gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 06, 2024, 10:02:04 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  What's happen to WinMx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's happen to WinMx  (Read 30628 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
Re: What's happen to WinMx
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 04:22:45 am »
So are you only here Stripes to convince everyone to move on to something else now? I mean.. you said you don't even use WinMx anymore.  Do you not ever plan on using WinMx again even if it's fixed? It sounds like you have gave up all hope, and don't believe WinMx will ever be fixed. In reading your last few post it sounds as though you want to convince everyone to stop using WinMx now.

@achillies have you seen what's going on? i've lost not one server 2 mine and my sons one in nj one in texas, my sons blew up cause of the high traffic it took out his router as well, it nearly took out mine, 2 i run a 10 meg connection that was nearly maxed out, i cant search i cant speak i cant even go on the network without being hit and you want me to sit and do what? let them attack me while i wait for my home to be fixed? Sorry i'm not putting myself in any position after what i know is going on and who started it. There's a lot more alot LOT more going on that no one but gs myself and stripes know of and km himself and i for one have one thing to say i need a message brought to km himself. will he stop this garbage if i leave for good, the deal is i go if he stops and i dont just mean the attacks i mean all of it, the attacks on innocent people the thrashing of ip's of people not involved. The network taking the attack for no reason. Will it stop if its yes i'm gone if not i'll be on the side lines with stripe trying to figure out what we can use to keep what little of mx is left together so when she is fixed we can come back home.
Myabe I don't know as much as you do about what is going on. I'm not sure what you know. The search function does not work for me, and WinMx is really useless to me as I have already stated many times lately in other post here. I just run WinMx to try to keep the network going until a fix is found.  I have a large amount of bandwidth with my ISP, and I have been able to minimize the damage. I do not run a chat server though. Are you able to run the client without running a chat room? I use filtering methods that have been able to slow the attackers down quite a bit from exploiting my machines. The problem is that it requires frequent blocklist updates which the average user would not be capable of doing. I'm using an enterprise firewall also that can handle the high bandwidth.  Like i have been saying I only run WinMx to keep the network going. If your hardware can't handle it or you are in fear of receiving bad letters then by all means stop using it.  I still don't understand all the post here urging other users to stop using WinMx.  If they are running a chat server then they should already understand the risk since the average user probably does not even know how to run a chat server. I would think those users know more about WinMx than the average WinMx user.  Stripes said it would be best if the entire community just moved somewhere else. That was the reason for my question to Stripes. I am not trying to speak disrespectfully toward Stripes. Its only a question. I see so many mixed messages on the forum lately.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 06:18:45 am »
Your efforts are greatly appreciated by many achilles. It's users such as yourself that are the true hero's on winmx at this time and forever after. Thats all that can be done at this time by most of us, is to hang tough and do whatever we can to keep it afloat. There are many that will continue doing as you are and not give in, thats what makes this community so strong. We all understand and sympathize with folks such as SELENA, who just can't carry on due to bandwidth caps etc, but the rest of us will continue on keeping it alive until a fix is delivered. and save their seats for when they're able to return. It really is hard to keep a positive attitude at times during all of this, but every now and then somebody shows what makes winmx so great. Thanks for the smile achilles, although i know thats not what the intention of your post was for lol :)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 08:52:28 am »
For the record I would like to make clear that wmw did urge many of the community to sit this out on open-nap and run rooms in the offline mode as a temporary measure, having delivered this best advice many have chosen to tough it out here and have had their bandwidth stolen by the criminals attacking the network, it was made clear some time ago now that a fix for this is not trivial but is possible, whats being asked of the programmer is something no one before has attempted and will change the network so attacks such as those we are seeing will no longer be possible, this is our focus as I know it encapsulates the hopes and dreams of you all, let us not let anyone divide us, whatever our current means lets pull together to cut down the resources available to the attacker, we the users run this network not the non-winmx using attackers who simply come here to smash friendships and exercise abuses of power over the userbase who have trusted their fellow users successfully for many years now to steer you all to safety when trouble has arisen, the hope of wmw and its community partners rests on delivering a fix and deploying it, that's all we can do, please follow our suggestions and keep chat rooms together or shared if possible to ensure the attackers do not win, we as a community cannot even think of allowing these ppl to succeed , walk tall folks and remember each of you represents the community to your fellows and they rely on you as much as you rely on them, if anyone needs specific help please post, we must continue to work together and as always with respect for each other when faced with such mindless censorship and abuse.

Stand firm even if its only in your hearts, the attackers can never steal our friendship and community, unless we let them.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 11:36:15 am »
So are you only here Stripes to convince everyone to move on to something else now? I mean.. you said you don't even use WinMx anymore.  Do you not ever plan on using WinMx again even if it's fixed? It sounds like you have gave up all hope, and don't believe WinMx will ever be fixed. In reading your last few post it sounds as though you want to convince everyone to stop using WinMx now.

i dont want folks to end up in deep doo doo shall we say with their isps due to traffic being redirected by the attackers...

last time i tried to use mx i ran a search since i saw searches werent being hijacked (the attacks were atm using the oversized malformed packets which causes extreme bandwidth waste for chatserver runners.... ....one of em soaked up ~500gb in a month to put that in perspective...) when i ran my test search the 'tx/rx' lights on my (dialup!) modem lit up like a christmas tree on crack and my connection was totally useless.... where was the traffic going? i didnt care to take the time to run tcpview to see.... i closed mx immediately and redialed (giving me a new ip address) ... i dont want my own nastygram... even if the traffic were just 'junk' not going anywhere i couldnt have used winmx (or the web browser or pidgin or irc .... ) at all anyway...

im not going to be one that stands in the line of fire on this...

the reason i uninstalled mx is due simply to it being an end of life program.... a potential security risk.... call me paranoid if you want on that one.... but robomx works much better for winmx chat (make sure not to connect to the wpn itself tho as robo will then be a target as well... theres a tickbox in its settings that says 'connect to wpn on startup'.... untick it...) use josh or stevi's web room list and copy/paste and join the room you want to chat in... for nap i find lopster to be vastly superior to winmx as it can multisource (!) on nap ... even if the download is from a non-lopster user.... it also knows that the same user can be on multiple servers (labels the connections 'clones') so someone added to the hotlist doesnt have to be on a specific server to show as online... note: learning curve for lopster is a bit steep and the ui on winlop is very fickle/buggy....

side note to the 'winmxgroup' nap runner possibly best left unidentified.... your server is either drastically overloaded or misconfigured as 'browse' and searches that return 'too many' results cause a disconnect.... (client used doesnt seem to matter on this issue) the problem is consistant... works each time browse is clicked...

as for the drastically complex patch to fix these issues... well.... see you next mxmas?

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
  • Room Owner MUSIC @ ThE Studio
    • The Studio
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »
The issue is and this is to all were losing friends and there just dropping off we need to make sure we stay in touch with them like reef said my seat will be here when i get back but then i am always in touch what do we do with the ones who just disappear we need to have something to stay in touch with others who don't know about the forum, i'd go for email anything at this point to keep from losing others we have already with my 2 rooms plus maxtech's castle which i was hosting on mine, plus 4 rooms that were on my sons server gone now, i was also hosting lionesses room as well as spider's room. We desperately need a way to keep in touch with people so they know when exactly mx will be back, we have lost so many in the beginning that i have just found who are now totally refusing because of what is going on to even come back. The real question is now to stay in touch.
you will remember me as ~*~SELENA~*~ in 2005 on this forum....Room Owner MUSIC @ ThE Studio
 Long live Karaoke Colors (ex admin), we miss you Ele!!!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »
something hopefully better than msn.... all the gmail users already have xmpp accounts (google talk... which works fine with pidgin and integrates perfectly with other xmpp services) ... least thats one idea...

chat on the (hopefully soon to be fixed) nap server? (nap works with mx and other nap clients)

irc?

agree to something of neutral territory and spread the word to add it to the motd of the channels that still work... (my vote is on xmpp cos you dont need gtalk to use an xmpp service... see jabber.org )

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 09:12:58 pm »
what ever we can do to keep each other together is alright with me as long as everyone sticks together or at least is within touch with each other. we all know it's going to take awhile to get mx fixed and everyone enjoys the chat most of all, so if we can find that neutral ground to keep in touch it will make the waiting game less and less, like they say if you have friends around the time goes by faster
you will remember me as ~*~SELENA~*~ in 2005 on this forum....Room Owner MUSIC @ ThE Studio

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:56 pm »
they say if you have friends around the time goes by faster

if you happen have your old friend jose cuervo over as well whole chunks in time seem to come up missing ;)

its possible that ppl have ppl on im and other networks that are unknown to the 'whole' and when (if?) mx is fixed word would be passed around... ...its if mx isnt fixed that youve lost the 'group' of chatters so... um... yeah... im out of ideas on that one...

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 03:54:03 am »
Don't lose faith on me now Stripes she was fixed once by a good team and some of that team is still around minus a few bad apples. Don't go losing the faith just yet to many are counting and backing mx and it's team to let her fall. Even myself just because i'm not on the network doesn't mean i dont care. Like i once said years ago to gs the needs of the many outway the needs of the one. I'd give up my mx life if km and nb would back off. Course I would miss everyone very much but if that's what it takes then i'd do it. Mx will forever be my home no matter what. Just keep the faith stripes she'll be back stronger than ever.

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 03:59:27 am »
it's not bandwith caps reef old friend remember i used to be on dialup i'm now on a 10 meg connection, it's the fact i'm hearing thousands of people being attacked and we need a safe house for them and fast, I dont mean lets all abandon our home not at all, but we need to take the innocent people who are caught once again in this war and move them out of the line of fire, this is getting messy and fast computers are being destroyed threats are being slung we need an alternate plan and fast one that will keep our friends and family safe. we need a suggestion at this time while what little coders we have (that we hold dearly right now) can do there work without worring about who is being attacked. i'll take any suggestions at hand to move the innocent people for now temp to a safe haven. And i need to know if km and nb are continuing to hit the network.

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 04:00:53 am »
ooh and reef thanks for the great program used it a few times saw your name on it and smiled glad to see your still here with us.

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 05:39:56 am »
Suggestions that have been thrown forward I think include running rooms in offline mode and also using opennap.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 09:27:08 pm »
the nap server results should be fixed. missed this report. merci.

Also if someone wants a room setting up on the nap server to migrate too im willing to set one up for you and you can relocate till winmx is sorted.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 08:05:40 pm »
the nap server results should be fixed. missed this report. merci.

Also if someone wants a room setting up on the nap server to migrate too i'm willing to set one up for you and you can relocate till winmx is sorted.

Lager how safe is the open nap now a days? I was running in offline mode when i was hit same for my son. I am hoping open nap will be better. let me know please itchy to stay on mx i'll take any way back in that's a safe hidden way.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 10:21:31 pm »
The major downside to open nap would be the fact that everything is run off a central server. So if it goes down, everything goes down. But I'm sure lagerlout has it on a vps or a dedicated server so it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2011, 11:59:03 pm »
A better description of the network topography would be to describe the Open-Nap Network as a collection of central servers not a singular one as some may make the mistake of thinking after reading your comment Josh, in WinMX users terms they could be described as "super primarys" as they can handle a lot more users than the standard winmx primary client does but of course the flip side is as Josh pointed out in that because they do carry so much traffic they are best operated from non home connections or alternatively the settings tweaked to drop the connection levels quite considerably to allow them to be run as a temporary network back-bone, each room host could in fact transfer their whole room and its users over to open nap and link with other servers for things like channel lists and files searching  so its not that much different to our beloved WPN,  what is different however is the level of security, its not anywhere near as tight as folks want but for a temporary measure it will allow the WPN community to hold their ground until the main wpn network can be taken back from the parasites who disrupt friendships ,drive users away and in true cowardly fashion refuse to identify themselves out of fear of physical retribution and possible prison time for their illegal and despicable acts.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 12:54:56 am »
so its not that much different to our beloved WPN,

wpn was based on nap...

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 05:24:16 am »
have to honestly say... there are p2p out there that can replace mx for me... the thing that holds me to mx is the 'tinker' factor... like that old car that mostly sits in the garage and only gets driven once in a blue moon but gets its engine tinkered with quite often...

not practical, not efficient, not even that pleasant to drive... but an interesting toy nonetheless....

your such a fibber you come there cause i am there and gs lol

Offline ~*~SELENA~*~

• Forum Member
    • The Studio
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 05:28:01 am »
Honestly I have to be blunt I havent downloaded anything but true blood first 3 of the new season since i cant be on mx, i want the security and my family back so i'll sit and be patient and wait until she is fixed, do we have a eta aprox on her being somewhat ready?

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 07:44:59 am »
No firm ETA. From what I understand the final few features/bits of the patch are proving elusive.

I know in the last week another set of hands has joined the effort to see if they can help, or at least cast a fresh set of eyes over the problem.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  What's happen to WinMx

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.007 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx