gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:44:55 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  What was that about Internet Explorer and the Bag of Hammers?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What was that about Internet Explorer and the Bag of Hammers?  (Read 1087 times)

What was that about Internet Explorer and the Bag of Hammers?
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:38:45 am »
Windows Internet Explorer 9 (IE9), Google Chrome 12, Mozilla Firefox 4, Apple Safari 5 and Opera 11 were tested with 1,188 malicious URLs - links that lead to a download that delivers a malicious payload or to a website hosting malware links.

Each of those browsers uses a variety of security technologies that protect users from this type of attack. All of them use a reputation-based system that works by comparing URLs with a blacklist or whitelist located in the cloud that gets updated manually and/or automatically. If the URL is found to be malicious, the browsers redirect the user to a warning page.

The results for IE 9 were almost perfect: the browser blocked 96 percent of the suspicious URLs when its URL reputation filter was enabled, and an additional 3,2 percent after its Application reputation filter was enabled.

http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1803

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: What was that about Internet Explorer and the Bag of Hammers?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:20:11 am »
well... the usuall pebkac crowd needs a helping hand.... ;)

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:22:07 am »
but i wonder about the figures for competing products, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:48:00 am »
While this test is just one single aspect of the actual web browsing experience it alone cannot alone determine if a browser is better or worse than another. However it does help solidify the previous thread as generally people that click on those flashy banner ads that say you are the 100th visitor and you've won a car etc. links that lead to these malicious websites are pretty dumb in the first place. That group of users is probably lacking in their knowledge of the vast array of web browsers available for use and have stuck to IE... and therefor those users make up the majority of the IE user base rendering the previous claim true (even if the original survey was fake).

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:29:59 am »
Also wanted to share this cool little history table of browser market share from multiple sources all showing the same general story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Historical_usage_share

IE continues to fall in market share, firefox peaked and seems to be on the decline, Chrome and Safari both webkit based browsers are gaining, Opera is also declining, and of course mobile browsers are skyrocketing. My personal preference is chrome. Firefox has just become so bloated it feels sluggish to me. But hopefully they can improve that with these newer versions. I think version 6 was just released on the 16th of this month.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:30 am »
I too would like to share some info folks might not be aware of.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1224/product_id-15031/opec-1/Google-Chrome.html

Its clear to me that when folks go to a bar they make their choice of drinks and you dont have to like it, the same applies to browsers,  whine and complain as much as you like the fact is no one is asking you to use it, now get over yourselves please, being a browser nazi is not polite or acceptable.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »
Ha Ha Ha at the suspicious files in silvers link all being KM's +1 for them.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  What was that about Internet Explorer and the Bag of Hammers?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx