gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 01:01:43 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Lots of files in transfers window = freezes ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Lots of files in transfers window = freezes ?  (Read 1732 times)

Bob

Lots of files in transfers window = freezes ?
« on: July 18, 2010, 02:05:00 am »
I just added a bunch (over 1000) new files to download. Now when I start WinMX, it won't display all of them in the transfers window, so I use the "load incomplete" button. So far, so good. The problem starts when I try to select all those files and right-click on them for any simple operation such as setting AFS and AEQ. WinMX will freeze (white screen) for several minutes just to accept the given command, and sometimes won't recover from the freeze and I end up terminating the process.

Is this normal behaviour given the number of files ? Maybe a limitation in WinMX ? Or is it something else ?

I'm using XP SP3 with WinMX 3.54b4 and the community patch 1.0 , if that makes any difference.

Any help much appreciated.

Bob

Re: Lots of files in transfers window = freezes ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:11:30 am »
Note - I've already read the pertinent help section but nothing in there seems to apply to my problem: I'm on a secondary connection, only third party I use is MXMonitor but I completely disabled it and the problem persists, my GDI objects are only just above 100, and that M$ patch doesn't apply to SP3.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:26:40 am »
usually i ld say there should be no problem, but because you seem to have a problem ..have you tried doing this in a few smaller steps? just a thought
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:32:19 am »
why 1000 files in one hit?

even if you could get them all running at once, its gonna be incredibly slow...

if you set your default AFS and AEQ settings beforehand, they would all be right to go, altho AFS is not gonna visit each file real often, it does then one at a time...

but try selecting about 20 or 50 files each time, not all 1000
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:05:16 am »
at around 100+ more than what load automatically, you are pushing it, but it should still work... 'quick' way to auto-set all the AEQ-AFS is first; disconnect from the wpn in the networks tab, trust me on this, then go back to transfers left click the top file.. scroll to the bottom.. hold shift... and click the bottom file (this will select all files since ctrl+a does not work in the trasfers window) let go of shift and right click any of one of them and set AEQ-AFS and all will have the same settings ... a short.... or long... 'freeze' will occour between each set but winmx itself shouldnt crash (the disconnect is needed to make sure network traffic doesnt back up while doing this)... it will eat 100% cpu for quite a while (used to stick for around 5 to 10 mins depending on what kind of cpu i was using at the time doing this little trick) between setting those two... but it eventually works... once all files are set click 'connect' again... that behavior is normal...

note: make sure programs like mxmoni and leechammer are not running when re-loading/re-setting the files....

a good idea if you dont like doing that every time is once you have all your incompletes loaded and set the way you want is to leave winmx running.... when you dont want to download/upload go to the network tab and click 'disconnect' .. minimise the app and just leave it... when you want to start d/ling again restore it and click 'connect' ... tho this will leave the last few running transfers running till they either finish or break it wont start any new ones... ...if you need to shut down your computer another good way to keep from having to do that again is to enable xps 'hibernate' function and hibernate the computer rather than shut it down... the psu will switch off just like shutting down but windows and winmx will be waiting to pick back up where it left off...

Bob

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:00:45 am »
Thanks, guys... I guess it's "normal" then i.e. a WinMX limitation and there isn't much I can do.

I've been using WinMX for years and while I normally don't add thousands of files to the queue in one go (had a recent hard drive failure and lost a good portion of un-backed data, that's why...), there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to. I'm just queuing them for later download, not trying to download them all at the same time, that's why there are settings to control the number of simultaneous downloads and uploads... this is obviously just another design shortcoming showing WinMX's age and its interrupted developing/beta status... heh.

Thanks again.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:53:41 am »
dont forget too, bob, winmx was always designed to run in the background, limits itself to 10% of your bandwidth...

hence some of the limitations, they are a design feature, not a flaw...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Lots of files in transfers window = freezes ?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 27 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx