gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 04:10:41 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Modems/ Routers  |  Conexant Hardware Controller Dialup Modems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Conexant Hardware Controller Dialup Modems  (Read 6149 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Conexant Hardware Controller Dialup Modems
« on: January 10, 2009, 04:55:31 am »
Conexant was once known as Rockwell so both apply...

Agere and USRobotics are basically the last two major players left

Conexant modems are made by Zoom Telephonics and quite a few others.... (to find out what your modem uses you can use the 'identification' commands)

Init string trick for conexant that i have found works pretty well....

AT +PQC=3 +PIG=0  (turn off V.92 quick connect so it will reanalize your phone line every time and turn V.PCM upstream on if your ISP supports it)

i have yet to really find a 'magic bullet' init string trick for bad lines... but at least those two will keep things running...

...attached (hopefully) is the datasheet for conexant hardware controller modems....

PS 'hardware controller' means 'not a winmodem or softmodem' ... if you had to install drivers to get your modem to work then its most likely a winmodem or softmodem.... trying to tweak these atrocities on bad lines is a waste of time....

PPS you will need to find how to edit the init string for the modem yourself.... since linux users have various configs and i havent used a modem with windows since windows 95.... (im not one to trust windows to wander around the internet on its own)

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
Re: Conexant Hardware Controller Dialup Modems
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:41:23 am »
wow that is an interesting read thanks silver
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:31:16 am »
Explain to me please what the PCM upstream is and is it possable that these commands can work for a winmodem because I know that tig knows I usually have a hell of a time connecting and getting online and I have a connexant modem.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:04:51 pm »
So far I have  only found 1 effective string for my modem that connects me first time every time and man does it blow chunks.   AT+MS=V34, 0
I need a better one.  :sick:
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:29 am »
AT+MS=V34 is falling back to the old 33.6k full analog days... (i dont think the ,0 is needed but i may be wrong)

if you are using a winmodem first and foremost check for driver updates....

PCM upstream was added in the V.92 standard (if your modem does not support V.92 then it doesnt apply) it uses PCM (digital) instead of analog (33.6 and older) for the upload as well instead of just using PCM for download as V.90 does... you can get theoretical speeds of up to 48000bps upload with PCM upstream instead of the usuall 33.2 max... tho note the word theoretical... they said 56k modems have a theoretical max of 56000bps down ;)

nooky -- do you have call waiting on your line? make sure to disable it when connecting..
and use the +PQC=3 if your modem is V.92... and since you are using a winmodem try to keep your CPU usage down as low as you can.... something as simple as playing an mp3 can cause a winmodem to 'hiccup' and drop a connection (no im not kidding... and it doesnt matter how fast your cpu is...)....

tricks for nasty phone lines; (this applies to anyone on dialup)

unplug answering machines and cordless phones.... in total do not have more than 5 devices connected to the phone line(including the modem)... if possible unplug everything but the modem to get better connects...

'call yourself' .... got a cell phone? disconnect from the web and call your house phone with your cell phone (or a neighbors phone if you do not have a cell) and do -not- answer it.... let it ring around 9 to 12 times.... every 'ring' sends a 20Hz 90+volt pulse of AC current surging through the line (this was to make the physical bell in old phones ring... its not really needed anymore but ppl do still have phones with real bells in them) this will help with corrosion and/or wet lines.....

do you have your modem connected to the phone line through a -really- long (longer than 25ft) cord? see if you can re-arrange things so that - that length of cord isnt needed... 25ft is ok... but its the max...

have your modem connected through a phone line surge supressor? when was the last time that surge supressor was replaced? if its been over 3 years get a new one...

--below this point it gets techical... for the timid; if the above doesnt work call the phone company and have them run tests on your line...

is the wiring in your house noisy or humming or just screwed up? go to the box (called a demarcation point usually has a bell logo or other phone related markings on it) on the side of your house and open the 'customer' side... (dont open the phone companies side... you could get yourself in some deep shit doing that) and see if there is corrosion (is the copper - copper colored or is it blue?) or have bugs decided to make nests in there? are things screwed down tight? (note: not too tight) ... there will be a standard phone jack in this box that your whole house is basically plugged into... plugs cord is short and ends in bare wires that are attached to screw terminals that your house wiring is attached to... unplug your 'house' and plug a standard phone into this jack.... is the sound on the phone connected directly clearer than if it is in your house?... if possible try connecting your modem to this connector and connecting to the web (this may prove a bit troublesome or completely impossible due to the very awkward locations these boxes usually are placed).... if its the wiring in your house youve got an expensive problem to fix.... the phone company only pays to fix stuff thats wrong with what they own... tho the good techs will usually give some pretty good advice.... if you get a good tech that is.... (theres a cheaper workaround for this but it involves buying phone or better yet cat5 cable suitable for outdoor use --- if someone finds that bad lines in their house are to blame then post that it is and i will give a hopefully short tutorial on the workaround.... but be warned its not easy... and its only for those who -own- their house not renting or living in an apartment)

EMF/RFI? call a friend from your house phone (the line the modem uses) and ask that friend to be quiet for a few moments and both of you listen very close.... do you hear any music? such as from a local AM radio station? if so you will need to get an EMF/RFI choke for your line.... these things are a bit hard to find but they are basically black ceramic rings with iron particles in the ceramic that you loop your phoneline through and around about 6 times to filter out the radio.... sometimes you can get a phoneline specific choke premade (a device you plug into the wall then plug the modem on the other side of) from places like radioshack --- this a rather drastic approach and the results may not be what you expect....

unbalanced lines? ok... now we are getting even -more- technical.... phone lines should be 'balanced' perfectly... using a multimeter (and making damn sure noone calls you cos that 90volts hurts... badly) connect the common lead to ground (the screw in the middle of an electrical wall outlet is ground) and using the other lead check the voltages of the usually red and green phone lines... each should have the same voltage (one will be a negative voltage but it should be negative to the same amount).... if they arent pretty damn close then you have an unbalanced line and need to call the phone company to have it fixed......... note: this is dangerous... so if you dont feel up to this or dont have the needed technical skills or equipment then just call the phone company.... but after you have tried the above techniques...

--be carefull when messing around with bare phone lines... if you hurt (or even kill(!!)) yourself, break something, or otherwise cause any damage, i am not to be held liable... you do these things at your own risk... thank you--

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:22:03 am »
shameless plug?

i may be a bit biased considering ive had it since 2003 and its been online nearly 24/7 (basically as much as you can keep a dialup modem connected)... and it survived a lightning strike that nearly blew up the water heater, messed up two TVs (the strong magnetic feild made rainbow patterns on the screens), and blew out a supposedly great (and way overpriced) USR modem attached to the same phone line (i dunno what the hype is with USR)....

http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_external_serial#hayes

uses RS232 so a usb to serial adaptor will be needed for those without serial ports on their mobos...

and yes i realise its not made by hayes (the company that invented the 'AT' command set) but by zoom telephonics and the modem at the very top of the page is basically the same exact modem in a different case (pick the look you like i guess)

anyway... the accura and the '3049' are both v.92 and built like tanks (avoid the 'global village' modem... unless you own a retro macintosh with the mini-din serial port... also avoid the V.90 only modems... they are obsolete as far as dialup goes...)

the price may be a bit steap compared to a winmodem (about 68$ for either the accura or 3049 is as cheap as it gets... dunno about in the UK... but prices are listed...) but they will outlast the computer they are attached to ;)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:22 am »
Well, I got to thinking other night. Without the string at all my modem usually connects at about 48k/s. Sometimes faster but as a rule it's 48k/s. So I thought about it and I thought maybe that's the max it'll do easily. None of the V90 ones were working so I tried (+MS=V90,0,19200,33600,28000,48000)which I found on http://www.kwom.com/HowTos/init_hcf.html with the help of google and something someone in the room said about s-register values and hayes, or hayne compatible modem init strings. Anyway to sum it up, that string I posted there has me connecting first time every time again. Thanks for bringing this up Stripes. If you hadn't I would've never thought about init strings to fix my problem. And some know, I been having this problems for several months now with poor connectivity. If nothing else at least it fixed my issue.

PS I tried going higher than 48000 value and it wouldn't go.
Thnx again Stripes :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Modems/ Routers  |  Conexant Hardware Controller Dialup Modems

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx