gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 12:15:09 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Kevin is back?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kevin is back?  (Read 10818 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Kevin is back?
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:22:27 am »
Hollow pointed out to me that there has finally been activity on winmx.com
if you check the mainbar link it actually has something there for the first time since the shut down.

https://www.winmx.com/v354b4/mainbar/index.html

its an add for a torrent client that looks almost identical to winmx's transfer window

any thoughts on this?
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Kevin is back?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:07:00 am »
It looks like a safe way ahead if it is him, none of those using the community patch will see this advertisement but it will appear on the following links

https://www.winmx.com/v354b4/mainbar/index.html

https://www.winmx.com/v353/mainbar/index.html

https://www.winmx.com/v331/mainbar/index.html

It does not appear for anyone on a 3.52 version beta or anything prior to 3.31, its been four years since we have seen any serous activity from this site so this is either a clever marketing plan or the domain owner is still the same person and as many of the windows on the tix site look the same as mx windows there is a good possibility this is him.
Further analysis will no doubt unearth the truth of the matter.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:13:52 am »
there is a comment box for the developers on the site.
You could simply ask for kevins email maybe?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:23:32 am »
The licence for this software contains this information

This license shall be governed by and construed under the laws of the province of Ontario, Canada without reference to its conflict of law principles. In the event of any conflicts between foreign law, rules, and regulations, and Canadian law, rules, and regulations, Canadian law, rules and regulations shall prevail and govern.

Its looking good so far, Why would I want his email Forester btw ?

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 02:26:12 am »
I figured you would be itching to find out information on missing bits if you have any about mx or the network that he might remember or the source code

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:08:12 am »
I know this really doesn't matter, but I did a whois on the domain, and it comes up with the same information as when I do a whois on winmx.com. I know that it doesnt matter, but I felt like saying it.

I also took it upon myself to download it. The installer seems really similar to the installer of WinMX. There are also a few similarities in the program itself. Particularly the Transfers button is the same on WinMX and this program, and the bandwidth button is very similar.

This program is scaring me a little in the similarities.

Edited a couple times as I found new things.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:03 am »
I think its likely he is under some sort of court order or agreement with regards to WinMx and so I,m not going to ask him to put his liberty on the line, I believe we have enough information to create a clone client and thats still the plan I,m following.

I,m confident enough after looking at this program to state it is on balnce of probabilities kevins handywork as it uses the MFC/ATL construction method and in general from the sreenshots some of the windows look very very familiar, although one change is in the file packing system used, winmx was always packed in pklite but this new program is packed with upx, aside from that it all looks the same in many areas.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:07:04 pm »
Pretty interesting. Looks like (if it is him) that he would like some of his old WinMX users to try out this new Bittorrent client.

I just wish he'd come back to WinMX and start up development again!

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 05:04:18 pm »
Wouldnt we all.

This client is a bit intensive but i will be trying it soon.

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47:42 pm »
chances of him restarting where he left off is very slim, if he did i doubt it would last very long specially with the Riaa and Mpaa

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:26:06 pm »
well since on winmx.com it says "The WinMX software is no longer available.", i ld say slim is even an overstatement

maybe he wants his mainbar back??? *kidding*

edit: typo removal
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »
googling 'moniker privacy services' however does not lead one to think 'good' thoughts...

traceroute gets 'stuck' at what seems to be a tor proxy in canada...

the three black bars (https://www.winmx.com/img/img001.png) in the middle of winmx.com itself are a bit puzzling as well...

I just wish he'd come back to WinMX and start up development again!

Wouldnt we all.

well.... winmx had to evolve one day folks...
and before the flames get launced my way a bittorrent client is.... from kevens standing (esp the legal one)... a good way to go... open protocol with no 'cache servers' to maintain on ones own (thats for the trackers) and competition with other clients... (if kevens is liter and has no ties to bittorrent.com then... hmm... there may be quite a few torrent lovers out there that start using it)

...winmx was always packed in pklite...
hmm... theres an interesting tidbit of info...

Domain Name: WINMX.COM
Registrar: MONIKER

Registrant [370365]:
        Moniker Privacy Services WINMX.COM@domainservice.com
        Moniker Privacy Services
        20 SW 27th Ave.
        Suite 201
        Pompano Beach
        FL
        US

Administrative Contact [370365]:
        Moniker Privacy Services
        20 SW 27th Ave.
        Suite 201
        Pompano Beach
        FL
        US
        Phone: +1.9549842867
        Fax:   +1.9549699155

Billing Contact [370365]:
        Moniker Privacy Services
        20 SW 27th Ave.
        Suite 201
        Pompano Beach
        FL
        US

Technical Contact [370365]:
        Moniker Privacy Services
        20 SW 27th Ave.
        Suite 201
        Pompano Beach
        FL
        US

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.WINMX.COM         76.10.128.218
        NS2.WINMX.COM         76.10.128.218

Record created on:        2000-10-08 08:44:09.0
        Database last updated on: 2009-07-29 05:40:39.02
        Domain Expires on:        2009-10-08 08:44:09.0

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 10:36:15 pm »
more; both winmx.com and tixati.com are registered with moniker (moniker is a masking service so it blocks any usefull info that might be gained through whois... listed emails and phone numbers go to moniker... not the domain holder...).... traceroute for tixati gets stuck at a vpn service in the US (damn near in canada tho)... neither server is using the same software (tho that doesnt mean anything)

side note; tixatis recommended environment is a -lot- more demanding than utorrent... ftl on that one  -.- .... least its cross platform (too little too late but hey...)....

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 09:36:26 am »
Before we rave too much more can I ask (since I just noticed this thread) has anyone checked to see how protected you are with it? *It being this client. :D
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:05 am »
I dont see what all the fuss is about, its not like there is a shortage of good torrent clients, and its not like he is announcing WinMX 4. A torrent client that looks a little like MX, so what?
Perhaps i am missing the point?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 01:03:42 pm »
Perhaps i am missing the point?

excitement to see keven doing something again? dunno exactly either...

i still dont have mx installed anyway >.> (anyone have a status update cos last time the WPN was seriously barren...... and a severely hostile environment for dialup users....)

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »
Interesting.

That's really the only word that I care to use right now concerning this... this... whatever.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:48 am »
I don't believe the torrent client itself is what's of interest here. It's the posability of the return of the creator of WinMX itself. Although it seems obvious to me with the creation of this torrent client, if it is Kevin, he obviously didn't want to build a "WinMX 4". I personally think Quicks has the right idea with moving foward on building a new client to further the future of the WinMX community. If it is him I would hope he would see it fit to eventually help make this a reallity. I think it's possable he had no idea that when he built WinMX he was actually building more than just a p2p client. If you think about it he took several peices of the world and brought it all together in one place where we all could meet and get to know each other.

Now I will say that with this torrent client and any torrent client is use extreme caution and pejudice when using them. Myself I wouldn't use one unless I know for sure I'm using the very best method to protect myslef from the RIAA. I use pg2 with only the winmx blocklist to try and help do this. I say this not to cause worry but merely to inform people that as far as I know, no torrent client has any sort of fake file filtering or a blocking mechanism to ensure that some IP harvester for the RIAA can't connect to you making them somewhat risky to use.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 02:10:23 pm »
no torrent client has any sort of fake file filtering or a blocking mechanism to ensure that some IP harvester for the RIAA can't connect to you

actually.... azureus can do that.... (no im not advertising... just stating a fact)

I use pg2 with only the winmx blocklist

bad idea.... bittorrent isnt winmx... good idea? use both the nexus blocklist and the winmx one... tho the winmx list will rarely see any 'action' with the nexus one... it coveres what the wmw list does and more...

also a bad idea; torrent and mx at the same time.... shut off the mx then torrent.... when done torrenting shut off the torrent client then wait a wee bit for the connections to close (bt and utorrent call it 'gracefull shutdown'... its to tell everyone in the swarm 'im stopping' so you dont get or at least reduce ghost packets) then turn off pg2 before starting the mx......

now for some 'practical' thoughts on keven..... ....i really doubt hes going to make a winmx 4... probably is laughing at the thought that winmx is still being used..... (besides... why advertise in his own apps update bar for a bittorrent app instead of a new winmx? 1 by itself the app is dead... 2 it points ppl who download the unpatched version (for instance a download from oldversion.com) away from scam sites and to a legit app...)

oh and;
making them somewhat risky to use.
ips are in the cache server if they just want to file suit at random ppl (and laser printers) and why is it primarys get ddosed when a chat list request is issued?...... dont delude yourself or anyone else.... all p2p has risks regardless of protocol or program... its up to the end user to weigh things out to find the lesser of the evils....

btw, its eagles patch.. not winmx.. thats preventing the connections and blocking fakes.... (eagles patch makes winmx itself 'seem' safer when standing on its own... its not...)

a 3rd party client with eagles patch functionality built in? now were getting somewhere.... just need to encrypt those naked http file transfers and strengthen the hashing system so it doesnt mess up with files larger than about 100mb..... also need to redo the chat system 'list request' .... the current method has a mediadefender wrench in the works.... (in other words... winmx needs a -lot- of work... i dont blame keven for not wanting to make winmx 4)

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 06:41:30 pm »
I would have loved to see Winmx V4 but some things do not go how we want them to. Personally I will believe Kevin is back when development of Winmx continues untill then i'll wait lol.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Kevin is back?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx