to use the original code.

And Oh Yes – “We will if needed shut down this project if it doesn’t satisfy the RIAA requirements.”

"But only if it satisfies the RIAA."

Satisfying the RIAA is a tall order for anyone.  :yes:

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Re: OpenNap P2P file sharing returns …
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:21:43 am »
nothing would 'Satisfy the RIAA'
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: OpenNap P2P file sharing returns …
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:24:01 am »
True enough Bluey (other than complete Dictatorial control over what everyone on the planet listens to, when and how), but still, it's a step in a positive direction in one way or another. The more ways available to share files of any type the better, in my opinion.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  OpenNap P2P file sharing returns …

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx