gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 03:47:05 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  Using WinMX on Windows Virtual PC
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Using WinMX on Windows Virtual PC  (Read 7535 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Using WinMX on Windows Virtual PC
« on: November 04, 2018, 11:07:37 am »
I was just snooping around the tutorials sections and noticed this older basic guide to using virtual machine software had not been published , my apologies folks   :gum:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/running_winmx_on_windows_virtual_pc.html

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Using WinMX on Windows Virtual PC
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:31:46 am »
does this support network bridging? you need to do that to get the ports forwarded to the outside world...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »
The technical stuff lies here..

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windows_vpc/2009/12/06/networking-in-windows-virtual-pc/

The simple answer is yes it does  :D

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 12:21:50 am »
A newer alternative to this software (since Microsoft discontinued it a long time ago) is VirtualBox which is free and runs on Windows, macOS and Linux. An easy and fast way to get WinMX on a Mac!

There's also some paid software like VMWare Workstation. I think VMWare Player is free though, or it may be called View now I don't know.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »
I have looked into virtualbox recently for an old game and its a decent alternative to the off the shelf MS stuff , I was going to reply earlier but my PC decided to have an "episode" and the spares only just got here today, I'll look into creating a newer guide to using MX with Virtualbox and get it posted up, cheers for the feedback  :-D

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 09:50:12 pm »
I just ordered a NAS that should be able to run a vm - planning to run windows for winmx on that :D
Once it's arrived I'll let you all know and maybe I'll make a guide for that if I feel that might be needed. :walk:
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 01:56:55 am »
win 7 and 8.1 are the only supported versions besides 10... and win 7 doesnt have long... which os are you going to use?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 06:35:57 am »
I wont ever be using win10, I can comfortably say I will expire before that happens  :lol:

I will look at win 7 and maybe check out win 8 but after that its really going to head into non MS territory, I am not interested in running anything they have produced of late,

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:21:36 am »
i have a hunch where this tutorial is going to go so dont forget this; https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Signatures-Updates/Windows-XP-SP4-Unofficial.shtml

it weighs in at around 900mb and can update any service pack version of XP Pro to the latest version... note that it needs to be the pro version of xp since windows POSReady is built on xp pro... it'll break things to install it on the home variant... the posready security updates will also keep xp patched till around april of 2019..  ....not sure im going to trust that grocery store ATM after that date...

you'll also need to install .net 4.0 separately even tho it says it includes it (needed for joshes channel rejoiner)

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 01:26:16 am »
OK, so the nas arrived and I created a virtual machine and installed win10 on it.
I don't think there's anything special about running winmx on a vm and there's enough guides for setting up a vm on the web already.

In my case I ditched the windows vm though and did a linux vm and am now running winmx with wine on the vm like I do on this computer.
Although wine is quite a blob it still needs way less resources than running on win 10 - plus it's free :D

Now I just gotta find a torrent client I like for the nas and then I can shut down this computer wheneven I don't need it.
Anything filesharing then runs on the nas - mission accomplished ! :walk:
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  Using WinMX on Windows Virtual PC

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx