gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 09:12:52 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Cartel Worried ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cartel Worried ?  (Read 3076 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Cartel Worried ?
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:25:56 am »
Folk donating freely to a creative commons licence have disturbed the recording industries, is this perhaps because the "free lunch" approach provides them with no hope for future royalties that they trade amongst themselves as business assets ?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050521/media_nm/music_copyright_dc_1

Creative Commons dates back to 2001, when a number of figures from the academic world recognized that there was no mechanism in place to inform Internet users how to easily locate copyright owners. Nor was there a way for Web users to determine whether works posted on the Internet -- essays, articles, photographs, poetry, music -- could be used freely as public-domain works or in some ways without the copyright owner's permission.

The Cartel are rather scared by this kind of informed and very appluadable action.

Their propaganda states that the artist is giving away all of his rights, not srictly true as there are various licence systems in place to allow an artist choice and they (the artist) are free as is anyone else not to release their works under such a licence.

Its my opinion that they have become used to living off  artists hard work for years now (some have never received a cent), and expect everyone to feel that donating something to the collective good is wrong if you can't generate a profit.

I,m sure artists will act sensibly and retain rights to the majority of their works and licence them accordingly (not sell them to the Cartel).

KM

Re: Cartel Worried ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 01:20:13 pm »
Quote from: GhostShip
I,m sure artists will act sensibly and retain rights to the majority of their works and licence them accordingly (not sell them to the Cartel).

they do that, the cartel tell them where to go, they get refused by the companies that produce the CD's if they try to publish themselves, and of course by the distributers...

we need a few of the big artists that are extremely popular to start releasing songs for free or at least releasing without the cartel before anything will change... and they aren't going to be very willing to go against the people that have made them rich...

perhaps michael jackson will get pissed off with the cartel not helping him out and will release all of the songs he owns the rights to for free...? lol  (most of his money has come from owning the rights to other artists tracks)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Cartel Worried ?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:01:18 pm »
This article seems to confirm the situation, "change or be left behind" is the message it seems

http://knowledge.wpcarey.asu.edu/index.cfm?fa=viewArticle&id=1046

The Supreme Court is expected to rule next month whether Grokster, a Napster-like file-sharing network for downloading music and other digital entertainment, can be held liable for facilitating copyright infringement. But even if the music industry wins the case, two marketing professors at the W. P. Carey School of Business argue that it will ultimately lose if it keeps fighting consumers. Their research suggests that trying to stem music downloads through legal action and technology is likely to cost the industry more business than it preserves.

I dont suppose for a minute that the Cartel will take any notice of this , after all they make plenty of cash suing children and dead folks  :roll:

:wink:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Cartel Worried ?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 04:59:52 pm »
I thought you all might enjoy this idea proposed by the author, although he loses his thread a bit, to subject us to his unastute reasoning.

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050512.gtdejagermay12/BNStory/Technology/

Let's face facts, when it comes to digital files, copyright is dead.
Not because the idea copyright has no merit. A creator of a work has the right to control, in any way they choose, the use of that work. Copyright is dead because it is impossible, despite thousands of RIAA lawsuits to the contrary, to enforce copyright laws in a digital world.

The lines of conflict between those who believe that digital works exist for the taking, and those (like me) who believe that creators of any form of intellectual property have the inherent right to control the use of that work, are well and clearly established

We all in our hearts know that we like to pay for what we like and in return we want a similar recompense for our own efforts ...
Yeah I know sounds complete BS, but who is anyone to say that their work is worth more than you own ?
I think the author should stop with the childish semantics, and help implement the pay system, if he feels that is the way forward.

KM

Cartel Worried ?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 06:16:46 pm »
We all in our hearts know that we like to pay for what we like

and if the cartel ever need any proof of that, they just need to take a look at all the various free things that recieve donations simply because people like them. If they make something good people will pay for it even if they do have the option of getting it for free - and they dont even need to test that theory, because there are many people (mostly software developers) who have already tested it with donation systems

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Cartel Worried ?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 03:17:25 am »
A worth a read article covering some of the facts and figures that get bandied about in the battle for ratings/viewers.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2120335/#ContinueArticle

In 2003, the six major studios—Disney, Warner Bros., Sony, 20th Century Fox, Universal, and Paramount—spent, on average, $34.8 million to advertise a movie and earned, on average, just $20.6 million per title. Even if the studios had made the movies for free—which, of course, they didn't—they would have lost $14.2 million per film on the theatrical run, or what the industry calls "current production." Given the fleeting attention span of the target audiences (mainly TV-watching teens) and the unmemorable nature of the ad copy, the studios believe they must show the same ad on the same programs at least eight times in order to draw an audience. As a result, the studios spend more to lure a teenager into a theater than they receive at the box office, which is reminiscent of the joke about the idiot in the garment business who "loses money on every sale but makes it up on volume."

I think theres less to this article than there could have been, but I suppose it made the authors views clear enough on what action Hollywood needs  to take to update its business model.

KM

Cartel Worried ?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:08:20 pm »
hardly comes as a suprise that google are valued as being worth more than all the other "media" companies mentioned, they dont waste money on attacking people, and they dont waste money on advertising things people dont want

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Cartel Worried ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx