gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 07:21:17 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Is Search Working or Not?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is Search Working or Not?  (Read 10548 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Is Search Working or Not?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »
If those other things work why are you trying to do it over WinMX?...

I have placed "CLEANER for Windows identifies DUPLICATE FILES (installer included).zip"
 into my up-load folder and want to verify that it can be downloaded.

I also want to test whether WinMx can be used to share files and chat between PC connected on a LAN before I install it on a LAN with 100's of users.

Hans  :walk:   

-any- file type can be downloaded as long as it does not exceed 2gig... you may need to add file extensions in the settings for types shared (for example mkv and ogv arent filetypes winmx would normally share)

and if it wasnt for the damn junk traffic from the attacks it would have been able to be found and downloaded the day you asked for it to be... ...i was finally able to get it the other day but cant say when or from what user since that info isnt kept... but it did finally work...

winmx also has a bullt-in chat server (how else would rooms have first been available ;) ) so you wont need a 3rd party one in this safe lan environment.... ....doesnt mean the 3rd party ones wont work but you will need to change some settings (namely the cache server location) and some 3rd party servers (the really old ones) wont be able to be run on the lan without some hackage due to the cache server address being hard coded...

Offline Preston

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »
Only seem to get about 8 rooms now. Any updates on this patch? It has been damn near 6 months, please tell me it won't take over a year like it did for the community patch.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:57 pm »
Only seem to get about 8 rooms now. Any updates on this patch? It has been damn near 6 months, please tell me it won't take over a year like it did for the community patch.

rooms; http://winmxunlimited.net/tools/chat-room-list/  -- many are running their rooms 'offline' meaning they wouldnt show in the normal listing but still can be joined... this is to save the room-runners from bandwidth hell due to the attacks...

patch timetable; unknown

Offline Preston

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 05:23:11 am »
Is there not any way we can trace who is doing the attacks? There has to be some way of backtracing it so we can report these people to the fbi for messing with our network?

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 06:37:51 am »
yes and no

the originating IP's of the traffic can be found. However they have always been from proxy networks

The other grey area I guess, say the originating IP is based in Germany and it is launching the traffic at primaries in the network based in japan, belguim and australia just for arguments sake. We cannot complain to the FBI. Then the very next hour the originating IP might be based in the UK, US, china, japan, india...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:11 am »
Well would n t it be a bit silly (or even stupid) to run to something like the fbi in the first place?

before you know it the problem could come from a different corner  :o
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Hans-Linux

• Forum Member
    • index.hmtl
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
If those other things work why are you trying to do it over WinMX?...

I have placed "CLEANER for Windows identifies DUPLICATE FILES (installer included).zip"
 into my up-load folder and want to verify that it can be downloaded.

I also want to test whether WinMx can be used to share files and chat between PC connected on a LAN before I install it on a LAN with 100's of users.

-any- file type can be downloaded as long as it does not exceed 2gig... you may need to add file extensions in the settings for types shared (for example mkv and ogv arent filetypes winmx would normally share)

and if it wasnt for the damn junk traffic from the attacks it would have been able to be found and downloaded the day you asked for it to be... ...i was finally able to get it the other day but cant say when or from what user since that info isnt kept... but it did finally work...

winmx also has a bullt-in chat server (how else would rooms have first been available ;) ) so you wont need a 3rd party one in this safe lan environment.... ....doesnt mean the 3rd party ones wont work but you will need to change some settings (namely the cache server location) and some 3rd party servers (the really old ones) wont be able to be run on the lan without some hackage due to the cache server address being hard coded...

I found the solution:  Gtk-Gnutella. I downloaded the source code and complied it for my Linux 64 bit and 32 bit boxes. Will try it next week on my Win7 virtual machine.

AMD Phenom II x4, 3000Mhz; 24,115 Bogo MIPS; 
 Main Op. System: Gentoo, Xfce Desktop; 
Wine 3.0.3; WinMx; Bit-Torrent;
Up-Speed 20 Mb/s Down-Speed 50 Mb/s;
 "C" programmer.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »
if you just needed a simple way to get files across a lan opennap would have worked

Offline Hans-Linux

• Forum Member
    • index.hmtl
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 07:22:22 am »
if you just needed a simple way to get files across a lan opennap would have worked

Opennap apparently need a central server (Napigator) to find other servers. This means if the Central Server is down, the network is dead.

Finally was able to test  GTK-Gnutella to  on Windows 7,  XP and 2000, Linux 32 and 64 bit boxes connected to a test LAN.. No Windows 64 bit boxes available for test.

Works like a charm with low overheads when run as Leaf Node (secondary). Has more overhead than WinMx when used as Ultrapeer (full primary) with all bells and whistles such as DHT and   doing at the same time Linear (WinMx style) and Swarming (Bittorrent style) Uploads and Downloads. Download speeds from the internet are the same as with a Bittorrent client.  No Torrent files required.  Reached on one occasion constantly 2 Megabytes per second from 5 sources located in Japan and the US.   

"C" programmer.

Offline txmetalhead

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 03:04:23 am »
Hi - I am a long time user of WINMX, and just wanted to inform everyone that I am getting little or no results from my searches.  I am using an OS - Windows XP,, and set as a PRIMARY connection.   Usually I get about 200 + results.  I know that the network is currently under attack, though.  The good news is - I am having people continue to upload my files. 
    I was just curious if other users are having trouble finding any files through the search function.  Have a good evening!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 04:01:12 am »
i dont use mx for d/l just upload.. but get nary a nybble at my files so.... your guess is as good as mine...

that being said if its in the 'top 40' charts its usually really easy to find... if its not... its not....

Offline Hans-Linux

• Forum Member
    • index.hmtl
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 06:27:55 am »
I just checked. Search is working without garbage.
When search does work, check if someone is uploading something similar from you, The browse his upload directory and see if he has what you want.

Hans
 "C" programmer.

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »
I think the attacks are slowing or primarys are getting better at spotting bad IPs or something....
Running secondary, I am using a filtering program that drops the return string, and it works pretty good. Today I figured I would see what the attacks look like... and I cant seem to find anything out of place.
I tried disconnecting a few times, even left it on for an hour and came back to find good search results.

Hope everyone here is doing good, I am working some long hours and have not found much time to putz on the computer lately.

CE

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 01:54:09 pm »
I am not entirely sure of all the attack angles, but i know for definate (just looked for myself) that the channellist request attacks are still ongoing and appear to be no less than they were.  This could be a simple case of someone rebooting a machine before commencing another day/week/month long attack?

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:53 pm »
Someone? I thought we were fairly definite as to whom...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 12:43:43 pm »
The channel list request attack would vary with the number of primaries on the network wouldn't it?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »
yes.. the less the number of primaries the more saturated each primary connection... this would limit the amount of attack traffic being sent to chat servers, but also severely affect legit traffic between primaries (and attached secondaries) ... even the parts not being attacked... :(

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »
So once again, it's like days of old, More Primaries needed
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 01:22:38 pm »
well... thats a bit of a double edged sword.... more primaries would spread the load but you would need a rather large amount of primaries to get even a tolerable amount of legit traffic through... add to that the larger amount of attack traffic to the chatservers that brings... and the aimless wandering through 'fake' ips (like the us department of defense) in the poisoned peer cache (not the peer caches on the web but the one built into winmx itself) the primaries would be making trying to find other primaries the overall trash gets worse....

..id really recommend folks install peerblock even if winmx is the only p2p app they use...

the real fix isnt more primaries with 'winmx.exe' ... but those who d/l the coming clone (whatever its name will be) and run a primary connect with that....

..whens it coming? er... good question...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 02:54:06 pm »
Anyone running as a primary will have to switch to the new client when it comes available to stop the attacks. If we still have a lot of folks out there using the old client then the network will continue to be attacked. It will be very important to spread the word to everyone that their is a new client when it comes available.  I have no doubt that the word will spread quickly because I will be messaging everyone in my queue, and everyone I can find on the network informing them why they must switch to the new client.  I will make sure everyone knows that uses WinMx in every language possible.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Is Search Working or Not?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx