gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:26:35 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  WinMX Phoenix looking for programmers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX Phoenix looking for programmers  (Read 4444 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
WinMX Phoenix looking for programmers
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:19 pm »
Has any of the staff or regulars here visited WinMX Phoenix forums. They seem to have good intentions. They are openly advertising on their site that they are looking for programmers to build a new client. Is there any chance in working with them to achieve the same goal if they are able to find some more programmers? I dropped a few post there just to let them know they are not alone, but I figure they surely already know that. I'm not sure why I did not come across their forum until now.  I hope you guys are cool with their forum. I don't want to get caught between any cross fire if any difference of opinions on the WPN & Client may exist.  If they are able to find some more coders then maybe it would be beneficial to combine resources on the coding aspect to complete a new client.  It would be good for everyone if they have the same ideals, and goal in mind.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: WinMX Phoenix looking for programmers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:21:05 am »
Please read this topic for the history.

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=10064.0.html

I,m not aware of any change except to say Cash was one of those attacking WMW in our chat room when KM was damaging the network recently, couple this with his desire to remove users from the phoenix forum if they dont post, so I think I myself will be keeping a safe distance from this guy.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »
I keep hearing so much about chat in chat rooms. What rooms are good to visit to keep updated on WinMX affairs?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:15:22 pm »
WinMX Community Patch_13A3F042BABE  or on Open Nap Nap.winmxgroup.net are where most of the sites characters hang out.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:05:38 am »
For those of you who wanted to read up a little more on this topic there was a similar discussion here.

http://therebelion.myfreeforum.org/Promosing_project__about1167.html

I was like most of you hopefull of progress initially but it soon became clear that those behind the project have not taken on board the effort and organisation it takes to get such a project together, and even when offered help it seems they had other activities going on that made them too busy to take it.

A real shame,  but I,m sure even if nothing else they keep the winmx flag flying in some folks minds and thats something we can all be thankful for.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:27:23 pm »
Thanks for the info Ghost Ship! I had no knowledge of this group until now so i read the threads you posted about their efforts.  I hope their group has something to offer in developing a new client, but it looks like they do not have the resources or understanding of what it would take to achieve their goal. I wish them the best of luck, and I hope they do find some coders willing to work with them, but at this point it is not looking good.  As of now no one has replied to my post at their forum.  I would like to know what functionality they hope to achieve in the new client. One of the post said something about modeling it after Windows messenger with enhanced file sharing capability. I would definitely not want to use that over the present client we already have. At this point I just want to see a very basic functioning client completed so we have a foundation to work upon.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:17:59 pm »
Agreed Achilles, I too would like to urge all those who have the relevant skills that now is the time to put them to good usage, WinMX needs a shot in the arm and soon if its to stay our home for the long term.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:35:01 pm »
For those who are interested what is there that is required?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:38:06 pm »
Sorry for the delay Ritchy missed your post it seems, I know your hard at work on a project and I would urge you to complete that, what I was basically asking folks to do if they have helpful programming skills is to either join already running programming efforts or self organise to make their own, after the abuse of the protocol weakness we saw recently we urgently need to rejig our client base and that has to be done from near scratch, we have the know how but not the programmers  in the numbers we need to make this a short term project, if folks want to organise, offer help or join an existing team drop me a line and I,ll see where your skills can best be utilised and assistance given, we can either do nothing or we can do what we are famous for, organise and combine to secure our network, this is the only network that runs itself so it makes sense to ask those of you who can help to  step up to the plate and offer what you can.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:40:16 pm »
"My" project won't really help in the short term, since its part of a much bigger area really.  However anything I assist in producing will be for the Community, and not for WMW to gloat and savor.  The assistance gained from the chat room and certain admin has neither contributed and in places actually hindered any progress.  Unfortunately it seems many "admin/supervisors" are unable to admit when they simply don't know the answer or even the area of discussions, rather than ask questions that are so open and ambiguous that a person could assume they know what they are talking about.

I'm happy to discuss this in private to avoid having to name names and start yet another flame war on yet another wmw thread.  That said, i have offered my assistance with any other project wmw or non-wmw related where i can help, and therefore it may be time to tidy up some of the "problems" that hinder wmw.

On a more personal and self-indulgent note, its not programmers that i require, but WPN protocol (not WinMX client "protocol") knowledge to be able to bounce theories off.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:41 pm »
What you have suggested to me recently Ritchy was something that is not part of the WPN protocol and thus while its possible its unhelpful in the short term when folks like myself are looking to our immediate future.

I am disturbed you have used this cry for help for the community to take cheap shots at wmw while all the time taking help and support from them and me, if this is your attitude then I wonder why you bothered to post here as unlike anyone else currently wmw have promised to deliver an open src client that all shall benefit from and I havent heard you make such a promise so just why you think we would gloat when we have been aiding the community in many ways  for a lot longer than you is beyond ridiculous, if you can show where we have done things to help ourselves and hinder others your claims would hold water but they dont.

I know this may be hard for you to understand Ritchy but wmw is made up of WinMX users and thus all are a part of the community and continually look towards improving our collective lot, wmw is not a business and makes no money or runs any adverts, all here are volunteers and all the bills are met by those volunteers, so can I ask you to put a sock in your mouth and forget the "them and us" BS, it helps no one and makes you look stupid.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »
Not all of us on the WMW admin team are here because we are programers...

My own area of specialty is Hardware Networking and simply being able to clearly help users with jargon-freeadvice and instructions

Regrettably, I have to work for a living too, so I, Like many others, am not always at keyboard...

Ergo, I am part of a Community and Board of people who bring a plethora of skills to the mix, but in that style, we are not all mega-talented with knowledge about everything. Think even about your own skills Richy, I guarantee that there are areas you are not so up-to-speed with.

Play fair..
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:05:05 pm »
I am sorry to say Quicks that any project I work on or assist in has neither been published or presented as a alternative client to yours.  There is no them and us, and as such there are WMW admin who on a personal level I can happily talk to, you are one of them.  The difficulty is that as a collective, SOME wmw admin believe that the tag and "position" within the "organisation" holds them above and beyond any repercussions.  And thus participate in a conversation that is ongoing with comments that appear to be knowledgeable.  I agree Bluey that I do not know everything, however I am open and honest about those things I don't know, and don't attempt to pretend/masquerade as otherwise.  I have openly offered to assist any projects WMW or not, so don't feel that there is a prejustice against WMW, its not, its a prejustice against fakes and BS'ers.

Your aim is to produce a secondary protocol client Quicks, and then to look at strengthening the protocol or protocol handlers, and my suggestion to you was actually a part of that protection/strengthening.  While things are possible with the protocol, and yet are not possible due to the current client, that doesnt mean it stops outside purportrators (for want of a better word) whether they be KM or the MPAA/RIAA or anyone else from using these "possibilities".  Yes we are on a tight(ish) deadline, but we have known for many many years that a new client was needed eventually, and just because an idea or thought doesnt appeal to your plans directly at this moment in time, one day it may well do.  You of all people should know that to develop and push forwards we need to look at the boundaries we are currently limited within and try to ensure there are no exploitable gaps.

I do wonder why i bother posting on here when everything is seen as a Richy vs WMW by you Quicks when the original question asked was "What is it that is actually required to help further development?" since you seem to have the secondary protocol client well covered.  There are other areas of the protocol where folks could begin and therefore an idea of which areas havent been looked at could of been useful to ensure there is some code (no matter what language) that covers each and every area. Suggestions and offers of help are blasted, meh...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »
I have to say this is the sort of post I was hoping to see in the first instance as nearly of all the points raised are ones I agree with, we as a group or community cant all sit on our laurels and must strive to work purposefully together to acheive the faster results I for one feel we need, but failing that we must stay united at least in our key objective and thats creating and evolving our way out of trouble and I have to admit after reading Ritchys first post I didnt see that, but this second post reaffirms he is aware of the "big picture" situation and is simply expressing his ire with one of the staff, as someone who has had many fights with staff members old and new I would like to simply proffer some advice, turn the other cheek when you can and do what you know is the right thing in dealings with others as that way you will surely be viewed as a  positive person and one folks will seek wisdom from.

No one here knows everything we all agree on that I,m certain however the community are watching and have been very patient and I for one know they would rather we all started to look at what needs to be done rather than what could have been done but we where all too busy disagreeing.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  WinMX Phoenix looking for programmers

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx