gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 08:26:54 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Room Hosts
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Room Hosts  (Read 7947 times)

Offline Blitzen

• Forum Member
Room Hosts
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:48:23 am »

I am curious if a room host has in their room topic advertising the sharing of movies etc if they could then become a target for copyright infringement groups, simply for providing a room to facilitate sharing. If there is a possibility maybe room hosts need to change their room topics and on entry messages ;)

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
Re: Room Hosts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:05 am »
well Max if you think about it, it's at least quite thinkable that any roomhost of a room with sharing purposes would at least be higher on the list of most wanted people in my opinion and you can ask yourself also .. how smart is it to tag files (like many rooms and users do) all these things might work against us if things get worse then they are now the way i see it
i m not predicting things will turn bad but you do have a good point there

i m dutch and in the netherlands i guess we don t need to worry too much (YET), but i don t know about other counties and laws
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:57 am »
uuuuh sorry ...BLITZEN ... now where thos damn glasses LOLOLLLL
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:02 am »
Hi lads,
yes i hear what you're saying Blitzen, thing is, 99% of movie rooms do boast their latest movies in topic to encourage ppl in,
so it is hard for people to change habit like that, after all, there are more movie rooms than anything else,

Oh Joshua, sorry i borrowed your glasses, ~o.o~ there you go.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline Blitzen

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:21:20 am »
LOL  Joshua i have been called many things but never a Max :p

Yeh many rooms do use their topics to advertise but i was just kind of thinking aloud especially with the ever increasing activity of the bad guys lookin to nail us all.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:09:47 am »
hehehehe sorry yeah sorry about that LOL ..i was really just outof bed and missed my reading monoculars (hard to find without having them on my nose btw LOL)

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:48 am »
thnx Max, now go buy your own  :o LMAO

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:57 pm »
Those Topic lines CAN be useful tho, if carefully thought out...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »
Even the topics of conversation in those rooms could help too..
:P
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:51:13 pm »
Hi guys,

I think anything is possible, but as yet I don't think there is any precedent to support a room host being targetted.

They did force frontcode to take down the caches, while frontcode wasn't actualy sharing any copyrighted material.

Like I said, anything is possible, but I wouldn't worry at the moment, I think at worst they can force you to close the room and order you to pay court costs. It's not until they catch you and proove you share copyright material that they can seek damages.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:55 pm »
It was my belief folks went to those rooms to discuss movies and other materials and how good or bad it was, however in all cases of infringement the uploader of the file is the one who is liable and not the room host unless they are one and the same person, there is no law that stops you gathering to chat about movies and plenty of law to protect freedoms of speech and expression.

Frontcode closed rather than waste all their saving on fighting a bully, so yes they where forced but not by any law.

Secondary liability is unlikely to be used as in most cases and countries (except the US) there is no such law as secondary infringement thus encouraging folks is fully legal as long as your not making any revenue from it personally thats when the law may apply and its called commercial piracy, I hope that helps.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26:20 pm »
well i can t completely agree with that, sure this is a different story but hmmm how do i put this so some may remember to what story i m refering to without telling it in full detail

once upon a time ....lol no that aint it...lol

i ve read a story somewhere (i think here about one or a few rooms that were setup for the purpose of sharing very disgusting material (i hope you know what i mean), if i m not mistaking ..roomhosts and admins were traced and arrested

i m not trying to scare anyone but i do think being carefull is not a dumb thing to do, in my opinion all this advertising could be used against you...on the other hand i m not a lawyer

i think topics like come in today we offer ÿadayadayaddah 2010 could be not so smart at the least

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:54 pm »
I know the room and its history and in the case you cite the operator was sharing foul material that is illegal under criminal law, most file sharing falls under civil law meaning the owners of the copyright have to make some sort of claim before anyone does anything and its most certainly not a criminal offence unless revenue or goods change hands.

The law should be something you all look over on some occasion as without knowing specifically what is or is not an offence you weaken both your own rights and the rights of others who rely on a common set of values to hold that law to account.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 12:08:03 am »
very true i guess GS

but it never hurts to be very carefull if you don t know, in my opinion a big advertising topic content with specific info is a bad idea and sending random pm to users you don t know hmmm i dunnow, i ve recieved very strange messages from admins and roomhosts over the years (some even looked like blackmail) ..do they know who they re inviting ?? i could be the devil in disguise hahahaha
not only annoying but stupid if you ask me

in my country the law is pretty easy going, but we got a brain to use it and be carefull.. thats how i feel about things like this.. eventhough i also do  or did some stuff that i still have some doubts about sometimes on how smart it is/was

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 02:35:34 am »
Its always best to judge matters prudently and carefully before jumping in thats for sure.

I havent visited any of those rooms myself but no doubt those operaing them are aware of any implications of their actions and if they truly are sharing infinging content and hosting then no doubt they have assessed the risks of legal action accordingly, or at least common sense would dictate they have.

It is also well known some folks will say anything to get folks in their rooms  :yes:

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 03:25:09 am »
i must admit i have a habbit of not visiting any rooms anymore for a long time, most of all because of these actions mentioned earlier and a few bad experiences when i was just starting (that doesn't mean it was n't fun anymore, i just went on my merry own way and learned alot)

It is also well known some folks will say anything to get folks in their rooms
all the more reason not to visit, to me anyway, often what i m in que for can be found somewhere else and if not well TOUGH LUCK  heheheh

but i guess were drifting off topic... it might be a good idea to put some.. what to do and what not to do's in the roomhost section, i mean what would be smart and what not, because i think Blitzen had a good point there when he started this topic

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 08:21:41 am »
Its not for us to make any rules for the chat folks Joshua, I expect someone can write up some common sense do's and donts's for them but I for one wont be writing any rule-book  :no:

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:06 am »
The thing is, if there was a do's and dont's section,
1.who would read it?
2.alot of movie rooms are people that open their own room to boast what they have,
3.movie rooms tend to know better with their topic's wishing to appear that they have more than the others,

its only the well established long term room hosts that frequent this forum,
quite a few new hosts don't even know it exists until we tell them, they are the vulnerable ones.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline Blitzen

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:24 am »
I don't think it hurts to make people think a little bit when they perhaps read this but i do not think it would be wise to try and advise people of what to do as one of the attractive things of the winmx chat is that its decentralized and not governed :)

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56:56 pm »
Its not for us to make any rules for the chat folks Joshua, I expect someone can write up some common sense do's and donts's for them but I for one wont be writing any rule-book  :no:
I don't think it hurts to make people think a little bit when they perhaps read this but i do not think it would be wise to try and advise people of what to do as one of the attractive things of the winmx chat is that its decentralized and not governed :)

This is n't what i meant with " do's and do n't's " either, i just meant some tips on what s smart and what not (so smart), just some tips on what would make your room popular and most of keep users, admins and hosts  in it safe from any possible so called "dangers" or leaps , all of you know i m all for freedom to let every body do their thing  i hope?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Room Hosts

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx