gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 08:23:47 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Government e-petitions give power to the people
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Government e-petitions give power to the people  (Read 570 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Government e-petitions give power to the people
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:56:01 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8380736.stm

I have edited this version from the full article.

Government plans to roll out e-petitions across the UK could offer people a real say in the democratic process, a conference has heard. The legislation to make e-petitions compulsory for all councils in the UK comes into force in April 2010.

It could result in a national e-petition scheme and force Westminster to take more notice of people power, thinks web guru Tom Steinberg.

E-petitions allow citizens to raise issues with government.

It also gives them a chance to have a say in political processes.

One of the biggest problems with the Number 10 e-petition scheme is that it bypasses parliament meaning that there is little obligation to follow through on the campaigns raised. (Editors note - If the numbers are big enough they take notice)

"Whether or not it will get better is down to the government," Despite criticisms of the Downing Street system, it has proved popular, clocking over 10 million signatures to date.

"It is likely there is also resistance from MPs, unsure of whether they want a closer relationship with citizens. "

I naively thought politicians represented their citizens, Going by the comment above it seems that I was wrong !!!!!

Keep the pressure on and get signing this one straight away - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/ 8)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Government e-petitions give power to the people

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx