gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 06:35:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  PLEASE help...Problems with Vista / Windows 7
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PLEASE help...Problems with Vista / Windows 7  (Read 8131 times)

jimy

PLEASE help...Problems with Vista / Windows 7
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:57:31 pm »
Hi everyone.  I know I prob should  be asking this somewhere else, but having trouble finding right place to post.  So, here goes.  You all have been so much help to me, so I have much confidence.  This is regarding my Vista Home Premim 64bit UPGRADE to WINDOWS 7 on my HP Touchsmart TX2 1274nr !!!!!

I inserted disc 1 and updated BIOS and then moved on to disc 2, the win 7 operating disc.  After  few minutes, and it got done with compatibility check, I got the following report & recommendations BEFORE i continue with the upgrade to win 7:

Upgrading Windows will affect the following features: 

Windows Mail is no longer included in Windows; however your e-mail files and settings will still be available after the upgrade. To send and receive e-mail you will need to install a new e-mail program. You can get e-mail programs from other software manufacturers or from the Microsoft website.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs: 

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.
Keyboard Filter
These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
HP MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video *
iTunes (Please deauthorize computer prior to upgrade)
ATI CATALYST Install Manager *
ATI Catalyst Control Center *
Agatha Christie - Death on the Nile *
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe *
Chuzzle Deluxe *
Slingo Deluxe *
Wedding Dash *
Zuma Deluxe *

*****I cannot find the "keyboard filter" it refers to so I know not how to update the driver???[/li][/list]

**I opened itunes and deauthorized my compuer, but should I ununstall it completely before upgrading?

**I located the ATI Catalyst Install Manager in the programs & features list, but not sure i should uninstall ALL components and do express uninstall??? I selected custom, and it had 3 lists....one neing he Catalyst Control Center, so since that was also on the list to be uninstalled, I did that.  But, ATI Catalyst Install Manager swtill appears in my program & features list!?!?!?!?!?!?

**I uninstalled the games it said to

Can anyone help/advise????   Refer me if I shouldn't ass this here???  Thank u much in advance...

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:40:14 pm »
http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=Multi_Touch    <<<< filter driver available here check bottom right of page

**I opened itunes and deauthorized my compuer, but should I ununstall it completely before upgrading?
You risk losing nothing by uninstalling/reinstalling what it does is enable the amount of computers you can authorize on. iTunes enables you authorize up to 5 PC's, but you won't be doing anything like that, all you need to do after upgrading to Windows 7 is reinstall iTunes then reauthorize the machine.

Check link below for ATI CATALYST Install Manager  ATI Catalyst Control Center   info

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/a9ac3de2-3011-42a5-b12d-90e91467cba8

Also there is a link below for any other drivers after upgrade to windows 7 for your HP Touchsmart TX2 1274nr  direct from HP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&cc=us&product=3998680&lang=en&dlc=en

Hope this helps  :)

jimy

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:12:47 pm »
you are so damn smart.  seriously.  why can't this be more streamlined, though.  that s what hp help made it sound like t would be.  i seem to be having the exact issues with the ati that the person in tht thread was having...

also, so the keyboard filter i referring to the ntig duosense digitizer????  i went to that link.  should i dl and install before the upgrade???  or is it after i upgrade (since it says win 7).  whatever this keyboard filter is, is is reommending it be updated prior to upgrade to windows 7, which is why i'mconused.  

i'm such an idiot...

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:26:53 pm »
For some reason HP seem to have most problems with upgrades.... don't know why but i see a hell of a lot of HP related problems on different forums.

Personally i would download and store in your documents, load before & if there are any problems reload after upgrade... in my experience even though it warns some things might not work most generally tend to & if not just a driver update is required.

If you are still unsure then use the link below as this is a great source of help/info for all windows 7 users/up-graders
http://www.sevenforums.com/

Jimy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:29:41 pm »
Sounds good.  Will try.  Don't know how to thank u.  Will post and let u know how it all goes

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:17 am »
No problem jimmy .... makes our life a lot easier & enables us to help quickly when people give as much info as you did ... Good luck with the install I'm sure you will much preferr windows 7 to vista  :)

jimy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:54 pm »
well, despite all of your excellent advice, i had to recover my system and go back to windows vista. this is just so drustrating & ascinine!!!  If hp is going to put out a product, have it work.  Also, addresses the issues competently.  HPO help acts clueless.  I ended up performing the upgrade.  When completed, my touch function on the screen was lost.  So i went to the link u provided (THANK U!) and installed the N-Tig Digitizer Win 7 drivers and function recovered.  But, right from the get go, seemed like my systemwas performing weird (for lack of better words)...hanging and slower I guess.  AND, my internet pages would load initally for a few minutes and then CAPUT....I would put in a website or click a link and the cursor would just fo round and round and I'd wait for the pages to load and inothing.  I was up again almost all night therefore recovering windows back to the vista.  no one at hpo seems to address people's specific issues.  i guess i am the only one having these issues.  this is so crazy and perplexing...

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:33:03 pm »
Sounds like a faulty instalation ... the hanging could have been caused by the indexing service that runs initially in windows 7 to enable you to use the search function (this tends to ease off after a while)
Dont know if you have checked it out but there is a HP support forum who will be able to help you
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/
The problems you seem to be getting seem to stem from HP`s upgrade package & driver support rather than the usual windows7 generic problems Might be worth trying to contact them to see if they do a upgrade with drivers intergrated for your system.

Jimy

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:48:28 pm »
Thanks.  I actually did go to those forums...I did post a long descripter under the tx2 section to start with.  This is so frustrating.  I just feel deflated.  I always am the one to have issues...nothing seems to go as advertised for me......sigh

jimy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:13:39 am »
hell on earth...LONG story but i started the upgrad all over.  idn't remov anythng first. i thought it worked! i was so excited.

NOW...whenever a window is open...the frame...or bar at the top...periodically flashes or solmething?????  OMG  what is going on????

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:17:57 am »
click start >>> right click my computer and go to propertied and select device manager and check for any driver problems (will be a symbol next to any if a problem)
At a guess i would say its a display driver problem
Try reinstalling any of the display drivers from here  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&cc=us&product=3998680&lang=en&dlc=en
does this happen on all windows?
Also have you tried to re-size the window and does the same thing happen if you do?

Jimy

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:36:20 am »
Hey...thanks for getting back to me.  I really do appreciate it.  It seems that it's with any open window no matter size.  It's hard to explain.  I don't notice any "flash" or "flicker" (not sure what to call it) in the main part of the pages of open window.  Um, just it's almost like it correlates with the the running of the hard drive....as hard drive light is processing and it's as if the window gets selected and deslected if u wil so what I notice is only the menu bar part at the top of the window like it gets selected and deselected real fast with the rhthymn of the hard drive processing.  Lol.  I'm sorry...trying so hard to explain!  Will check the device manager ---> display drivers. And let u know,,,,   THANK U

jimy

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »
o...don't see anything indicating error on device drivers list.  i also tried updating flash and such.  i notice...in my start menu under all programs, there is just interet explorer and also internet explorer (64 bit).  it kinda seems like when on intenet in 64 bit IE that it is not really doing it....yet.  but, when i've gon to certain websites it won't play certain flash objects...and when i click to install, it tells me not yet installable on 64 bit windows versions...

?????

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 06:04:28 pm »
Have you updated from the windows update site at all yet... if not do so
is IE8 installed? if not it might be advisable to do so
Also there is still no support for 64bit flash in windows IE or ff browsers so until there is just use the 32bit one and try update flash from there.
Try right click on your IE go to properties and change the compatibility tab this might stop the problem you have.
Sorry to make you do so many things but this problem i have not come across before so its a process of elimination and trial and error I'm afraid jimmy.

jimy

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »
Hey HellOnEarth...I'm really sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I had something going on...well, was mt birthday on Groundhog's day...lol...so had to go to dinner at a friend's house yesterday.

Ok...yes, when I reinstalled windows 7 for the 2nd time, I let it perform all the wondows updates until I kept going to update and there weren't anymore.  I even sdearched for optional updates and picked ones that applied to me or my software and what have you.  Also, IE explorer in upgraded to v. 8 as well!

This issues is hard for me to explain.  It's not just in IE I think.  It's like when you are doing anything, it's like the window flashes so whatever you are doing...like typing an email or something...it gets interrupted for a few seconds until it goes back to the window your currently on or something.  But, you end up not being able to type full sentences because during the second or so it does this "flash" of the window and then back or whatever it is doing, it is missing letters or words you were typing while it does this "flash"...ARRRRGGGHHHH

I can't figure this out and I can't explain it well enough.  So sorry.  I did not understand what you meant about right clicking my IE and going to compatibility tab.  I tried right clicking my IE icon on the taskbar, on the start menu.,..or opening it up and selecting properties and not finding any tabs for "compatibility."

ALSO, HP includes a prgram called HP Support Assistant.  WHen you run it, you can do a system health check, which includes a check with the HP site for software updates...etc...etc.  Anyway, when this ran last night, it listed several "important" updates, but didn't flag them as you need to absolutely do then.  One was to update the WinFlash BIOS or something.  When it did the check of my current BIOS and then showed the updated version number, I had a previous version.  So I had it perform that update along with some others.  Do you think this could possibly sound like a BIOS issue.  To be honest, because I am not an expert on computers and how they run, I don't entirely sure what the BIOS is and what it controls.  lol.  I know, I'm pretty ignorant.

Now, I did this late  last night.  Well, this morning when I truned on the computer.  It was doing it really bad.  Trying to type an email to someone and every so often the window would flash or highlight for sec or so and all my sentences were mnessed up.  So, I ran the health check thing again, and it still listend all the recommended updates that i had it install last night...including the bios one.  So, i selected all and hit install again and when it got to the BIOS update one and ran the Bios check, when it listed curtrent version and the updated version, they were the same...with the current version being the updated one, so I guess it must have installed last night.  I am so furstrated and confused.  I hope things update when it says they update.

ALSO...and this is TOATLLY UNRELATED...but IRRITATING.  Let me see if I can explain this.  You know how usually when you open a folder and you want to rearrange contants within...you would usually click the itme and move it and it usually would insert a black line at the spot you wanted to move it to and release it so things are organized how you want them.  Well, it seems I cannot do this.  I have tried  going to control panel and folder options and read through most of it for a setting that would allow me to custom arrange folder contant or what have you but I have been unsuccesful.  So, it's like I grab the folder and scrool with it to a place where I want to place it within the folder but doesn't highligh the space between itmes so I can drop it there.  It just wants to drop it within another folder which I don't want to do. AM I MAKING ANY SENSE AT ALL with this one?????

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »
Happy birthday m8 hope you had a great day.

I have been scouring the net to try find a fix for your screen flashing problem and although you have not modified it yourself it could have been caused by the upgrade so check out this link as it seems to be a common problem and fix for this
http://www.webtlk.com/2009/06/02/how-to-fix-screen-flash-in-windows-7/

also another thing to cause this has been power plan settings  Change the Power Options from Maximum Battery Life to Maximum Performance

1. Start
2. Control Panel
3. All Control Panel items
4. Power Options
5. Edit Plan Settings
6. Change the Power Options from Maximum Battery Life to Maximum Performance

Another fix has been to Uninstall all the adobe flash and shockwave objects.  Now reboot, and browse to adobe website and reload.

Something else to consider is to try dissabling aero
Disabling Aero in Windows 7
Right click the Desktop
Click Personalize
Under 'Basic and High Contrast Themes, click 'Windows 7 Basic'

For your other problem im sorry there is no fix at this time

Windows Explorer in Windows 7 uses a new custom list view control that doesn't support custom ordering like the old one did. So in folder views you can no longer drag items around to rearrange them. Basically, pretty much nobody used this (except on the desktop, where it is still supported), and re-implementing it in the new virtualized list view wasn't worth the cost.

You can sort the items by any of their properties, such as name, date, etc.

Jimy

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:25 am »
You are awesome.  I can not thank u enough for all of your time and effort with this. I have learned so much.  Seriously.

You won't believe this because I hardly can...but I think it may be fixed.  I can't really believe it but I am hopeful.

It was bothering me that it seemed to not be doing it when doing things on the 64 bit version of IE. BUT...NO FLASH ABILITY on sites.  So, I tried installing a prerelease trial I found on adobe, v. 10.1.  That didn't solve the problem with the flashing while using regular IE but still NO FLASH CAPABILITY on IE 64 bit.

So...I decided to chat with an adobe help rep.  He claimed that the newer versions don't work on Win 7 and some other browsers.  He then said to install adobe's flash player VERSION 9.  He  CLAIMED it would allow flash player to work on the 64 bit IE.  Sooooo, I wasn't sure which version of 9 to install.  There were several, including the debugger versions.  I wasn't sure of what that meant.  So I installed the last version of the debugger flash player 9.

AND....

It didn't work on the 64 bit IE! LOL

BUT...so far...when I've been on the regular version of IE for the rest of the day...
NO FLASHING OF THE BROWSER WINDOW!!!!!!!!

Can I believe this!!!!!

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 07:10:43 am »
Thats cool jimmy ...the good thing about it is that if there are any more problems its pretty certain to be something to do with adobe ... lets hope they get there asses into gear and sort out the version for 64 bit..... if there are any more problems dont hesitate to give us a shout (perhaps under pc aid section though) Worth checking out as there are some usefull tips there as well.

Jimy

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 12:44:19 am »
I certainly will!  And ps...so far still so good...no flashings.  THANK GOD.  Lol. But I have learned quite a bit because of all your help & hard work.  Again....thank you!  I certainly will come back for more help if/when needed but will go to the right section! Promise.

• WMW Volunteer
Re: PLEASE help...Problems with Vista / Windows 7
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:09 pm »
no worries jimmy and while you are at it join as a member everyone welcome here  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  PLEASE help...Problems with Vista / Windows 7

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx