gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 04, 2024, 08:12:04 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Block Flooders
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Block Flooders  (Read 5822 times)

WinMXfan

Block Flooders
« on: September 28, 2005, 01:44:29 pm »
Thanks for helping me get WinMX back up and running. I will try to input something new to the Forum. I have read nearly all the pages (hours!) and I think I might be on to something here.

When you search, you are flooded with false files - some easily detected because of the easily recognisable wrong length. But there is more, if you take a 'False' file, right click it and do a 'whois', you get something like this:

Reported by WinMX Peer Network remote host
Time/date of report: Wed Sep 28 09:26:44 2005
User Name: toadtina848_17727
Connection Type: DSL
Files shared: 3000
Elapsed time online: 48:42
Transfer Status:  5 of 7 available

You will notice that all the 'flooders' have a 3000 file shared common denominator. Also, nearly all the 'flooders' have a name (toadtina) followed by 3 numbers, underscore and 5 numbers.

I was searching 'Pussy Cat Dolls' 'Beep'.

Now, is there any way you can block out the flooders, who use a common array of username, like we can block IP's and Users of Forums?

I would think, that with all this magnificent brainpower, we could come up with some kind of code to block access to these flooders, or actually not have WinMX validate them by having them appear in our search.

I would think that if RIAA/MPAA would want to shut down all P2P they would have to:

1) shut down the internet
       2) close all servers
       3) seize and destroy every computer in the world! Well, OK, they                  could leave 1!

As I see the team players divided:

RIAA / less than 1000 players ~~~ Us / 50,000,000 players

How do you like the odds?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Block Flooders
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 01:51:53 pm »
LOL

I love the odds.. always have..
I am not a betting type of girl,,, so i only bet on a sure thing   :wink:

One more note to add to a great post

Use the filters we have when searching!!  Allowing yourself to search the flooded results CRASHES our primaries

For mp3s, putting a -c: in the second bar of your searches and the artist in the top bar, and for movies or games put -user under the title.  This eliminates a HUGE majority of the flooding results.

Happy WinmXing

WinMXfan

Block Flooders
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 04:41:15 pm »
Sorry, I am not being clear. If any of the Admon's or Mod's want to jump in here, please feel free.

WHAT i MEAN IS:

If you do a search, (the filter thing doesn't work for me), and you click on 'Show Full Paths', you will see the flooders are useing a 'settings and documents' path to give you a bad file. The GOOD files show a proper WinMX file or MP3 file.

There must be a way to FILTER ALL searches to disallow displaying of these bad returns and simply show you a valid pathway for MP3/WinMX files.

Christ, I'm having a hard time explaining myself..........

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Block Flooders
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 05:13:40 pm »
Its OK..
communications are weak at best on message boards
I am an admin of  the board, and we help people to use the filtering all the time.. its just more important then ever to stop the results comiing in at all, rather then just ensuring you dont try to download them...

You can filter the fake users completely from your results

this is how it works when you include an '-' sign infront of a word or letter, WinMX will exclude these from your searches.  This includes words or letters from the 'Full Path'

So when you search do this

Top:  File Name
Second Line: -c: -user

The flooders if you browse them, are only using two methods at this time

Full Path of:
C:Documents and settings\<insert lots of names here>\My documents\My Music\ Track name
or
user\files\ track name

When you type the -c: or -user  you eliminate these flooders from your search.
This does two things..
One it keeps you from having to Whois all of them or dig through paths cause if you do it right you WILL NOT get fake results.
It also keep these high speed servers from DOS attacking the primaries the search was sent through or returned through.

So, yes we have to use the filters to searh, and if it didnt work there is something wrong with the way you entered it.. its 100% filtering right now.

If you have any ?s let me know..  :wink:

FYI: The advise your posting is great .. i simply wanted to add to the informaion here for others to learn also..

Anonymous

Block Flooders
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 05:16:35 pm »
The WinMX program ALREADY sorts files that are to be displayed. You can choose between AVI, MP3, JPEG, ect, so why not create a line of code that will block, or not accept a return for a search that contains anything to do with 'documents and settings' in the file pathway.

Nearly all files that are valid are contained in 'My Music' folder, or the like.

Doesn't anyone understand me :cry:

WinMXfan

Block Flooders
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 05:24:47 pm »
Thank You!

I was inserting the -c: before the title! Now I see ya can't do that. That really helps in stopping the display of the flooders.

(A line of code in the WinMX program would be nice, though. It could be added to and updated just as anti-virus programs are as the flooders concoct more ways to screw us up)

Thanks!

KM

Block Flooders
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 08:59:04 pm »
c:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music

correct, most of the real files are contained within the "My Music" folder... within the documents and settings folder (as that is where it is located on NT systems)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Block Flooders
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 09:18:31 pm »
Just to be clear, at this time the WinMX program itself had not been altered in any way as this would be illegal without the consent of the owners and developers of it.

grayfox455

What if.....?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 06:28:21 am »
I don't keep the download files in My Music. They are at first downloaded  into a folder named WinMX Downloads, then they are moved between two folders depending on whether I have the original album or not. I did this a few years back in responce to reports that the Evil Empire was able to search ones shared file and count the number of songs one had and proceed from there to have jack booted Nazis harass one to death. So I guess with the - c: filter I will appear as a flooder but in reality am just scared to the point of paronia and move things around to hide them. Will I look like a 'flooder' to others?

I started into p2p to be able to listen to all the vinyl LPs I bought during my earlier lifetime. The music that made me feel good but have not been able to listen to for what has seemed to be forever. I don't even know where to find a magnetic phono cartridge and a new needle anymore. and if the belt in my old Pioneer turntable has turned to dust.... well there's one more problem. So it was absolutely awesome to download the stuff I had on vinyl and some others too and be able to hear them again. Then the Napster garbage started and I started the procedures to hide the files the way I listed above and now the one p2p that I had thought was safe WinMX became a casualty.

When I was was younger I had hopes and dreams of what adulthood would be like. Now I have found each day to be more crushing and depressing than the one before. Stagnent pay, deadend career, the world gone nuts, and then the price of gas in the ionishere just the latest downer. Some nights I pray it'll be my last on this plane but the morning finds me still here. Too many injuries, too many afflictions have taken their toll. Pretty sad for 50 isn't it? Still, I can't shake it and surely won't lie about it.

I love what you're doing here, Me Here. If that is you in the pic you're oh so fortunate, brains and beauty. Don't ever take 'em for granted.. you're very blessed.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Block Flooders
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 03:55:27 pm »
Grayfox
Very touching post and thank you for sharing it with us.  Please find that your not alone in the concept that there are many disapointments to life and finding enjoyment in something .. well many of us that spend alot of time on the internet are probably lacking in other areas.. myself included.

I find it rewarding to run into people and enrich my life with thier presence.. even if its just through typed words.  I met my soulmate on WinMX, I am not that lady in the picture.. I guess people tell me I am beautiful my self I dont see that part.  I am a nurse by trade and a computer junkie.. and I love to teach and learn... not that you actually asked about me but, so you know i try not to take this for granted.

The answer to your question is NO, you will not look like a flooder.  We ask people under normal times to use the -c: filter and when a real file downloads click on 'Find sources Now' to ensure they find your rich bounty of files listed on a C: drive.  Excuse me for missing that point and thank you for allowing me to explain that now..

The flooders will have up to 20 copies of the same titles listed of hundreds of different artists.. Its very obvious when you browse them that its just not right.
The point in my stressing this right now is this..

IF your searching and your not using the filters you are helping the RIAA DOS attack the primaries with floods of data in the results.  Its of vital importance now that people understand this.  There are no actual files, you cant download these, and the results come so fast from the high speed servers it causes the primaries the information comes through to disconnect.

Cheers Gray for pointing this out.. and keep smiling your mx is safe for now.

Anonymous

Re: Block Flooders
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 02:43:37 am »
I have read nearly all the pages (hours!) and I think I might be on to something here.

When you search, you are flooded with false files - some easily detected because of the easily recognisable wrong length. But there is more, if you take a 'False' file, right click it and do a 'whois', you get something like this:

Time/date of report: Wed Sep 28 09:26:44 2005
User Name: toadtina848_17727
Elapsed time online: 48:42
Transfer Status: 5 of 7 available

You will notice that all the 'flooders' have a 3000 file shared common denominator. Also, nearly all the 'flooders' have a name (toadtina) followed by 3 numbers, underscore and 5 numbers.

Yikes..........If this is in fact the case I had just such a person upload one off me today.  If your correct I guess thry got me!!  Do they usually bother to upload from other users or no?  As it happens I have some info saved on this user so if anyone is interested in seeing it let me know.

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
Block Flooders
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 06:25:43 am »
When using -user and -c: fetch 0 results you can further refine your search to get the genuine files from user who use the default winmx shared directory[ - equals minus].
Press the "stop" button on search results loading tons of fake files before it gets to 400. The loading of the fake search results/lists is damaging to winmx primary connections and the new peer caches and in severe cases may cause your winmx to crash.  Look at the 400 results you have, do the fakefiles contain the song track number? Or some other word they have in common such as "real". Exclude these files by typing -real -06 in the lower search field under the title and artist.
If you have pressed download from the search window on any of the fakefiles please ensure you do not have autosearch on or they will kick back in and flood the connection again. Right click it in the downlad window and press delete.
Anyone currently  making a primary connection to the winmx network are using the resources of people who have worked long and hard to defeat the RIAA. If you aren't blocking the fakefilers you are hosting the RIAA dos attack by allowing them to connect to you as secondaries.
The https://www.winmxgroup.com/ws2_32.dll patch  blocks them, if you are using a Hosts file patch you need to get Sherwood, Peerguardian etc or obtain a blocklist and write the ip's into your firewall.

djtwystr

Re: What if.....?
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 04:54:40 am »
Quote from: grayfox455
I don't keep the download files in My Music. They are at first downloaded  into a folder named WinMX Downloads, then they are moved between two folders depending on whether I have the original album or not. I did this a few years back in responce to reports that the Evil Empire was able to search ones shared file and count the number of songs one had and proceed from there to have jack booted Nazis harass one to death. So I guess with the - c: filter I will appear as a flooder but in reality am just scared to the point of paronia and move things around to hide them. Will I look like a 'flooder' to others?

I started into p2p to be able to listen to all the vinyl LPs I bought during my earlier lifetime. The music that made me feel good but have not been able to listen to for what has seemed to be forever. I don't even know where to find a magnetic phono cartridge and a new needle anymore. and if the belt in my old Pioneer turntable has turned to dust.... well there's one more problem. So it was absolutely awesome to download the stuff I had on vinyl and some others too and be able to hear them again. Then the Napster garbage started and I started the procedures to hide the files the way I listed above and now the one p2p that I had thought was safe WinMX became a casualty.

When I was was younger I had hopes and dreams of what adulthood would be like. Now I have found each day to be more crushing and depressing than the one before. Stagnent pay, deadend career, the world gone nuts, and then the price of gas in the ionishere just the latest downer. Some nights I pray it'll be my last on this plane but the morning finds me still here. Too many injuries, too many afflictions have taken their toll. Pretty sad for 50 isn't it? Still, I can't shake it and surely won't lie about it.

I love what you're doing here, Me Here. If that is you in the pic you're oh so fortunate, brains and beauty. Don't ever take 'em for granted.. you're very blessed.

A quick trip to a music store and about $150-200.00 later you can have a turntable and cartidge. I am a vinyl Dj and Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or Ebay will have turntables/carts for you to choose from.

Jola533

Block Flooders
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 10:42:32 am »
Hi
Someone in the middle of this thread told me who I was, where I was from, how they do that - scary, I was only browsing anyway :?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Block Flooders
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 01:05:36 pm »
Hi Jola,

That is a signature that KM one of our founding members made, it does report your IP address to you only.  It doesnt store this information its just for your own eyes.

Here is an example of what it looks like when I am viewing it.

schrikg

Block Flooders
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 06:02:02 pm »
I can see I'm from the Netherlands....
Old news I already knew that ;)

It knows that because you are reading the page on that server.
When you enter a server ,doesn't matter what ,it knows direcly you IP number.
All Ip numbers are owned by a provider so it also knows what provider you are using..
In the last 3 characters is the country code so now it knows what country you coming from.(exept for .com , .net ,. org etc)
And now you ask why does the server know what browser I use.
Easy your browser is telling that to the server so it can adjust the html code to make your browser show the page correctly.

When you still don't trust it do a little research on anonymous proxy-servers ;)

It's getting a little bit more dangerous when it knows your computer name! and the name of your private network at home or office.
Visit http://www.grc.com to learn more about that and let the grc.com servers test that.

I hope you are not scary anymore

IRISPRISM

TOTALLY CONFUSED
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 03:45:01 am »
THANK U FOR WINMIX.   I AM STILL LEARNING THIS.  BUT, I AM SO CONFUSED   IS WINMIX UP AND RUNNING AND BY WHAT REAL NAME.  DO I SIGN UP FOR WINMIXUNLIMED.NET   OR CONTINUE USING WINMIX AS I DID IN THE PAST?    

THANKS TO ALL OF U FOR ALL U HAVE DONE.   NOTE:   I SEE NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN  THE 80 S  WHEN WE WOULD HAVE VHS VIDEO PARTIES AND MAKE COPIES ALL WEEKEND (AND GET DRUNK)    POINT WE ALL SHARED OUR VIDS  WITH EACH OTHER    SO ,  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.    

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK    A REAL AMATEUR   IRISPRISM  

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Block Flooders
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 04:10:26 am »
Hi IRISPRISM,

Yes WinMX is up and running and not going anywhere.  It was quite a chore but with the help of many good folks and users we are here today.  
This is the real WinMX yes, which is a bit ironic that you mention WinMXUnlimited.net, because that site is a rip off site, they offer you nothing more then we do here for free.  I so hope you are not a victim of them and werent charged for using WinMX ..

Those sites are despicable and are just stealing your money!!

If you need any help, the program itself or any patches of any kind we are here free of charge.. dont hesitate to ask anything..  :wink:

Route66

The 3000 files !
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 11:51:39 pm »
I have a user dloading from me and have seen him a few times this last week. When I do a WHOIS, I get this response:-

Time/date of report: Fri Jan 20 23:23:32 2006
   User Name: Speedy1963_59678
   Elapsed time online: 11:31:22
   Transfer Status:  11 in queue (0 of 1 available)

Nearly all the files are MP3 and are stored in G:\MP3\artist\song titleplus  There are 26 documentaries in F:\Dokumentarfilmen\sub directory\film

Yet a browse shows only 2856 files at 25,373 megs ?

Is this a user with fake files?

Should I put this one in my IGNORE list? Thanks :cry:  8)

Route66

The 3000 files !
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 11:52:08 pm »
I have a user dloading from me and have seen him a few times this last week. When I do a WHOIS, I get this response:-

Time/date of report: Fri Jan 20 23:23:32 2006
   User Name: Speedy1963_59678
   Elapsed time online: 11:31:22
   Transfer Status:  11 in queue (0 of 1 available)

Nearly all the files are MP3 and are stored in G:\MP3\artist\song titleplus  There are 26 documentaries in F:\Dokumentarfilmen\sub directory\film

Yet a browse shows only 2856 files at 25,373 megs ?

Is this a user with fake files?

Should I put this one in my IGNORE list? Thanks :cry:  8)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Block Flooders

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx