gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 03:52:45 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  How do you feel about the 2GB file sharing limit?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How do you feel about the 2GB file sharing limit?  (Read 6829 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
How do you feel about the 2GB file sharing limit?
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »
This is my first poll on this forum. I found that the options boxes were very small so I hope i did not make any typos I missed. Its makes it a little more difficult to catch mistakes when you can only see the first 4 words you typed. The options were kinda of long, but I felt it was necessary. If you chose I did not have a good enough understanding of the inner workings of the WPN & client to create this survey then please keep your comments professional. Remember, I do strongly care about the well being of WinMX & the WPN just like many of the rest of you. 
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
Re: How do you feel about the 2GB file sharing limit?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »
I voted other.  This is because I believe a balance could be made to continue supporting the current protocol for file transfers as is, and also integrate a "new improved" protocol for other clients also supporting the new protocol.  The main limit imposed by the current protocol (imo) is that the protocol uses a set number of bytes to represent things in packets sent such as hashes and filesize.  If a new packet was sent and received by a new client, it could switch between the current and new protocols for file size with each individual connection.  This said it would require some other additions to enable primary clients to manage the filelists when 1 new client shares their list of large files.

*ramble over*

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:16 pm »
Ain't this another useless poll?
I think we all can agree the 2Gb limit is not nice, however, it is not smart to change the protocol in this stage.
Many other options would be nice to be added, but first of all, there must be a working client which has the current features of WinMx where maybe the only change is a built in patch as a matter of speech.

my 2 cents

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »
It's not really feasible to implement this kind of change via a patch or even a new client for the current network.

The file hashes are based on the file size being a 32 bit integer (4GB max unsigned, 2GB max signed) (4 bytes). The file size in browse results, search results, uploading files to a primary to share on the network all rely on the file size being 4 bytes and it's just not a thing you can get away with changing and expecting everything else to be compatible.

This is the same problem that is going to happen in the next year with IPV6.  IPV4 addresses are 4 bytes, IPV6 addresses are 16 bytes.   The core WPN network protocol depends on the IP Address being 4 bytes, chat room hash codes are based off IPV4, the executable itself (Winmx.exe) does not support IPV6.

It comes down to the issue of we need a brand new network rather than trying to upgrade an old one.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:15 am »
Bieb simply because you seem unable to figure out anything other than how to use a bittorrent client in your rush to get sued, please don't feel the rest of us have no idea how to theorise and implement updating mechanisms based primarily on improving the existing model, I grow bored of daily repetitions of your "torrent fanboi" claims, please take something on board for me, winmx is not all about how to obtain bluray rips as tbh I know most folks don't even care for blueray, its overpriced and likely to not even last as long as a VCR cassette, many old vcrs are still outliving DVD and audio disks that where supposed to last forever and this claim is not even being made for blueray disks, I expect they will oxidise in about 4 years and the actual players will expire in about 2 1/2 so you can repurchase those items multiple times over, it seem a fool and their money are easily parted but theres many a canny user holding on to their winmx versions, ask yourself what they know that you don't .  

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:13 am »
Bieb simply because you seem unable to figure out anything other than how to use a bittorrent client in your rush to get sued, please don't feel the rest of us have no idea how to theorise and implement updating mechanisms based primarily on improving the existing model, I grow bored of daily repetitions of your "torrent fanboi" claims, please take something on board for me, winmx is not all about how to obtain bluray rips as tbh I know most folks don't even care for blueray, its overpriced and likely to not even last as long as a VCR cassette, many old vcrs are still outliving DVD and audio disks that where supposed to last forever and this claim is not even being made for blueray disks, I expect they will oxidise in about 4 years and the actual players will expire in about 2 1/2 so you can repurchase those items multiple times over, it seem a fool and their money are easily parted but theres many a canny user holding on to their winmx versions, ask yourself what they know that you don't . 

I think you need to open up your eyes and stop living in the past by trying to suppress every new technological development that threatens to change your old view of the technological world.

My last post had no mention of bittorent at all, I was simply talking about the WinMX network and the issue that RReactor brought up. It seems you're just bringing up bittorent as a side topic to focus the thread on arguing about that and using it to fight back at me when I never even mentioned it once in this thread. So I think it's you who need to get a grasp on what is actually going on.

Going back to technological changes. People are buying large 1080p television sets, and people want to watch HD material on them. A dvdrip looks like crap on a 55 inch 1080p tv.

Again you bring up another side topic about the physical disks that have nothing to do what I was talking about at all. BluRay rips, hd tv show rips, etc. etc. is the new material that people are after. The 2GB limit gets in the way and this topic is for discussing that issue.

As the network stands now it's not able to be easily modified to support 64bit integer sized file transfers without a major overhaul.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:16:59 am »
I expect they will oxidise in about 4 years and the actual players will expire in about 2 1/2
actually 'laser rot' hasnt happened to any optical media since they finally mastered the art of pressing laserdiscs back in the 80s.... and videocds were used for many many years where it was far too humid for a vhs deck to even function... dvd has taken vcds place in this areas..  ... as far as the players... they last.. trust me.. still got my first gen ps3 (the one that can also still play ps2 games) and avatar looks great... the matrix (dvd -- pressed ~1999) is still intact... and peter gabriel's album 'so' (pressed ~1986) is still in great condition.... ....no... they dont oxidize....

...remember the days when dvd was about 10$ more than its vhs equivalent? .... same thing with bluray vs dvd now... ...i paid 160$ for a high end dvd player in '99 ... a dvd player with progressive scan jpeg mp3 and divx would sell for less today...

oh.. and the drive in that ps3? ive got about 500hrs on elder scrolls 4 ... about 30 on need for speed 4 .... i dunno how much on little big planet... ....suffice it to say the drive isnt going anywhere for a while...

tape is cheap due to the fact that unlike disc medium ... be it magnetic or optical... you can always add more to the same 'reel' so to speak.... nasa uses massive amounts of tape... hdds dont hold enough yet... look on wikipedia for 'tape robot' for how intimidatingly massive tape storage can get...

as for vhs ... i love it too... but lion king can only be watched so many times before the signal on the tape itself becomes too weak to be read... and for home recording miniDV is the choice for the semi-serious that want to stick with tape... flash rom for those who want to go beyond.... blank vhs... as much as i hate to say... is getting hard to find...

now as far as a client that gets you sued goes;

http://vo.do/ (anyone else waiting impatiently for the next episode of 'pioneer one' ?) ... much HD res video there... HD isnt a fad... no more so than dvd was when it first started...

winmx however isnt vodo... its that chatroom you and your buddies hang out in and say 'hey check this out'.....

granted a magnet link or url sent via an instant messanger client does the same thing ultimately... its just a matter of choice... lets watch where the flock migrates to.... (could be either way)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:24:24 am »
I hate to have to drop this on you Stripes but I have seen many bluray players dead and dying even a few months out of the factory and yes I have already done a quantity of ps3 optical pickup replacements so I really do have an idea of whats going down on the streets  :)

As to oxidisation it works like this ,you have your disk and at some point scratch it this exposes the reflector layer to the air thus oxidising it this then creates errors etc and if you haven't seen this effect its likely because you respect your materials and handle them carefully a trip around many yard sales will reveal media of this sort will degrade and does.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:36 pm »
ppl must be really damn rough with their stuff o.O

..then again i avoid rentals (ive seen rentals destroy a dvd burners ability to burn discs... ...but it was due to crud... it still reads discs fine lol...) and if i buy used i want to see before i buy... if its just dirty i make sure to clean it.... if scratched i get it repaired before purchase...

the 'cleaner' cds (the ones with little brushes) do a good job keeping things in order for 'that drive' (that standard one that fits in a pc and cost about 30$ max) that gets used for everything .... but no way in hell am i sticking a rental in a ~500$ ps3...

a trip around yardsales has only landed me one disc that might have been oxidize related (ps1 game disc that i couldnt see due to the black coloration) .... to oxidize a dvd the scratch would have to be so deep that it would have to reach to the middle of the disc (oxidation isnt going to be a problem for a disc scratched that deep) .... blurays reflective layer is also close to the middle of the disc... again needing a deep scratch to reach it....

newer cds have protective coatings similar to the anti-scratch used with bluray on the top as well as the read side to prevent getting to the reflective layer .... if ppl are making it though this stuff thats insane....

might have to try some experements with freebe promos sometime....

...they should have made cd caddys a manditory part of the format (carrying over to dvd and bd....)...

-edit moar-

my brother is even more cautious than i am..... his first-gen ps2 system has been cleaned with a brushy cd many times simply due to dust intrusion from the environment.... its disc-clamp and tray eject motor are closer to giving up the ghost than the laser.... (probably needs a new belt..)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:56:56 pm »
-edit even moar-

now that i think of it i -have- seen oxidation in DVDs .... poorly pressed discs (seal had visible splits that let the air in) that had turned this nasty yellow and were unreadable (tried many methods to get the data to no avail) ..... but this has been only once in my life... lucky they gave refunds for defective products....

(edit button quit on me ... can squish this into last post?)

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:49:01 am »
I have actually seen many optical discs where there is no 'protection layer' on the label side, they rely on the printed-on label art to do the protecting, but many discs have minimal print, sooooo...
2 copies of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album both unplayable because of almost invisible damage on the label side...
And I DO care for my discs
The reflection Layer is nothing more than a vapour-deposited film of aluminium, barely atoms-thick, it can be oxidation or simply wear from handling that will cause that layer, or coating, to fail
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:54:45 am »
ive never had the reflective layer fail (oxidize) on a CD .... even top-damaged discs (can see little spots of light where the aluminum is gone) ....

guess its a climate thing(?) but its humid here so.... hell i dunno...  clean your optical drive and try again?

i dont know of anyone that ive met in person to have had a cd oxidize either.... 'scratched to death'  but cd resurface devices can always fix this...

--edit--

old thread is old... why post now?

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 04:01:03 am »
March 13 is old?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Ace

• Forum Member
  • Every new creation is the sum of old and new.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:36 pm »
back on topic

i do agree with Bieb on the prob with ivp6 mx would need a compleat over haul of the protcol
to intergate ivp6 the old nt was the reason for the low 4gig limt as mx never reached to 3.55 { mx 4.0 } which was spoken  about wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before kev got the bad news and run for the hills
for mx to live pass 2012 it will need bigger file limit due to hd tv shows  and in 2012 the atheltices races ects most prob be a d/l of a hole day event bet that be over the 4gig limit

most  files are in a dvd format .iso size of 4..40gig + { not include of a blueray disc as that can be 12g+ at times} 

so i have and do beleave mx needs a compleate overhaul if and when this will happen who nos it mite one day but  not for the forseeable

and NO am  not ANTI MX its my view of the state of mx for the furture  which i have said from the very start of when the caches closed down

as to me working on a hughe  project that would be a yr + working on one own am too buzy working on building xbox indie games  so my time spent on that atm

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:55:44 pm »
I dont wish to sound mean Ace but we all know whats necessary and why and yet whilst there are many folks calling the shots there are few offering to plan and build the future and this simply means we waste time in fruitless discussion and end most topics with little satisfaction for anyone, we have all got things to do but if we all spare some of our free time as a united force we can and have before moved mountains, the real question here is when will anyone wake up to what needs to be done rather than always speak as though others are going to do all the work, many hands make light work and no hands only ends in disappointment.

This post is not directed at Ace btw its a general statement of what I see occuring, Ace has been of much help before and I,m sure will help out again when required  8)

Offline Ace

• Forum Member
  • Every new creation is the sum of old and new.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:30 pm »
k

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  How do you feel about the 2GB file sharing limit?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx