gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 12:01:00 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Choosing Connection Type (Primary v Secondary)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Choosing Connection Type (Primary v Secondary)  (Read 16692 times)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Choosing Connection Type (Primary v Secondary)
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:26:21 am »
Contrary to the advice given on other sites, & the impression given during setup if you only scan the dialogue.  Just because you're able to make a Primary connection, it doesn't mean you must, or even in some circumstances should.

While the network does need a certain proportion of Primary users to work properly, it actually works less well if everyone runs primary.

Firstly I would encourage anyone who can to set up & run primary long enough to prove they have their port setup correct & working, I thought I'd list some valid reasons why you might run Secondary thereafter.  Secondary users are NOT leeches, they help support the network & community by sharing files & using chat.  It's worth noting that you can download FASTER from secondaries as they don't use bandwidth supporting searches etc., being a secondary isn't a bad thing. 

Therefore, I thought I would take this chance to post valid reasons for choosing to run secondary on a day to day basis:

1) You keep WinMX on only for short periods & restart it or your computer often
          in this situation, your searches will be less effective, & the shutdowns & resets disconnect any secondaries you happen to be hosting, which is disruptive to those users.

2) You find you have to reduce "Search Thread Duty Cycle" in settings from the default, for decent PC performance on primary
          running a reduced primary reduces network efficiency & does no favours either to you, the secondaries you host, & for any searches you process, if you need a primary to host, fair enough, though in that situation it would be worth considering a third party chatserver.

3) Your ISP imposes restrictive bandwidth limits
          Australians in particular need note here, as the biggest ISP imposes a 10GB / month limit on the normal dsl account and reduces your speed dramatically after it has been reached, running primary will use this limit by itself (without searches or downloads) in a matter of days (around a week) and you'll find yourself with a connection that sucks generally the rest of the month..  This can apply anywhere, depending on ISP.

4)  Heavy CPU usage and/or slow PC (also network intensive software use e.g. online games)
          Primaries process searches at idle priority, using "spare" CPU cycles, if your PC is heavily loaded, or slow (or both), there won't be many for it to use, keep an eye on your spm= value over a period of time, if it's routinely much less than a 5 digit number, consider switching as it is processing searches very inefficiently.

5) "Slow" broadband (yes cable/dsl packages under 512K exist) and / or traffic shaping ISP
           in this situation you have (or are alllowed) only limited resources, don't waste them trying to support a Primary connection badly, run secondary & enjoy the increased upload & download speeds.

6)  You connect using a modified hosts file (typically Pie patch)
          in this situation, even using PeerGuardian & the winmxworld blocklist you will be hosting flooders at times, owing to the long update interval, in this situation you should either upgrade to using the winmxgroup patch available HERE or download & run THIS FILE to change patch, or run as a Secondary connection AT ALL TIMES

I hope this enables you to make an informed & rational choice of connection, the above reflects my current  understanding, I'm sure if it contains errors those who know more will point them out, in which case I shall be happy to edit this post to correct them.

Happy WinMXing

*Minor edit to include extra important information   BB
*edit direct link to patch revised to point to winmxgroup homepage   BB
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

KM

Re: Choosing Connection Type (Primary v Secondary)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:50:21 am »
*Minor edit to include extra important information   BB

so is it minor, or important? :-)

as well as that long list, there are also search routing issues with too many primaries as searches have a fixed "horizon" (they will only go so far) so having more primaries makes the network more spread out so that search horizon actually covers the same number of primaries, but a lower number of total users (as each primary has less users on it)... however I'm not sure the exact effects that has because the only real way to tell would be by comparisons on a real WPN with hundreds of thousands of users all primary, and another WPN with the same number of users with mostly secondary and just the required number of primaries... i don't happen to have 2 spare WPNs laying around atm unfortunately

i think the most obvious difference is of course the uploads, all of those users who are running primary that don't need to, if each of them switched to secondary that would be at least 7k/s more bandwidth being used for file transfers from each of them, making files download faster, reducing queues, etc

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:55:37 am »
The edit is minor, there wasn't much change, the information was important, therefore the statement stands.

dcnewcomb

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »
My thanks to all of you who responded to my primary versus secondary question.  Especially bearded blunder, I found that information very useful.  Again, thanks.

Old hippie man-my screen name

Now I can move on to my next question!

Joseph Carrel

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:41:16 pm »
i am having problems with my tcp ports

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:39:10 pm »
please expand upon your post joseph in order for someone to help you

Julez's Amy

how do i open ports on a siemens se567 router?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:07:51 am »
how do i open ports on a siemens router?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 03:15:08 am »
Julez's_Amy555_25491 has left
<<cyber_beardy___(43/m/uk)>> given portforward don't list it.. well um.. you could either google for a userguide.. or look for one on cd that came with it... or do remote desktop thing so i could look... or f**k off before i finish typing...
seems you chose the final option like most people..

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 03:39:40 am »
before anyone gets too vexed with me Amy is one of my regs & took it in good part as indeed i knew she would..
<<cyber_beardy___(43/m/uk)>> wb amy xX
<DejaBlue> S'ok
´¯`°¤Julez's_Amy¤°´¯` omg i think i got it
<<cyber_beardy___(43/m/uk)>> woooo
´¯`°¤Julez's_Amy¤°´¯` mabe
Julez's_Amy crosses fingers
<<cyber_beardy___(43/m/uk)>> i think i wasa bit vexed when i responded to you over @ wmw
´¯`°¤Julez's_Amy¤°´¯` hehe

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Choosing Connection Type (Primary v Secondary)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx