gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 04:20:49 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  would like to see
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: would like to see  (Read 6194 times)

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
would like to see
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:56 pm »
I cannot write code myself   but i would like to see a new chat server  with the same kind of GUI  as FX server    and also a new version of mx monitor or somthing simular, maybe there is someone out there with the talent to do this ?

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: would like to see
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
why didnt you put this in the program ideas thread?
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »
What I find incomprehensible really is that roboServe is very similar in GUI look and yet no one has bothered to develop it further despite it being open src, I suspect the real reason we wont see such a program built is purely because the severe lack of coders means no one has the time to create something from scratch on their own and using existing open src means they may lose directional control of the work, though I doubt this will happen.
If anyone really wanted to get building their is plenty of example src code available for chat servers.

To create something similar to MXMoni or LeechHammer requires information on the file management system, we do have quite a lot of this type of info available here for serious developers but in general I have yet to come across any coder interested in such a project.

I for one would also would like to know what any new program would be expected to deliver that the current ones do not as I don't use such items I have no idea what is or is not available from such things.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:26:05 am »
MXmoni needs to die a very painfull death....

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:46:46 am »
I personaly find mx moni a great tool as it helps start members and friends of my room as soon as they join my queue

And sorry Mr Bacon i guess i was being lazy starting a new thread my apologies :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:14 pm »
as it helps start members and friends of my room as soon as they join my queue

...leaving others to just 'flounder' in the queue....

one of many reasons i say it needs to die...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »
i have to agree with stripes. i dont want to park in say the tabboo/incest room just so i can download the new static-x album
and alot of people dont have the pm in que thing turned on so you just end up sitting there in the que.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:57:13 pm »
One of the reasons for having a room is to be able to share to your friends and chat with them at the same time, sadly one cannot be around their pc all the time so thats where mx moni comes in, if set to start friends who enter your queue while your not around that is not to say other people in queue will never get a start as if there is no friends in queue then the next person in queue will be started regardless  of how mx moni is set. Also i do not have many friends so personaly people do ok in my queue !

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 05:56:56 pm »
why should freinds get priority over anyone else on the network.
its Peer to Peer not Person to a selected group of freinds who are "more deserving" then anyone else on the network. if you set your maximum uploads and throttle to ensure no one gets a horrid speed (below 2kb) and that your network isnt overloaded (20 uploads is a bit much for the somewhat common 8mb routers and a strain for the more common 4 and 2mb economy routers) then your que and everything else works fine and if the person wants the file they can wait in line until an open slot is available at wich time both your winmxs proceed to download the file instead of making the person wait in the que an indefinate amount of time until you meet their "requirements/standards" or the person sees you as worthy of obtaining their file.

i see moni and leech hammer as selfish tools to advertise,hoard, and defeat the purpose of public filesharing networks. if you want to share to a specialized group of people then use ftp.

As for filesharing and chat being related.
there are several (most of us have run into them) chat rooms that kick you for not having X amount of files being shared the purpose of chatrooms is to chat.

This is my personal opinion and is most likely not the opinion or veiws of winmxworld or its members. I wrote this post with the intentions of bringing to you a different view on what these tools do and i respect the views of the people who use them and for there reasons. bringing users to a room keeps it alive. how you do that is up to you whether I or anyone else agrees with it, and no one can stop you from using these tools to do it until they pose a threat to the integrity or the security of the network.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 06:09:26 pm »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Mr Bacon :)  but the chat rooms on winmx are the backbone without them there would be no winmx in my opinion, yes chat rooms are for chat but also for sharing to people within them who have the same kind of interest etc other people are encouraged to many rooms to get help with their downloads it is their choice if they do or not. yes we could all go and use ftp and close our rooms but would anyone want to see this I see your point of view of people having to wait in queues while friends get priority but rooms need to offer priority to users of their rooms otherwise people would stop using the rooms  many have already closed due to lack of users in them. Also rooms (well ine anyway) offer help and support to newcomers and even long term users of winmx we are not all take we give allot back and allot of time to winmx. I ask for respect for the rooms on winmx and how we go about our business and i still find mx moni a good tool  lol

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:20:52 pm »
Oh dear extremism  :/

I hate to break this to those who get riled that not everyone acts as they wish but peer to peer means we choose to share and also we can choose who we share with, its not my personal way of thinking but I don't think dividing the community into types and groups helps anyone but the RIAA/MPAA, if someone shares something that's something they made a choice with, its not up to anyone to add rules to another's choice, we can accept their choice or not, but we cannot bully or force their decisions.

I prefer the friendly personal approach and this has been seen to work over the years, to prove my point simply place yourself in this scenario:

A user PM's you with abuse regarding your shared slots or speeds, of course what you know is that its all ISP related and the speed will pick up later but why should you wish to continue to share with this rude user ??...

If we all go down this road the RIAA have won, we would be too busy being selfish to ask ourselves what problems could the other party have that could be the cause and is there some help or advice we could give them to fix the problem ?

Many thousands of slow or difficult transfers have been resolved with simple help or patience, this is what we (the winmx community) are famous for, not impatience, greed or petty division.

Can I suggest we return this thread to its correct topic, if any of you feel so strongly about matters that you are willing to alienate folks you should seriously ask yourself if what you propose is indeed as helpful as you think it is.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:44 pm »
Wise words there Ghost but iam curious who your points are aimed at, if iam a extremist winmxer   then i hope its me :P

but as for my orignal post at the start i think i could be waiting a long time of ever for any of the items i would of liked to have seen feeling the replies to this thread

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 06:43:39 pm »
Someone had a desire to write both MXM and Leech Hammer.
I don't see it unreasonable to beleive that no one else in the world would
not have a similar reason or the desire to write such a tool if the current ones did not satisfy them.

and also a new version of mx monitor or somthing simular
for it to be a new version something has to be changed or added.
maybe you could get a better response if you shared what you would like to see changed about MXM or what features you would like the replacement program to have.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »
My words were most ceratinly not directed at yourself Birdman, whilst you do use mxmoni and some would declare they dont like that, your a genuine winmx user who shares with others, how you share is up to you in my book and I would rather we all worked to deal with problems or issues as a community rather than create "us and them" divisions that help no one.

United we stand folks, lets go forward with our combined knowledge and the empowerment and  opportunities that brings us, to go down any other road is to deliver ourselves to our enemies unarmed and defenceless.

Now as I asked above and Bacon is reminding you, just what is it you want to see in a new mxmoni that is not in the older versions ?

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
Well ..... first yes united we stand always :)
I would like to see a new mx monitor or something simular that does not make the screen go haywire while it does a whois ( yes i know you can untick the whois to stop this) on users joing the queue, did not freeze when clearing the ignore list, could use all the differnt symbols availible in all usernames on winmx , some of  asci symbols will not take properly, maybe have the ability to know what users are in the same rooms as yourself and have an option to auto start them if they entered your queue, Maybe have an option to send a user a message upon them entering your queue, have an assured future :)
As for fx server  i love it !!  its so damn simple and user friendly the gui i mean, ive tried all all other servers but they dont have the gui which i desire

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 07:11:07 pm »
until then winmx is capable of performing whois.
and i dont know where the list is stored... but if its a text file you can edit that and remove them manually.
As for adding a pretty user freindly configuration GUI.
suck up to a couple of coders and get some other people to do the same and im sure one of them can write a simple program to edit the configuration files for the other servers with the pretty GUI you desire.

on a personal note,
ill even admit configuration files can become boring to the eyes and that constantly changes the validity of a GUIs necessity in my opinion.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:57:15 pm »
Mosts widows users are never happy without a GUI  8)

Perhaps a stripped down roboServe really is the best idea if folks want to get a open src/windows GUI  based server as I,m aware many folks wont even look the src over due to the skin addition code that makes cleaning it up a fair old job. but the core of the beast is likely simple to work with if standard windows dialogues and controls where added where neccessary.

Some of the items you mention for addition to mxmoni would be simple and some a tad harder but all are of course possible, what would be more productive is for someone of a design orientated mind to work on theorising an improvement to the filesharing system and perhaps produce a flowchart of suggested operation and improvements, after all it seems to me if we are going to be forced to reinvent the wheel very soon we are may as well look at what improvements in file transfer technology are at hand to replace or supplement our vintage design.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:02 pm »
XOR algorithm packet encryption?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 10:30:46 pm »
That looks more like a few words that mean nothing when not used to describe where and when the developer would be able to put them to use, I did say "design" not post meaningless-to-most offerings..lol

I like doers Bacon not talkers  ;)

If you have, or have heard of a more secure design you think may be useful then draw the beast up and we can all discuss its merits and security ...or lack of it. .

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »
i can do that =) [though i still dont know how this could be used unless it has some sort of legacy mode for winmx]

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  would like to see

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx