gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:07:44 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Is winmx dying ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is winmx dying ?  (Read 15316 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Is winmx dying ?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 10:07:22 pm »
So we are talking large visual files that are the ones with the longer ques then. Thats possibly why I never see them as I dont really bother with anything large its just apps and audio material thats the target of my forays into the global library that is WinMX, someone recently said they had lost a lot of their files and automatically I replied that they should grab them back from those they had shared them with, this is a more common occurance than many folks think, sharing your material safeguards it against local disaster and thats the way it should be  :yes:

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:32 pm »
Backing them up also helps  :yes:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 01:30:47 am »
You would be amazed how many folks dont even take that simple step Hell, if I had a dollar for evreyone who came to me begging for help after losing some rare family photos on an ailing drive my other name would be gates  :lol:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 02:01:22 am »
winmx was (is?) always good for that 'car commercial' or other 'that was catchy' tune but.... in the age of set-top HD capable supercomputers (ps3 mythTV and to a somewhat lesser extent xbox360)..... well... those queues are a serious pain....

as for 'reeducating' the populous on 'generous filesharing 101' ..... i  doubt such a thing will ever happen with MxM and the various hacks around...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 02:56:59 am »
I think your making an extreme and exaggerated comparison, I dont know anyone who who downloads HD content, its surely far simpler and convenient to use a smaller format.

So the rule of thumb here then is that if your after content thats mega-sized then your stuck with using a mega expensive infrastructural method, if you prefer smaller size files and have a little patience then you have never to worry about costs (donations, pretend fines etc) and gain improved security, seems like a case of some users outgrowing WinMx but liking the community feel and knowledgable userbase thats not often a key element found in torrenting circles.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 05:22:17 am »
Y'know, if I wanna download a movie, or a song, I does me search, I pick a candidate in the list that has slots open, I start the d/l...

If it runs, it runs, if theys using a hack that I didnt pick, well, WinMX has this wonderful feature called Autofind, and some other source may kick in...

I even get ppl on there that claim to have 688 or 1027 in their q...  So Whucking Fatt?? Soon it starts, I gets me file, I dont get in a tizz over the ones with big q's or that dont share, I just cancel 'em n clear 'em...

I can even go away n have a bath or cook dinner, go to work, go to bed, whatever...   come back to keyboard, somethin's happennin'...

Before ya know it, the file's complete, and I go on me merry way...

I Luvs me WinMX, it works, it works well, sometimes even a file will find enuf sources to multi in here at over 100k...  thats nice too

So whats buggin you guys that ya think ya gotta have the file before ya even start downloadin it?

No ads on WinMX either...

Perhaps some severe navel contemplation is needed by some folk, take the time to smell the roses fellas, whats the rush?

If we hafta have a new client for MX, it should be feature richer, but keep the same network structure, keep the same safe and secure transfers system, all thats needed is to update in a way that all the hacks, patches, and anti-sharing tools become defunct, make it somehow leech-proof...

In Chat, mebbe some voice support, or webcam support might be nice, even a direct file transfer between chatters, small files, that could be nifty, like ya can do in Yahoo et al... shortcut keys too, so things like /opmsg are as easy as they are in some clients...

Ohh, yeahhhhh, and one other thing...  STABILITY! and the ability to share files over 2 gig...

Is that constructive enuf, GS?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline FM Refugee

• Forum Member
  • Old radio and music geek...
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 06:57:46 am »
...oh, dear...please forgive my ignorance, but what is this '0-for-0 hack' that I keep hearing mentioned?... :help:
'...Imagine trying to explain to a customer how you used a Colpittsilator to test the Bardeenabrattainistorized a. f. section of his Marconio, only to find it wouldn't respond to frequencies below two hundred hertz...' --Letter to the editors, Popular Electronics magazine, August 1966

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 07:15:28 am »
So whats buggin you guys that ya think ya gotta have the file before ya even start downloadin it?

Kinda answered your own question again there bud

I can even go away n have a bath or cook dinner, go to work, go to bed, whatever...   come back to keyboard, somethin's happennin'...
Before ya know it, the file's complete, and I go on me merry way...
I Luvs me WinMX, it works, it works well, sometimes even a file will find enuf sources to multi in here at over 100k...  thats nice too

Seriously though due to most isp throttling a good part of the time these days people prefer the high speeds when the reins are off in order to complete bigger files when they have the chance instead of waiting days to do so.
A good percentage of people these days are not content to run in the slow lane when other options are open to them ..... that's just how the world is & why people like the new technological advances to allow them to take advantage of.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 08:02:07 am »
The only issue that I have, Hell, is that down here in Oz, most of our ISP's think they gotta meter our uploads as well as our downloads...

I remember a call-centre (Telstra) op telling me that 'We have to pay for every byte that travels in and out of Australia'

Total bullcrap of course, but thats their excuse...

FM, the 0 of 0 hack is one that permits a user to have a gazillion files, but when you run a whois on 'em, they have 0 of 0 slots open for downloadin from 'em. Go ahead, try to set your upload slots to zero, winmx wasnt programmed to allow it...

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 09:03:27 am »
winmx wasnt programmed to allow it...
not nitpicking but technically thats not true... the UI was programmed not to allow it... if winmx couldnt handle 0 of 0 it would either crash (math error) or fall back to a default setting (sanity checking) due to the invalid value... ...or as some programmers would say "its not a bug... its a feature!" ;)

extreme and exaggerated comparison, I dont know anyone who who downloads HD content
no.... actually im not.... its h.264 in the matroska container... aka 'bluray rip' tho granted i dont download them myself.... (the filesizes are.... intimidating...) many do ... its quite common (and getting moreso) in fact.... (just google 'bluray rip')
the .mkv extension would need to be added to winmx manually but the 2gig limit would make that pointless...
...but you might want to stop by youtube sometime.... even they have content that goes up to 720p....

if your after content thats mega-sized then your stuck with using a mega expensive infrastructural method
you did read the news article about twitter using bittorrent in its 'murder' project to reduce costs and server stress of moving mass amounts of data right?

like a case of some users outgrowing WinMx but liking the community feel and knowledgable userbase thats not often a key element found in torrenting circles
i like that bittorrent doesnt have a chat or IM function (politics drama etc).... but it does have a rather large community and knowledagble user base (forums mostly.. tho granted not without their own drama and politics... thats just an unavoidable part of being in a group... any group)...

but i have to agree that many are definitly outgrowing the 'transfers' part but have an odd unshakeable nostalga for the chat part....

and bluey.... if you honestly dont mind waiting a few days for a ~10mb file then... youve got more patience than most....

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2010, 09:30:58 am »
mate, normally i have use of a full time DSL connection, i can leave my PC running for weeks at a time, and MX open too...
any file will come my way, eventually

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2010, 09:50:56 am »
i have had files sitting in my incompletes for months and months, then suddenly, autofind does its job, and in zooms the completion...

Lets see torrents do that...

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 10:06:02 am »
I have to laugh at you Stripes whats your next claim, I,m never going to be convinced folks should be downloading HD format material let alone on WinMx, of course we all know how such large file sizes are handled by the wider p2p community and it wont have anything to do with a new client, heard of winzip or rar files at all  :/

All I,m seeing is a few folks who claim every file is qued and has to be waited for (total and utter rubbish), is there some hidden agenda in this often repeated but ludicrous claim ?

you did read the news article about twitter using bittorrent in its 'murder' project to reduce costs and server stress of moving mass amounts of data right?

Possibly not but did you bother to notice the cost for using WinMX being that its a decentralised and thus an unclosable network is zero, no sites needed to host magnet or torrent files, no tracker required, and no VPN required to avoid facing copyright infringement allegations, your comparison has lets be honest made the case in favour of WinMX.

Its truly amazing that I can produce media on my own personal machine and then share it with you all from.. yes that's right my own personal machine, there are no middlemen no one who can shutter me and no one who thinks they can even try, you cant say this of any torrent site, so the question is are you able to be master of your own online destiny or just one of the sheep who bleat loudly for copyrighted offerings and don't even know how to construct a torrent file let alone are active enough to upload it for others, this is how I visualize torrenting, your simply a consumer and not even able to control that consumption due to expensive operating costs, compared to WinMX its pretty clear you are trading in a self contained system for one that has multiple middlemen who all need revenue and are under constant legal attack for the same, just when was the last time anyone on WinMX held their breath when there was talk of a trackers logs being handed over to the Cartel, don't think it hasn't happened already.  

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 08:13:34 pm »
...they never stop in the first place...

I have to laugh at you Stripes

and i have to pity you.... considering you wont do the basic research on even twitters project....

c'est la vie....

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »

Even when disconnected from the net and PC shut down???

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »
Are you implying that there is some sort of new torrent system in usage that requires me to spend the time to examine every detail of its plans ?

I think I made my view clear as you have, I like peer to peer and your favouring peer to server to other server to peer and then maybe peer to peer, I dont know whats enticing you to such a network besides a large pool of users as thats all I see and its not worth losing your independence over in my view, and by the way cheer up, we are friends here and I think you might be annoyed a tad unnecessarily so,  I have used torrents myself along with most other networks so I in fact do have an idea of why folks use them, I do spend a lot of time reading material but I cant spare all my time to read evrything, I took your proffered digest of words and made an observation, its nothing to get annoyed about.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »
The point to all this, of course, is that WinMX and torrents are 2 completely different animals, one being a near-invisible smiling Tortoise that can run, and the other a striped elepyhant with 6 legs...

Both have their uses, and their faults, altho for the user, the final outcome is usually similar (We got a file) but to try to compare them is as silly as matching the USA Womens Soccer team against the top side in the Australian Football League in one game, we just dont do it...

Ergo, lets keep this discussion to what can improve WinMX, and no, it is not dying.

It may be in a popularity trough, but i think there may well be a resurgence...

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »

Even when disconnected from the net and PC shut down???

you said you have an 'always on' connect (tho we all know how those are) and never shut your machine down... in that situation... yes... they dont stop... ...if you shut the torrent client down (and pc?) it will start going again soon as you restart it...

btw, sarcasm doesnt always translate well over the web.... ;)

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2010, 12:06:01 am »
It may be in a popularity trough, but i think there may well be a resurgence...

People have been saying that since the cease and Desist Order of September 2005 & it has not happened and until things are changed to appeal to the masses then i don't believe  there is much chance of it happening either as long as things stay pretty much as they are now.

Due to progression from something that at the time appealed to the masses in its heyday to something that now only seams to appeal to a niche market of hardcore winmx users & yep a few new people do happen to drift this way but by the same token a lot do also go elsewhere...... anyone can turn round and say its safer & its a fact that it is & a good part of that is due to the small userbase compaired to other means of getting files.... if winmx suddenly became popular then the cartells would also step up there efforts to do something about it.

There are a good few users that are stuck in there ways and don't want things to change just as there are in many things the world over.... is this a bad thing .... no not to them its not but for the people who have gone elsewhere it is as they prefer progress as they see it and they are prepaired to take there chances security wise with the cartells to get what they want and how they want it.

Winmx is like a comfortable old pair of slippers to a lot of its regular users .... they like it just as it is ..... but to the masses it is just a old pair of slippers & they want the newer ones that are more fashionable &  that most everyone else has ..... sheep maybe but these sheep have decided they want to be in a different field with most the other sheep.

We could all argue amongst ourselves for ever more on the merits or disadvantages of whatever means that people use to get there files but its not gonna make winmx more popular... the only thing that will would be is whatever appeals to the masses at the time & i think they have pretty much made there own minds up on that for there own reasons.

Is winmx dying ? maybe/possibly..... i don't think it will die out totally due to the hardcore base ........ i think the question should be   Do you think winmx will become popular to the masses again as it once was?     in its current guise or similar i sure think its highly unlikely as i think its had its day as is or as was  ...... In a different direction?  It perhaps stands more of a chance but then we all know that's its not going to happen with winmx as the only people at this time who could possibly make it happen just wont.

So i guess at the end of the day things will just go on as they have since September 2005 & things will just as likely be much the same in September 2015 a hardcore bunch of winmx users still arguing over wheather winmx is dying & how to get people back like the good old days.

One thing that wont change though is that i will still be making annoyingly long posts and still rubbing some up the wrong way on occasion :D :D :D

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2010, 12:38:30 am »
And thats as it should be Hell  :-D

Whilst for the sake of a lively discussion we all take an often extreme stance on some matters, by discussing such matters we are often without knowing it speaking and obtaining answers many folks want to either ask or have answered, I was sending a pm earlier on to a user here and I made clear one thing thats perhaps not totally clear in this topic, we cant promise things we cant deliver on, thus all we have commited ourselves to are project that we believe are possible given our talents and numbers, we have much in the way of technical information but that simply can never translate into actual code or code implementations that offer features folks would like, ideas we have then by the wheelbarrow load  but coders are still in the  0.001 % range of the userbase, and present the real hurdle in going forward in my view, I hope that clears up why I,m not jumping at options that whilst tempting are not ideal or are but not for those who prefer this type of network topography over the one thats currently the most popular.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Is winmx dying ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx