gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 20, 2024, 09:35:32 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Spanish Events
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spanish Events  (Read 1753 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Spanish Events
« on: May 21, 2005, 06:39:37 am »
Another example here of "dirty tricks" by the Cartels.
Word seems to have spread of a leturer that was going to show legal content being downloaded from a peer to peer network, something the Cartel didnt like the sound of ..

http://homepage.mac.com/jorgecortell/blogwavestudio/LH20041209105106/LHA20050520091532/index.html

I received a call from the Director of the Masters Degree Program where I was teaching telling me that the Dean had called and had asked him to "make sure I did not teach there again", and on a second call saying "it's your choice, but also your responsibility".

The Director called me and first asked me to remove any link to the university from my website, and also to "hide" the fact that I was teaching there. Then he told me about the pressures and threats he and the Program received (to be subjected to software licenses inspection, copyright violations inspections, or anything that may damage them). Obviously I had to resign to save his job (and everybody else's at the Masters Program). So I did.

This poor guy resigned to save the university from the threat of unwarranted disruption to students and the university in general,
I believe this shows the Cartel as for what they are, an organised gang of thugs and financial bullies.

:x

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Spanish Events
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 01:02:56 pm »
Another case of not paying the Cartels "Music tax"  :x

http://www.museekster.com/weblisteninfo.htm

This on-line music platform, based in Madrid, Spain started way back in 1998 when the extension .mp3 was still unknown to most people.
Though licenses were granted by authors and artists, Weblisten never came to agreements with record labels. This obviously became fatal.
The legal battle went on for years, but this little Spanish David eventually was beaten by the Music Industry Goliath.

The Middleman always want his cake ...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Spanish Events
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:56:20 am »
Seems someone else got around to noticing the story and made another rehash..lol

http://www.dmeurope.com/default.asp?ArticleID=8257

Weblisten, a Spain-based website that offered many thousands of international and local songs for download and streaming, has been shut down by a the Third Criminal Court of Madrid following the company's admission of criminal copyright infringement.

Well if they have admitted the offence I suppose they are required by law to take all the usual steps to close down as the court has ordered , nothing new here . :roll:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Spanish Events
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 11:12:32 pm »
what have we here another one-sided set of laws that shows the hypocrites at work ?

http://www.edri.org/edrigram/number3.15/IPR

The Spanish government has issued a press release announcing a new draft Intellectual Property law. The law aims to adopt the existing copyright and intellectual property rights to the context of IT and implement the European Copyright Directive (2001/29/EC).

The main changes are:

1. The right to "interactive disposition" which regulates the way authors offer their works on the Internet.

2. Libraries can present their contents in telematic media as long as they remain within a closed intranet.

3. Quotes of both text and audiovisual material are allowed as long as its main use is teaching/ research. It is legal to quote press and journals as long as there are no economic benefits from such quotes. If the quote serves a commercial purpose, previous authorisation from the owner is necessary.

4. A new private copy regulation is designed to harmonise the rights of authors, distributors and users. The right to make a private copy is specifically acknowledged. To compensate for private (digital) copies, the Spanish government plans to create a new process to compensate for the economic impact. Within five months after the law is approved, all implied market sectors must reach an understanding about the type of economic compensation for every piece of sold equipment or information bearer suitable for digital copies.The agreement will be renewed every two years. The draft law specifically excludes hard disks and equivalents, DSL connections, as well as any other medium that doesn't have as its main goal to make copies.

5. The law creates a legal context for digital rights management (DRM). Spain has chosen for penal sanctions on circumvention. It also turns into a crime to publish about the very existence of systems to elude copyright protection.
The press release however promises some extra measures in order to assure that DRM won't collide with basic user rights.

So far, consumer organisations and cyberactivists are not very happy with the draft law. It doesn't address the problem of the levy on blank CDs. Organisations like Internautas have argued for a long time that many CDs are very commonly used to make back-ups of data. There is also a clear tension between allowing private copies and legally protecting DRM at the same time.
The announcement of possible extra measures does not specify how this tension will be addressed in practice.

This is another attack on folks freedom of speech as it quite clearly says just for linking to a site you can be held liable.
What else do I see.. a nice fat tax on you for buying things like blank disks and electrical items like mp3 players too possibly even a PC I suspect, stealth tax ?

What is annoying here is that you the public are being asked to subsidise the industry again after already purchasing their products, why should you have to pay twice, or 3 times if you cant play your DRM disk in your car, theiving from the public is wrong and immoral .

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Re: Spanish Events
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:01:31 am »
What a weird Verdict foks

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/business/technology/15913265.htm

A Spanish judge has dismissed a case against a man who shared music files on the Internet, saying he committed no crime because his aim was not to make money.
In a ruling made public Thursday, Judge Paz Aldecoa of No. 3 Penal Court in the northern city of Santander said that there was ``no talk of money or any other compensation beyond the sharing of material available among various users.''

`No offense meriting penal sanction has been committed,'' the ruling said.

The state prosecutor's office and two music distribution associations had sought a two-year sentence against the 40-year-old man, whose identity the court asked not to be revealed.
The prosecution accused the man of violating copyright laws by downloading albums from Internet file-sharing systems and then offered them to others through e-mail and chat rooms.

But the judge said a guilty verdict ``would imply the criminalization of socially accepted and widely practiced behavior in which the aim is in no way to make money illicitly, but rather to obtain copies for private use.''

My respects to the Judge who correctly interpreted the law, as most file sharing is of a non-commercial nature no loss of revenue was ever in the equation anyway.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:46:18 am »
A Spanish judge has dismissed a case against a man who shared music files on the Internet, saying he committed no crime because his aim was not to make money.

Lmao :lol:
That has to be the most funny yet a 100% true reason why he shouldn't be convicted.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 12:09:38 am »
A further update on the above case from Slycks.

http://www.slyck.com/story1340.html

Since the case focused on private copying without profit, the situation in Spain would suggest that an individual can download and distribute copyrighted work with impunity - providing it was done without profit. But don't expect the entertainment industry to wrap up its enforcement campaign just yet.

The IFPI feels since case was specific against the distribution of pirated CDs for profit and not file-sharing, this ruling does not change the legality of trading copyrighted works. In a statement, the IFPI expressed the status of unauthorized file-sharing has not changed.

“This case is not about p2p file-sharing – the judgment refers to an individual who distributed physical music CD-Rs that he had advertised on the internet. Swapping copyright infringing music through peer-to-peer networks remains illegal in Spain as it is throughout Europe and the virtually everywhere else. The Spanish Justice Minister has confirmed in a statement that file-sharing copyrighted music without permission is illegal. The judgment is being appealed.”

Although the IFPI claims this judgment is not about P2P or file-sharing, its interesting to note the decision is being appealed - not to mention the law allowing private copying is being reconsidered.

I get the idea this took the IFPI and lackies by storm and they will be applying bribes and threats to politicians to get something more to their liking as they do in most countries they try to extort revenue in.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Spanish Events

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx