gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:13:00 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  banip problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: banip problem  (Read 6163 times)

Galactic Overlord

banip problem
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:37:51 pm »
Again Thanks KM .... Hostname has returned!!!

o.O

lol
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 09:25:33 pm »
now i see why KM closed his forum

you guys cry to much :!:

confused blonde

banip problem
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 09:37:35 pm »
Thanks for adding that KM... i appreciate u doing something about it.

and in reply to the last post.. as for crying too much..  i thought that was why the forums were here.. to discuss if we had problems with winmx... or WCS.  How would anyone know if there was a problem if no one said anything about it..?

Never mind.. its sorted now.  Thnx again KM.

NewB

banip problem
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 08:46:56 pm »
Quote from: KM
add the option FancyEntry=0 to your config, and restart WCS so it updates to 1.7.1 and it'll get rid of the fancy entry message for admins

but if you want to kick and ban someone then you should use /kickban username or to just ban them use /ban username, and to ban an IP Address /banip 1.2.3.4...

with FancyEntry, is it the color code?  and/or the change in IP position that makes winmx not register the IP for /banIP use?

FancyEntry=0
nick_hash [1.2.3.4] has entered

FancyEntry=1
nick_hash has entered [1.2.3.4]

?

Also, users should note that winmx doesn't link the IP if the user changes primary.

Also, winmx doesn't apply IP if user has some increased WCS access.  How does winmx know what accesslevels WCS uses so as to block the IP on /banip?  I could understand if WCS used numeric levels for admin access that was like winmx.. but since it is completely different it stumps me how winmx determines level xxxxx is protected from IP bans, or at least setting them up.

Another thing.. just what is the syntax for a partial /banip?  winmx handles it with /16 etc.. how does WCS record partial IPs?

/banip nick 1.2.*.* ?

/banip nick 1.2.* ?

KM

banip problem
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 12:52:12 pm »
the thing that confuses winmx is because its not actually sending down a "user has joined" message, instead its sending a user notification (used for loading the user list when you first enter) then sending down a separate line of coloured text in the room that winmx would just see the same as a /notice or anything, that's why there are some small issues with picking it up

and winmx only knows the IP Address if it gets sent it, there are 2 different "user joined" messages that the server can send, one with an IP Address and one without, so the client doesn't actually know if a user has higher access or anything, it just knows if it was given an IP Address when the user entered or not. and nobody is protected from an IP ban with WCS, if you ban by IP Address then even if someone is in the room with that IP Address and you cant normally kick them, you can still ban them (but not kick them so they have a chance to unban themselves)

finally... for a partial IP Address you just use 1.2.  and it'll ban any IP Address containing "1.2." - meaning 1.2.*.* :-)

NewB

banip problem
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 02:35:45 pm »
the thing that confuses winmx is because its not actually sending down a "user has joined" message, instead its sending a user notification (used for loading the user list when you first enter) then sending down a separate line of coloured text in the room that winmx would just see the same as a /notice or anything, that's why there are some small issues with picking it up

and winmx only knows the IP Address if it gets sent it, there are 2 different "user joined" messages that the server can send, one with an IP Address and one without, so the client doesn't actually know if a user has higher access or anything, it just knows if it was given an IP Address when the user entered or not. and nobody is protected from an IP ban with WCS, if you ban by IP Address then even if someone is in the room with that IP Address and you cant normally kick them, you can still ban them (but not kick them so they have a chance to unban themselves)

Well, i'm still confused.  :cry:

IP is sent [to admins] with fancyentry on or off.  Just in a different color and position.  winmx sees the ip if it is listed right after the nick in the standard color.  it does not seem to register it at the end of the joined line, in the new color.  My question is, if the IP is sent after the nick, but in the new color, would it then be 'seen' and registered by winmx?

I played with the fancyentry setting and login for a while.

Using the winmx menu command [v3.54b4] for /banip, I found that:

1] with fancyentry off, the command pastes [/banip nick-ID IP] in the edit box - just as expected

2] with fancyentry off and the target user logged in with WCS access levels [not any winmx level], the command only pastes [/banip nick-ID] in the edit box [IP is missing]

3] with fancyentry on, the command only pastes [/banip nick-ID] in the edit box [IP is missing]

I don't get  why or how, in #2] winmx omits the IP just because the user is logged in.  I don't think winmx understands or parses WCS access levels, so it is strange having a non-default WCS level affects the winmx command behavior.   I am not suggesting that the IP can't be manually added to the /banip line, but i do not understand why winmx omits the IP in certain circumstances.

:?:

Anonymous

banip problem
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 03:08:20 pm »
Quote from: NewB

2] with fancyentry off and the target user logged in with WCS access levels [not any winmx level], the command only pastes [/banip nick-ID] in the edit box [IP is missing]
I don't get  why or how, in #2] winmx omits the IP just because the user is logged in.  I don't think winmx understands or parses WCS access levels, so it is strange having a non-default WCS level affects the winmx command behavior.   I am not suggesting that the IP can't be manually added to the /banip line, but i do not understand why winmx omits the IP in certain circumstances.

:?:

To clarify, if needed...

I have this in my config:
DefaultAccess=AaCm
Password=AaCm=reset

With fancyentry off, user12345 joins.

I highlight his nick and do "/banip" from the winmx menu and "/banip user12345 1.2.3.4" is pasted to the entry box.

Then user12345 does "/login reset" which changes nothing since that password login merely resets the user access to the default value [same as he had on join]

But, now after that /login.. when I do the "/banip" command, winmx pastes just  "/banip user12345 " to the entry box.  It doesn't preset the IP.

Something has changed the behavior of winmx, i just don't understand what.
 :shock:

KM

banip problem
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 08:12:59 pm »
the text you see on the screen is nothing to do with what the server sends, although it is effected by it

when the user enters, it sends down a user entry message - this is not the text "Blah123_12345 (DSL 15 files)" or whatever, this is just all the details get sent to the client, it can also send the IP Address in with the user entry message... the coloured text doesn't send a user entry message, it sends down a "this user is already in the room" followed by "display the 'text Blah123_12345 (DSL 15 files) has entered (1.2.3.4)'"

hope that clears up the confusion... the client doesn't hide the IP Address if you aren't logged in, it just never gets told it

KiLO

banip problem
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2005, 01:53:37 am »
I was wondering, a few people I talked to have a problem with this FancyEntry. Is there any point to it (Other than having a 'fancy' looking entry string)?

It seems to prevent people from administrating their rooms.

KM

banip problem
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2005, 02:00:26 pm »
well, it shouldn't have any problems, because lets face it most admins ban people using /kickban <name> the correct way, rather than through an incorrect use of /banip, but yes the only reason for it is to make it look nicer, i find it more reabable as well, but that might just be me...

NewB

banip problem
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 08:01:28 pm »
the text you see on the screen is nothing to do with what the server sends, although it is effected by it

when the user enters, it sends down a user entry message - this is not the text "Blah123_12345 (DSL 15 files)" or whatever, this is just all the details get sent to the client, it can also send the IP Address in with the user entry message... the coloured text doesn't send a user entry message, it sends down a "this user is already in the room" followed by "display the 'text Blah123_12345 (DSL 15 files) has entered (1.2.3.4)'"

hope that clears up the confusion... the client doesn't hide the IP Address if you aren't logged in, it just never gets told it

No.  I think my point gets lost.

With fancyentry off,...
Blah123_12345 (DSL 15 files) has entered (1.2.3.4)

I highlight his nick and do "/banip" from the winmx menu and
"/banip Blah123_12345 1.2.3.4 "
 is pasted to the input box. [I don't hit 'enter' to set it-just testing to confirm this quirk]

Then Blah123_12345 does "/login reset" where password "reset" = AaCm

I highlight his nick again and do the same "/banip" command from the winmx menu and just
"/banip Blah123_12345 "
 is pasted to the input box.  It doesn't preset the IP like it did before he did the /login command.

Could it be winmx strips the IP from the /banip output for any 'logged in' user, regardless of the access level?  It has to still remember the users IP right?  It just omits it under this circumstance.  no biggy.. just a quirk ..

Anonymous

banip problem
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2005, 08:30:51 pm »
i'll tell you what's happening.

when the user entered, with FancyEntry off, wcs sent winmx an ip address for the user.

when the user logged in, if they got or lost a + or @, wcs has to tell winmx that the user has changed so the user list can be updated.  only wcs doesn't actually bother see whether it's changed or not, it just sends the update anyway.  regardless, when wcs tells winmx that the user was updated, that update doesn't include an ip address.  winmx isn't trusting the information it got when the user entered anymore, it's going off the update.

NewB

banip problem
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2005, 10:49:27 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous
i'll tell you what's happening.

when the user entered, with FancyEntry off, wcs sent winmx an ip address for the user.

when the user logged in, if they got or lost a + or @, wcs has to tell winmx that the user has changed so the user list can be updated.  only wcs doesn't actually bother see whether it's changed or not, it just sends the update anyway.  regardless, when wcs tells winmx that the user was updated, that update doesn't include an ip address.  winmx isn't trusting the information it got when the user entered anymore, it's going off the update.

Well, as i noted earlier:
I have this in my config:
DefaultAccess=AaCm
Password=AaCm=reset

I do not use + or @ for any admins.
There was no change in access level.  /login reset merely sets accesslevel to the join default value.

Other than those details, I think I understand and if so it seems to be a winmx bug since it fails to keep track of updates.  In other tests I found that winmx loses track of the IP when the user refreshes primary connection, causing the ID hash to change.

It is minor and I am sure the winmx dev team has more important issues on their plate for whenever they decide to resume development.

Thanks you and KM for helping clarify it for me. :wink:

KM

banip problem
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 02:35:17 pm »
its simple, a login does send a rename to update the status, because it saves a lot of extra checking, but doesn't make much difference, but the thing with right clicking and banip - ignoring the fact that you are banning the IP Address "Test123_12345 1.2.3.4" (yes, you are trying to ban that as an IP Address!) the reason winmx doesn't add the IP Address with the fancy join is because it doesn't know it, winmx is not getting told that a user with the ip address 1.2.3.4, the name Test123_12345, 57 files, dsl etc has entered, its being told there is a user in the room with the name Test123_12345, 57 files, dsl, etc, and then being told to display the text "Test123_12345 (DSL 57 files) has entered (1.2.3.4)" - its being told to display that text, it at no point gets told the users IP Address, this is because winmx doesn't support any way of the server sending down the IP Address other than an entry message, and an entry message causes winmx to display the user entered text, which means you cant use a seperate bit of text for that

NewB

banip problem
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2005, 06:09:02 am »
its simple, a login does send a rename to update the status, because it saves a lot of extra checking, but doesn't make much difference, but the thing with right clicking and banip - ignoring the fact that you are banning the IP Address "Test123_12345 1.2.3.4" (yes, you are trying to ban that as an IP Address!) the reason winmx doesn't add the IP Address with the fancy join is because it doesn't know it, winmx is not getting told that a user with the ip address 1.2.3.4, the name Test123_12345, 57 files, dsl etc has entered, its being told there is a user in the room with the name Test123_12345, 57 files, dsl, etc, and then being told to display the text "Test123_12345 (DSL 57 files) has entered (1.2.3.4)" - its being told to display that text, it at no point gets told the users IP Address, this is because winmx doesn't support any way of the server sending down the IP Address other than an entry message, and an entry message causes winmx to display the user entered text, which means you cant use a seperate bit of text for that

I tested with fancyentry off too.

My problem is that winmx client KNOWS the IP.  It pasted it on the first /banip command.  then a /login command by the user made it lose track of the IP.

As to the format WCS uses for /banip, except for not supporting [netmask], it seems to function the same as winmx which has a syntax of /banip <user> <IP>[/nm] [minutes]

it appears that WCS does not  ban "Test123_12345 1.2.3.4" as simply an IP, but it parses it properly.  I just tested with the basic winmx syntax, including nick_hash and WCS handled it as expected.

01:51:32 [C0] <BlaH123_12345> /banip BlaH123_12345 1.2.3.4
01:51:44 [C0] <BlaH123_12345> /listbans

01:51:44 <IP Based Ban>
01:51:44    BlaH123_12345 1.2.3.4

after setting that nick/ip ban on myself, i left and tried to rejoin:

01:52:38 [C0] BlaH123_12345 Disconnected (1.2.3.4)
01:52:42 [C0] Banned user attempted to enter (1.2.3.4)

KM

banip problem
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2005, 01:19:45 pm »
i know, that is actually a bug, and one i cant figure out why, but i'm not going to bother fixing that one :-)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  banip problem

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx