gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 26, 2024, 11:34:38 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  WinMX Compatible Clients  |  New Open-Source WinMX Client: WinPy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Open-Source WinMX Client: WinPy  (Read 19487 times)

Offline Akumajou

• Forum Member
New Open-Source WinMX Client: WinPy
« on: May 10, 2008, 04:23:07 am »
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winpy

I haven't tried WinPy yet, but it certainly seems worth checking out. Please post your impressions.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: New Open-Source WinMX Client: WinPy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:59:29 am »
Hi Akumamjou, I read your post on slycks and followed it up with my own  :)

We have in fact been testing both this client and an as yet unreleased version that String is working on, I think we can all agree this is interesting and welcome progress for the entire community.

Please take note folks this is a secondary alpha client which means its like the first draught of a book, there is room for improvement, String is still working on this Python Project and I,m sure there will be a few revisions yet but this is an excellent start  :)

Offline sIrMoOn

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:47:08 pm »
I wish WinPy's developers the best of luck in this endeavor = )

R/L being what it is for me right now, they may end up putting out something useful before I do... or not ; P

But either way I agree with Ghost that this can only be a good thing for everyone.

Offline kiaas

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:46:34 am »
Hmm, I seem to get an invalid project on sourceforge.
Kill 1 man and you are a murderer, kill 10 and you are a monster, kill a thousand and you are a hero, kill one million and you are a conqueror.

Offline FlapJack

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:56:39 pm »
The project is online, it just hasn't been updated since April 25, 2008.

Has development stopped for this alternate program?
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:56 am »
For the moment that is the case FlapJack, the two developers who where making all the headway had real-life commitments they had to take care of (being rather clever both are very busy chaps) and so we have been given the src to their Primary version of the program that was incomplete (Alpha) but functional.

This is not the first such disappointment however and I,m sure when a competent Python programmer appears the project will be back on the rails again and may perhaps reach a public release however I cant say when that will be and for this reason I am working on a project of my own that I hope will once more get us over the first couple of hurdles and stimulate more coder interest in client building.

Offline Bluehaze

• Forum Member
    • Realms Beyond
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:13:27 pm »
Ghostship,

Thanks for your comments posted here, and on other threads, about your client project you have been working on. It is interesting, as you mentioned, on another thread - that Lopster once supported WinMX before it went to the current WPN. But I hope this project you are working on now goes well! And maybe, as you suggest, the WinPy and MoonMX projects are not necessarily finished. Those coders are busy with priorities. I wish I were a coder.  :( I'll be cheering for you and anyone working on a new client for WinMX. Thanks for sticking with backwards compatibility too, even though that might make the project more difficult.

Open source gives these things a chance. Maybe you can find more help. No one should be ready to give up on WinMX.  Cheers! :)
"As one grows older, one becomes wiser and more foolish,"
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »
theres not much choice as far as backwards compatability goes. if it doesnt work with the old network (until everyone is on the new client) then its just a new network of its own.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:20:41 am »
theres not much choice as far as backwards compatability goes. if it doesnt work with the old network (until everyone is on the new client) then its just a new network of its own.

I really don't see a new client with new protocol functions coming out anytime soon. Adding on to what bacon said, if anything major were to change or be added, everyone would have to change. And if anything changed like browsing, and channel list wise, clients like robomx, metis, and all of those would have to be changed. (Which currently are not being developed) So it would really just be a pain.

But one day the network will have to be updated, and I'M sure everyone is looking forward to those days.
- Josh

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:29:21 am »
Most of the toys like robo etc are all secondary tools. An most of the upgrades that are really due are primary related, so that we could completely open source the whole client. So i would imagine for the sake of 90% of the tools out their it would be foolish to mess with the secondary part. As it stands at the moment the best way someone could create a new project is to first make a full secondary client and release it opensource as like a developer addition. Then make a complete secondary/primary client and close source that one. Then any wanting to add things can add what ever they want to the secondary client and if the main developer likes it can transfer it over to the main release till the primary protocol has its security improved.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline zig

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:47 am »
Hi guys, I've been lurking for some time and that's my first post.

To be totally honest there was another problem as well: some developpers were discouraged because of criticisms about alpha or beta versions (I was excited to see open source versions but also a little bit afraid because the development seemed to have stalled, so I had dropped a mail several months ago and I'm basically summarizing the answer). They heard stuff like "do not release test versions, that could harm the network, especially if script kiddies play with them". They were developping their application for fun and they mainly had to deal with criticism that wasn't always kind and obviously it didn't help.  Also for the devs test releases were the way open source software works (other networks managed to live well with such test versions)...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing this to start a flamewar or to play the dickhead (I have no programming skills so I couldn't even if I wanted to try): my point is that if there's not an open source WinMX clone and soon, the network will unfortunately fade away.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »
Unfortunately though who ever it was saying dont release tests versions is right about being careful about releasing certain parts. Primary can not in the state that it is in at the moment be released open source. I say this as the old client could be rendered useless within a few days once the media firms get a hold of it and see the holes they can take advantage off. Also morons could do the same thing. Primary release would be the death of winmx. Im not saying this a joke, its the truth. Any coder making a client and being given the protocal should be able to see the flaws straight away. They are fixable flaws but i also think its the reason why frontcode didnt just publish the sourcecode when they closed. As at the time the network still had a very healthy amount of rebellion users and to have given it to the wrong group about at the time could of spelled disaster for its longevity.

An no bad point taken. i wish i could tell you exactly whats wrong and show you. maybe one day i will be able to tell you what holes we just plugged in a new development. but at the moment thats not possible and it may be a little difficult for you to just have to trust that what we are protecting is all off you. An not because of some wanting to keep it all to ourselves.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

tmorg

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:06:02 pm »
Is there a Linux program that will access or resume my WinMX partial downloads?   :blindfold:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:36 am »
winmx can.
i may be wrong on this but i want to say moonmx has download feature, and of course winpy does as well
but if the later two programs run on linux idk. winpy SHOULD be able to run since its based off of python
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Will

• WMW Team
  • It wasn't me
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »
Okay, I know this is an old thread but I'm having a little trouble and looking for a little help if possible.

I was having trouble getting WinPy working on GNU/Linux(Ubuntu), I don't know python so I think the problem was with Tkinter.
I looked into it and it seemed "easier" to replace Tkinter with something else(wxPython), so I've got most of the GUI setup and the client connects to the network and gets the current list of channels.  Now my problem is that after connecting and retrieving the channels nothing else seems to work, I'm thinking it might be a problem with Queue but I'm unsure.

If anyone has any ideas I can provide the source code but it might be a little messy  :D

Offline Will

• WMW Team
  • It wasn't me
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:22 pm »
I was wrong. It doesn't get the current list of channels instead it's loading them from channels.db and if I try to refresh it doesn't bring a list up.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 01:35:25 pm »
I seem to have missed reading this topic  :(

I have sent Willmav5000 a PM asking that he contacts me so we can offer him some support and useful information.

Offline Will

• WMW Team
  • It wasn't me
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
Okay here is what's done so far http://rapidshare.com/files/381705932/WinPy-wxPython.zip.html. Yes it may be a little messy, but I'm not a programmer so it's fine :D
I am really stuck on this one and since my "dev skills" are not so good I have no clue what I need to do now :( so if anyone wants to help feel free.

Side note, rapid share will only allow the file to be download 10 times  :/

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 10:28:14 pm »
Would it be ok to add this file to the core development area Willmav as I can leave it there as an attachment and hopefully get you some help with it , can you explain your setup as regards development environment and prerequisites so I can get up to speed with what you have done, Cheers in advance   8)

booya

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 09:08:04 pm »
never gonna happen  guys dream world im afraid been waiting too long nlo longer believe in  a new winmx!!!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  WinMX Compatible Clients  |  New Open-Source WinMX Client: WinPy

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.015 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx