gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:31:55 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Client  (Read 118880 times)

New Client
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:34 pm »
All,

I am very pleased to announce that the developers have compiled a beta release of the new client - OurMX

A download location has been organised by the community.
www.ourmx.net/OurMX.zip

We are also in the process of setting up a new website to support the new client
www.ourmxworld.net
It is in development at the moment and content is currently being added.

A Forum has been created for bug reports.
http://www.ourmxworld.net/forums/bug-reports
Please check the bug you are reporting has not already been reported.
Please include all relevant information such as operating system, outline what you were doing at the time and a screenshot if possible.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: New Client
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:35:44 am »
Congratulations on the first release I know it has been a long and difficult road to this point.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:54:08 am »
wow, sooner than i expected :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:30 am »
...and unfortunately for me it crashes after the setup wizard and doesnt run...

--edit--

figured it out... it crashes if something else is already using the port it wants to use..

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:53 am »
Just a tip for anyone who tries to run this on Windows 8 from your Program Files directory. You need to right click each DLL file and go to Properties and then click the "Unblock" box so that Windows will allow the DLL's to be loaded. You need to do this for every DLL in the folder and also the main executable. This is even if you have UAC set to its lowest setting.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:57:40 am »
pri; you having any luck connecting as primary? secondary works great for me but primary just keeps trying. (yes both the udp and tcp ports are forwarded..)

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:08:57 am »
make sure there's no extra instances of it running in the background

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:38 pm »
Congrats to all. I downloaded the new client. Can it be installed (win xp) when the old winmx 3.54 is still on the pc? Or should the old be removed? Also, can both clients be active/running at the same time? or should you 'toggle' back and forth. thanks.

Offline Elroyd

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:34:41 pm »
Despite trying several times, no search results are showing.
I'm also having lots of problems adding files to library. Any help available ?
Thanks

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »
Congrats to all. I downloaded the new client. Can it be installed (win xp) when the old winmx 3.54 is still on the pc? Or should the old be removed? Also, can both clients be active/running at the same time? or should you 'toggle' back and forth. thanks.

they can be installed side by side just dont put them in the same directory and dont run them at the same time

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:39:42 pm »
The important bit to remember is that they need to be on different ports, many folks are mentioning a crash when the cause is simply that the new client cant obtain the free port with its socket creation routine, changing the ports in setup will resolve that issue.

As with winmx if your not getting search results its likely you need to change primary node.

As many of us have uber sized libraries to share there has been a problem with the library "locking up" the client this is because as with the early versions of winmx the files are being hashed as they are scanned  and this is a tad labour intensive. The developers are working on this but for the moment can I suggest smaller batches of files be added at a time and that will keep you working till the library issue is resolved.

Thanks to all those who have posted bug reports and made screenshots to help locate these sometimes obscure issues

Offline Elroyd

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:54:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice GS. Working ok now.
It will take time to iron out the niggles with the new client ,but at least we have a working client.. I really appreciate the hard work that the development team undertook to bring this to fruition.
The detractors now seem to be conspicuous by their absence, you know the people i'm referring too

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:04:18 pm »
All in the community have been very patient with both wmw and the development team Elroyd and your correct in stating that it will take a bit more time to clear up some of the issues and  fix it up further , but I agree its a good start and my own thanks too go to all those who have helped directly or indirectly with bringing us something to build the communities future on, thanks to you all , you know who you are.  8) 8) 8)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:12:57 pm »
i cant help but wonder what the release (newer versions) schedule will be?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »
I like to think you have a good idea even if the details are a bit thin on the ground at present Stripes  :)

Stage one is this release and obviously Stage 2 is to get folks happy with using it and demonstrating its stability and useful features etc . Stage 3 is to start the work of swapping some of the network functions about and adding new ones to offer further features and critically to address some of the major protocol holes that currently we can only band aid over, at that stage the network will we hope be able to move in a single mass of users to a new client based network and enjoy some peace and quiet for some years.

As for a time frame I dare not say just yet but I'm sure once the developers have fixed most of the bugs etc the road will become clearer to all of us.

Offline Elroyd

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 10:25:52 pm »
Can anyone help please ??
When using the new client I cannot manage to download and transfer files from either the search function, or from other users lists after browsing. Is there anything I need
to configure.

Thanks

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 12:26:55 am »
would help if you could be a bit more specific about what you do and what happens.
it does not work alone does not tell much
does the transfer get into the transfer list or not?
if so does the transfer time out ?

Offline Elroyd

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 07:45:11 am »
Hi Wonderer

The files do not appear on the transfer window when I either use the download button or double click on a users file when using the search function.

Thanks for your help

Offline Elroyd

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »
The problem i'm having has been posted in the bug reports by another user, but no response with a solution has been posted so far.

Can anyone help at all  :cry:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 06:05:24 pm »
I could spend a lot of time asking questions and then figuring out a temporary fix for the issue your having Elroyd but can I suggest you hold fire till we fix a few more bugs or just run secondary mode as thats the most bug free section of the client at this time , I owe you a favour for your patience  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx