gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 01:50:23 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Winmx 5.0.0 Is Fake
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Winmx 5.0.0 Is Fake  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Winmx 5.0.0 Is Fake
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:51:40 am »
I stumbled upon this site during an image search and i thought it worth while to report.
This site: http://  winmx .smartcode .com/ info.html
and other are proclaiming to have a winmx version 5.0.0 for download.
It does not cost you any money but it IS NOT winmx.
The file you get from the site is labeled winmx.exe and it opens an installer that asks you to accept the terms of the GNU GPL which both the real winmx and this fake one violate. After that it proceeds to install a remasked version of a program called filevoom.
It is a Gnutella client such as limewire that offers 0 protection and is a big hole for worms and viruses.
I would like to emphasize this program has no relation to winmx and should NOT BE USED.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
Re: Winmx 5.0.0 Is Fake
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:46:19 am »
And as we don't want people to use it and do N OT want to get associated with it in any way I have disabled the link.
Please do not post links to sites we don't want to get associated with, the web crawlers will pick them up otherwise...
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Winmx 5.0.0 Is Fake
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:24:52 pm »
I cant say this is news to me, many rip off companies have been doing this for years and as we all know the Cartel have been over the last five years trying to take over every network and client out there, especially the gnutella network because their front companies like "discordia" use that network with many of the old client names obtained after suing the real company to death or stealing websites with legal trickery.

Rest assured you can obtain winmx 2005, winmx2006, winmx2007 etc etc and others called winmx classic, winmx gold,  I think you get the picture that they are all either scam sites or fake clients that use another network, if folks are mislead into trying such networks please be aware that out of the folks threatened with a law suit over the last few years many where using the gnutella netork and the majority of the others used kazzaa as both are pretty poor in the security stakes and leave you wide open on all fronts.

Bottom Line   

If it doesn't say "frontcode technologies " on the file and has a number higher than 3.54b4 then remove it, and check your machine for spyware,

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Winmx 5.0.0 Is Fake

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx