gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 01, 2024, 12:08:35 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US Web Censorship Bills Slips Closer To Reality - Join The Fight
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: US Web Censorship Bills Slips Closer To Reality - Join The Fight  (Read 6641 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: US Web Censorship Bills Slips Closer To Reality - Join The Fight
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 07:04:30 am »
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111226/23082117192/would-obama-veto-sopa-extremely-doubtful.shtml

Would Obama Veto SOPA? Extremely Doubtful
from the too-much-money dept

I usually like the work of Arik Hesseldahl, who's pretty sharp in his reporting, but it appears he may have waded into a subject where he doesn't have much knowledge, in arguing that Obama would likely veto SOPA should it pass out of Congress and land on his desk. Arik's summary is that Obama "likes the internet," so he'd probably veto such an anti-internet bill. No offense to Arik, who perhaps just wanted a quick holiday post on the subject, but that shows little understanding of the history of Obama on intellectual property issues, or the many, many signals that the administration has been giving over the bill. In fact, the signals suggest pretty strongly that if the bill landed on his desk today, President Obama would sign it into law with little hesitation -- and declare it a victory for the economy and American jobs.

Offline Hans-Linux

• Forum Member
    • index.hmtl
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 05:33:40 pm »
 :walk:A very interesting presentation given at the Chaos Computer Club convention, Berlin, Germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MsuJa1ri0z0

Hans  :walk:
AMD Phenom II x4, 3000Mhz; 24,115 Bogo MIPS; 
 Main Op. System: Gentoo, Xfce Desktop; 
Wine 3.0.3; WinMx; Bit-Torrent;
Up-Speed 20 Mb/s Down-Speed 50 Mb/s;
 "C" programmer.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 03:22:26 am »
http://torrentfreak.com/domain-blocking-will-encourage-yet-more-fraud-and-scams-111230/

...Now, we’re pretty sure that the MAFIAAFire and Newzbin2 people can be trusted not to stab web users in the back, but what will happen as soon as sites start getting censored under SOPA is that software created by Gods-knows-who will come onto the market with grand promises of re-enabling access to sites.

Some of these new breeds of tools will do as they say and will definitely come with fairly innocent adware to generate some revenue for their creators. Many, however, will screw over anyone who dares to install them. Malware, scamware, viruses and phishing attacks will all play their part. These practices have been happening to a certain extent in the file-sharing space for a decade already, but domain censorship will give the conmen a much-needed boost.....

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 03:37:53 am »
@Hanz... i cant watch youtube vids very well over dial (often not at all -- which includes your link... got a transcript of that?) but the same US gov that created SOPA also created TOR.... how well that'll mix (other than being an international laughing-stock) i dunno...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57346592-281/how-sopas-circumvention-ban-could-put-a-target-on-tor/

A little-noticed section of the Stop Online Piracy Act could make it illegal to distribute Tor and other software that can "circumvent" attempts by the U.S. government to block pirate Web sites.

The controversial Hollywood-backed copyright bill allows injunctions to be filed against "any" person, nonprofit organization, or company that distributes a "product or service" that can be used to circumvent or bypass blockades erected against alleged pirate Web sites such as ThePirateBay.org.

"It looks like SOPA would outlaw Tor," says Markham Erickson, an attorney with Holch & Erickson LLP who runs NetCoalition. The trade association opposes SOPA and counts Amazon.com, eBay, Google, and Yahoo among its members.

Offline Hans-Linux

• Forum Member
    • index.hmtl
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 04:52:03 am »
@Hanz... i cant watch youtube vids very well over dial (often not at all -- which includes your link... got a transcript of that?) but the same US gov that created SOPA also created TOR.... how well that'll mix (other than being an international laughing-stock) i dunno...

You maybe able to find what you want at:
http://mirror.fem-net.de/CCC/28C3/

Otherwise contact Chaos Computer Club tell them that you only have a landline modem and ask them to provide you with a DVD of the material presented at 28C3:

mail@ccc.de
presse@ccc.de

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/wiki/Welcome

Otherwise send by private message me your postal address and I will burn and mail a DVD to you. There are about 2 GB video available.

Hans   :walk:

AMD Phenom II x4, 3000Mhz; 24,115 Bogo MIPS; 
 Main Op. System: Gentoo, Xfce Desktop; 
Wine 3.0.3; WinMx; Bit-Torrent;
Up-Speed 20 Mb/s Down-Speed 50 Mb/s;
 "C" programmer.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 05:31:34 am »
well... they have a 31mb audio only ogg and a 261mb 'low quality' mp4 vid..... both of which have .torrents .... its not so much the size its the time... youtube doesnt 'resume' .... http and torrent can... (esp torrent which is just a 'set it and forget it' situation)

....wonder what they did with the atari 2600 in that vid further down the list... cos ive seen some really wacky stuff done with that machine in modern times that are far beyond what even the best games of its heyday did....

...agh! and they have a vid for the c64 too!
* Silver Stripes hugs his c64
:3

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 12:41:44 am »
there has been quite a few articles posted about sopa since the last in this thread but this one just irked the hell out of me...

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/01/04/smith-says-reddit-sopa-protestors-are-039not-legitimate-or-large-number039

Speaking to political publication Roll Call, SOPA sponsor and House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) took shots earlier this week at critics of the bill that has gained as much bi-partisan opposition as it has support.

"The criticism of this bill is completely hypothetical; none of it is based in reality," Smith said in a statement to Roll Call. "Not one of the critics was able to point to any language in the bill that would in any way harm the Internet. Their accusations are simply not supported by any facts."

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »
US Threatened To Blacklist Spain For Not Implementing Site Blocking Law

http://torrentfreak.com/us-threatened-to-blacklist-spain-for-not-implementing-site-blocking-law-120105/

In a leaked letter sent to Spain’s outgoing President, the US ambassador to the country warned that as punishment for not passing a SOPA-style file-sharing site blocking law, Spain risked being put on a United States trade blacklist . Inclusion would have left Spain open to a range of “retaliatory options” but already the US was working with the incoming government to reach its goals.

....this shits just getting weirder and weirder....

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 03:23:04 am »
Well, seems we now have the choice of PRC Obama or PRC Romney. One is the same as the other. All of the candidates on the republican side but one (Ron Paul) love the idea of free speech (under full government control). The oddball candidate is into a thing known as Liberty. But liberty is obsolete. This is the 21st century isnt it? Seeing more and more how the tree of liberty must be fed by blood once in a while. Its becoming closer to that happening. Why cant these collective idiots see that?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 07:52:26 am »
they did... which is why the NDAA (in specific the NDAA for fiscal year 2012) was passed that allows for any US citizen or greencard holder to be held indefinitely without due process.... granted that kind of thing has gone on since the shrub ('president' bush the younger) was in office ... this just puts it into 'black and white' that its 'legal' for the government to do so... lovely eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act_for_Fiscal_Year_2012

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:10 pm »
Check out craigslist.org message about SOPA and PIPA bills in congress! Very strong message! This will reach out to alot of people that have no idea that this could be coming.
They have outlined the whole bill with all the details and how to contact congress!
I urge you all to go and read this and use their mailer links to flood congress with mail in opposition!
Its listed in red on the front of the craigslist page world wide! I never seen any thing listed in RED on craigslist before!  :o

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 02:29:20 pm »
I  Love the outline....

QUOTE: "Craigslist" 
Opponents of SOPA: Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Mozilla, Reddit, Tumblr, Etsy, Zynga, EFF, ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX)

Supporters of SOPA: RIAA, MPAA, News Corporation, VISA, Mastercard, Pfizer, Comcast, Time Warner, ABC, Nike, Walmart, Dow Chemical, Tiffany, Chanel, Rolex, Monster Cable, Teamsters, Lamar Smith (R-TX), John Conyers (D-MI)

I"M sure the lists are actually bigger but these are some of the biggest voices being heard...... Think twice about using your visa/Mastercard at walmart next time ya go shopping.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US Web Censorship Bills Slips Closer To Reality - Join The Fight

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.006 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx