gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 11:17:38 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  wcs - any substitutte for /setchannelvisible
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: wcs - any substitutte for /setchannelvisible  (Read 1326 times)

guessed

wcs - any substitutte for /setchannelvisible
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:55:14 pm »
fantasy feature:

/setchannelvisible 0/1 like winmx chatroom command

afaik, it would allow remote control the 'offline' setting

this ability would help when no one is at console to be able to edit the config and reload.  afaik, that is currently the only way to change this setting.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:01:18 am »
I would suggest this is just adding a feature that could be exploited and whilst I know KM could just add a few lines to do this, its not something I would like to see.

Whats your opinion KM ?

KM

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:31:58 am »
the biggest concern is that while you give more abilities to admins, you also add to the potential damage that could be done by a rougue admin, a typical example being 3.53 where any admin might be able to change any setting they want and completely take over the channel whenever they wanted to, obviously being able to configure more is good for a properly set up channel with admins that (dare i say it?) do a good job, however a big concern is that many hosts don't know what they are doing and just go giving all admins full access because it is easier - i could just say that's their own fault but that wouldn't be very helpful after their room was messed up

guessed

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 04:57:28 pm »
Quote from: KM
the biggest concern is that while you give more abilities to admins, you also add to the potential damage that could be done by a rougue admin, a typical example being 3.53 where any admin might be able to change any setting they want and completely take over the channel whenever they wanted to, obviously being able to configure more is good for a properly set up channel with admins that (dare i say it?) do a good job, however a big concern is that many hosts don't know what they are doing and just go giving all admins full access because it is easier - i could just say that's their own fault but that wouldn't be very helpful after their room was messed up

That is a petty problem.. such dorks can be eliminated from admin ranks easily.  It not like any admin has any backdoor right?  so no biggie here.  whoever has console can make a quick edit to the config to delete access for such a rogue admin and click that spiffy new [reload] button .. problem solved.

anyway, I'm away from my systems for a couple weeks and such a feature would be useful, as would a winmx type command for /setchannelname

reasons for both.. I left my main room running and also a backup on a second machine.  I would like to be able to remotely be able to set the offline backup room online if it were needed.  And for the other command, I just had a friend need a backup when his room went offline.  If I had these commands, I could bring my backup room online and change the room name to his temporarily.

also, what about /channelname2 and 3 to reveal what those are set to?  and maybe /channelnamex to return all three channelnames that may be set.

and while I am dreaming.. /setchannelname2 and /setchannelname3  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  wcs - any substitutte for /setchannelvisible

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx