gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 02:14:36 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  Installation Guide for windows 7 and Vista
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Installation Guide for windows 7 and Vista  (Read 23512 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Installation Guide for windows 7 and Vista
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:54:59 pm »
-installing stage-

The installer is self guided but we need to make a few changes noted below.

Note one:
Sometimes the installer has the default language as Estonian.  Change it to english or what ever you need.

Note two:
You may notice when it asks where to install that there is an (x86) after the /Program Files as seen here

This is normal it just means you are running a 64bit version of windows and there is nothing to worry about. Just remember not to take it away as it can cause some nasty registry issues.

Note three:
The defualt directories do not work in windows 7 or vista due to changes in both the permission system and the layout of the \user\documents tree.
When the installer asks what directory you would like downloads saved in as seen here

You will notice that it says "my Music" but in 7 and vista it has been renamed to "Music"
Now click the change button that was circled in red and you will see a screen similar to the following

Windows 7

windows Vista

click the triangle next to your username to expand its folders and choose the one you wish to use.
In vista the folder is labeled "Music" but in 7 in the prompt it says "My Music"
But if you notice in the following screenshot after you select "My Music" the directory in the
path entry feild just says "music" like on vista, confusing isnt it? but not to worry.

Thats all there is to it.
Continue through the installer and your done.

**post modified by me, nooks at Forested's request**

[update 30-04-2020 by GhostShip to fix some of the missing images - anyone help with the others I dont have ?]
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
Re: Installation Guide for windows 7 and Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:19 am »
There is an error in this guide for who ever wishes to correct it.
The words windows 7 above the 6th image needs to be placed below what is currently the 7th images.
and the 6th image with the words windows vista below it needs to also be moved below what is currently the 7th image.
Thank you.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
Thanks for fixing that nooks =)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »
Welcome and topic stickied as I think it will be a big help in the near and distant future.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

mjaay

Re: Installation Guide for windows 7
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:24:01 am »
I did this and still cant connect ,,,can you help me more please

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:28:32 am »
Where exactly in the process are you hitting a problem Mjaay ?

Can you confirm your the machines administrator and also let us know what type of anti virus solution are you running if any as some have from time to time been known to turn nasty.

dextr

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:52 pm »
winmx 4.8.6 works with windows 7

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:45:04 pm »
winmx has never gone past 3.54 dextr unless your on about the winmx turbo booster which is only an add on

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
I suggest you make this your next stop Dextr and get a genuine WinMX.

https://patch.winmxconex.com/

lightningma

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:59:51 am »
Aloha all n well I've just used your tutorial on how to install with windows 7, n well I connect ok whether peeps can get files from me remains to be seen or I for that matter, but thats not my issue @ the moment what I want to know is I've followed your directions on the directory part n yes mine now says "C:\\users\myusername/Music" but from within the program I would like to "load incomplete" files it does not????? n I would like to "Open Incoming File Folder" n it gives me a access denied error message: "C:\\Users\myusername\Documents\My Music" is not accessible. Access is Denied So now how is this fixed I would hate to have to stop using WinMx. I have Windows 7 64-bit Mahalo for the response back ;-) hope I've provided adequate info to help n if this has been answered already plz point me in that direction ;-) email: jetsno_soul@yahoo.com or jetsno@gmail.com

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:46 am »
I don't use win7 but can you try another strategy for me please Lightningma, instead of throwing all your content in the documents file-path use a new directory you create on the root of the drive like so

1 Make new directory from my computer in c drive by right-clicking on the drive and selecting new folder from the menu, call it "MxDownloads" (or whatever you fancy) so mx sees this in its incoming shared files location .

2 Now go to Settings button in WinMX and look on the right for "File Transfers" then then click on that in the tree and look across to the top right of the box and press "change" to point it to the new location (C:\MxDownloads).

3 Hopefully all working ?

I hope I haven't insulted you by going through the steps as I have its just other readers will read this and may not be as clued up as yourself  :)

PS: If this doesn't work you may need to look again at your administrator settings.

lightningma

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 10:09:23 am »
Mahalo Ghostship it worked thanks what a blessing you are ;-) n no I'm not insulted @ all I'd probably do the same thing lol again thank you thank you very much. Just had to create new folder on c:\\ drive n working now n I'm the administrator for my pc ;-) hugs&kisses to ya now I can get back to my happy downloading lol ;-)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:59:40 am »
Your very welcome  Lightningma :-D

tutanhaken

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 06:21:13 pm »
great  advise... and when you see that nearly 5000 have looked at this post...one question   WHERE THE HELL IS THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD THIS PROGRAM.....? you guys rabbit on and on and on   but always fail to think that people with very ,little knowledge ,are here trying to find an answer to their problem ....

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »
Look at the very top of the forum and the top left we have a link to the community patch that you will need, you can get winmx there also  :-D

You can click on here and reach the same place.

https://patch.winmxconex.com/

david pilant

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 12:11:15 am »
how do you set the tcp, udp settings for winmx in windows 7? i ve looked util i m crazy and cant find  them. i can connect and people start to dl and time out.  amd fx8, with windows 7 , att univere and a dlink gamemaster router. everything worked fine until i switched from comcast to att, internet on comcast went to hell,  then the old computer, xp,  died.  so now im on att with a new computer system and a new provider, double the fun, snark. any help would be appreciated.  ive been on winmx since 2.65(?) and really miss it

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 01:23:29 am »
the tcp and udp settings are in the winmx settings menu.

The port forwarding you may need to set up will be in the settings on your router.
I've always found the portforward.com to be a massive help
http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/WinMX/WinMXindex.htm

Sam

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:45:34 pm »
thanks for all the help people...
I am running WinMx on windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) and I am having a couple of problems:
1. aborting connections, much more on the upload side than the download and also very tidy upload queue! most times I have a few, if any!
2. I tried installing WinMx Monitor and I was not able to get Monitor to start WinMX

please help me or point me to the direction where I can get help

my ports are mapped and I run a Primary connection and have hardly any problems downloading

thanks

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 10:04:29 pm »
Hi Sam  :)

I just looked at who your ISP is and from what you have described I would suggest the problem is they are deliberately disrupting your uploads, there is little you can do about it if that is the case as Winmx currently still has its transfers in a non encrypted format and using deep packet inspection its trivial for an ISP to block either your uploads. downloads or both, you can try using non standard p2p ports such as 80, 80, 443, 25 etc as sometimes those ones are unimpeded.

With the issue of WinMX monitor can I ask you to walk through this guide and post again if there is no change

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/mxmoni.html

There can be other problems but those answers are my best guess atm  :)

Sam

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:33 pm »
GhostShip, thank you so much for the swift reply

changin the P2P port means that I need to rerun the setup, doesn't it?

in regards to WinMx Monitor, the link you provided is where I downloaded the software from and I followed the steps but still the Monitor does not load WinMx up

cheers

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  Installation Guide for windows 7 and Vista

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx