gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 02:49:15 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Free SSL Certificate Authority See's Comodo Trying To TradeMark Its Slogan
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Free SSL Certificate Authority See's Comodo Trying To TradeMark Its Slogan  (Read 1374 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Just following up an old story I posted when this was originally announced some time ago  :)

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160623/17483934805/super-slimey-comodo-tries-to-trademark-lets-encrypt-updated.shtml

Almost two years ago, we excitedly wrote about the announcement behind Let's Encrypt, a free certificate authority that was focused on dramatically lowering the hurdles towards protecting much more of the internet with HTTPS encrypted connections.

Unfortunately, it appears the old guard of certificate authorities doesn't like this very much. Comodo, which has provided certificates for quite some time (and, in fact, is where Techdirt's certificate comes from) has apparently, somewhat ridiculously, been trying to trademark versions of "Let's Encrypt." The most troubling one is the one on purely "Let's Encrypt," but the other two (Comodo Let's Encrypt and Let's Encrypt with Comodo) are equally problematic -- especially since (as Comodo admits directly) it's never used that phrase in offering its existing certificates.

This seems like a clear situation where Comodo is seeking to confuse the market -- and thus the clear case where trademark law actually makes some sense. As we've said basically forever, trademark is quite different than copyrights and patents, in that it was really designed as a consumer protection law, to keep consumers from being tricked into buying something that they believe is from a different entity. Trademarks are widely and frequently abused, but there are times where the original intent of consumer protection makes sense, and this seems like one of them. What's incredible is that when Let's Encrypt reached out to Comodo about this, the company refused to abandon the attempt to trademark these names.

As the author of this article points out this is simply a case of bad faith skullduggery on comodos behalf, folks should be in no confusion, comodo have nothing what so ever to do with the "Lets Encrypt" and their attempt to try to steal and monopolise a pre-existing slogan is beneath contempt.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
I use Lets Encrypt it's great. I hope they fight this and win. Comodo are scum and I am unfortunately still a customer of theirs until October for some of my certs. They won't be getting any more money from me however.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Free SSL Certificate Authority See's Comodo Trying To TradeMark Its Slogan

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx