gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 11:01:31 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Sony-BMG Rep Calls All Customers Theives For Ripping Their Own CD's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sony-BMG Rep Calls All Customers Theives For Ripping Their Own CD's  (Read 991 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Yes folks the real theives have crawled out from under a rock to throw more stones at their cutomers.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071002-sony-bmgs-chief-anti-piracy-lawyer-copying-music-you-own-is-stealing.html

Jennifer Pariser, the head of litigation for Sony BMG, was called to the stand to testify.
Pariser has a very broad definition of "stealing." When questioned by Richard Gabriel, lead counsel for the record labels, Pariser suggested that what millions of music fans do is actually theft. The dirty deed? Ripping your own CDs or downloading songs you already own.

Gabriel asked if it was wrong for consumers to make copies of music which they have purchased, even just one copy. Pariser replied, "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Making "a copy" of a purchased song is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," she said.

You,ll notice folks no mention is made of any fair use rights etc, we are hearing the words of a copyright fanatic and I expect many of you will agree those words are not in harmony with your existing legal rights, something Sony have decided your not entitled to under their plan for the global music marketplace.

We must remember this company is one of those that funds MediaDefenders cyber-terrorism campaign, many folks are now asking themselves if they are going to be lablelled theives for listening to music they own, why bother purchasing it in the first place and reward those who abuse their rights, I for one can't blame them for feeling like this.

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
Re: Sony-BMG Rep Calls All Customers Theives For Ripping Their Own CD's
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:05:47 am »
I imagine 'fair use' is a dirty phrase to those people lol

Be Good
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:02:33 am »
I wouldn't laugh and shrug this off so easily. Fair Use has been interpreted many ways.

One such way is to say that only the companies that own the copyrights (note: COPY rights) to the music hold the right to make a copy of it. Under that definition, purchasing the CD does not give you the right to copy it (which would include creating an MP3) because you may have purchased the music CD but you still don't own the rights to the music itself, so as much as you may laugh, a legitimate case could easily be made with the right judge (and no, I'm not talking about payoffs).

This has been a claim within many forums of media for years, but most seem to err on the side of "Loss possible money loss, no foul." The warning at the start of every movie does not say "copying is illegal UNLESS you purchase the movie and then it is ok". Creation (not necessarily distribution) of video game ROMs has been declared illegal for many years by companies like Nintendo who state that Fair Use copying is limited only to themselves a single backup copy in case the original gets damaged. Professional photographs cannot be reproduced by anyone except the original photographer until 70 years (or however long the length is) have passed. The fact that you bought the photo does not allow you to go just anywhere and get it reproduced. You are supposed to only go back to whoever owns the rights to the photo... which isn't you. (I have been turned down several times by professionals on asking old photos be reproduced for that reason.) And lastly, of course, it is illegal to record your favorite sport from the television without expressed permission from several people.

Naturally, none of these will likely result in the FBI busting down your door. My point is that other media outlets have been making these same claims for far longer, and apparently they have not been shot down outright by the courts as ridiculous claims. I see this falling right in line with those.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:56:58 pm »
In any case, they can't go on prosecuting practically every person whose bought a cd...
While I agree with cobra, but still their statement is rather silly.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:24:26 am »
Yet another fine case of how big business has forgotten who made it big. These are some sad times we live in where our purchasing power is dictated by the people which we purchase things from.  :?
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Sony-BMG Rep Calls All Customers Theives For Ripping Their Own CD's

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx