gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 02, 2024, 04:35:28 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  New Program! Patch your Host File With a click of a button!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Program! Patch your Host File With a click of a button!  (Read 31412 times)

Anonymous

New Program! Patch your Host File With a click of a button!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 10:02:07 pm »
Quote from: Mick
I have win xp home, and it wouldn't allow me to use the xp button - "Not able to write to file, maybe you pressed wrong button?"

Then tried the win 2000, same message.  Win 98, patched successfully???

Still no connection.

is there a fix for this, im getting the same thing :(

Clueless_Too

WinMX patch
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 01:53:15 am »
I couldn't apply the patch, but discovered the problem: My WinXP is on drive G:, not drive C:.  I copied g:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.ics to C:, applied the patch there successfully, then copied hosts.ics to drive C:.  Thanks Josh, hope this helps.

- Clueless Too

winmxlover

Gr8 work Josh
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 05:06:18 am »
Thx Josh. Works for me on Win XP Pro. U made this a breeze !!!!!!! ........... Screw RIAA

Old Guy

Please don't Laugh....
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 05:18:21 am »
....But I still have one PC with Win95A on it.  I clicked the me/98 button for the hell of it and it worked.  Thanks!!

Xanthe

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2005, 10:37:11 am »
Thank you!  It works!

Anonymous

getting mx back
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005, 11:16:14 am »
i want to thank everyone who got mx back on wednesday was a sad day for mx world and certain people decided f*** this lets get mx back on ty for the team who got us back on hopefully riaa cant get us

Anonymous

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 04:00:14 pm »
It works.
Thank you very much!!

nibelungun

How about with WINE?
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2005, 04:32:41 pm »
I use winmx on linux, via WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). Doesn't seem to work. Anyone have any idea why?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2005, 05:41:37 pm »
At this time i am not sure if you can operate WinMX normally via Wine,  but i suggest you install the file as we suggest and try it.  It cant hurt to try.

Anonymous

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 05:57:34 pm »
Did that. Ran the patch, also tried installing the "hosts" file in my fake windows directory, as was suggested on another page. Winmx launches fine just as it always has with wine. Only difference is, unlike before, it can't connect.

nibelungun

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 06:22:49 pm »
Can someone tell me exactly what the "hosts" file is? Maybe I can convince wine to use it.

BillyBoyBlue

thanks
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 09:42:34 pm »
omg thank u for making it so easy, without it i had no new music!? ur a bleedin genius thanks :D

maryke123

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 11:16:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing the link & it works for me very very fine in the Netherlands tooo, 1000 x thanks my friends.

Greets
Marijke.

Lanie

Winmx
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 11:42:08 pm »
Works, slow to start with, but now OK.  Thanks . will pass this on.

JokersWild

Re: New Program! Patch your Host File With a click of a butt
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2005, 12:50:57 am »
:D Worked perfect! 8)  Many thanks to Afaik, Sabre, Ranma, and Pip for all their hard work on this! And for KM. :D

I would love to get a hold of RIAA,  I share music that i purchase and so do others on WinMX or they should be!  I payed for a lifetime membership to this place and now RIAA's shutting it down. How pathetic is that.  These record label companies make plenty of money, hy worry about a few songs being traded by a p2p network that we have all helped build and pay for!  

RIAA needs a diaper and a pacifier for there logo! :idea:

The Problem

WinMX was served a Cease and Desist Order on Sept 19,2005. On the Sept 20th around 16:00 GMT they pulled their peer caches (what you use to connect to the network) and WinMX became a lame duck, dead in the water..... or so our enemies thought.
At this point, an effort by the users began to fight back. There is still a ways to go, but as of now Sept 24, 2005 people are now able to connect to the network as they were before the problem started.
In the long run I believe the results of the actions taken will in the long run make WinMX a better program, it will just take a little time to do so. I have ultimate faith in the WinMX community, it has come together better than anyone would have anticipated. Rather than fall apart, it has risen to the challenge. And for that I can only thank the userbase and their loyalty to the program.
How to fix your WinMX

1. Open My Computer
2. Open C drive
3. Click and open Windows (Windows 98/ME users can then go to step 7)
4. Click and open system32
5. Click and open drivers
6. Click and open fold called etc
7. You will see a file named hosts. Rename it to Originalhosts as a backup.
8. Download the replacement file here
9. It is a Zipped file, you will need to extract the file and put it in the folder you already have open. Do not just put the zipped file in there, you need the hosts file to be the only you copy into the folder.
10. Restart WinMX. (Windows 98/ME users will need to actually reboot their computers)
11. Now Connect to Secondary or Primary connections (If Primaries please don't share files)  

shangplayer

ter-rif
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2005, 01:13:03 am »
Patch worked great !!! I have xp and prog does not run on c:\ ,but fixed it straight off. Good job and many thanks.

PCWares

WinMX
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2005, 05:41:54 am »
OK, On my Windows ME system, I also get the "Not able to write to file, maybe you pressed wrong button?" message.  And I of course, don't have the /etc folder either.  Would love to have tried the "rename the Hold file and then copy this one from this Zip file" method, but the User writing that Plan B forgot to include a path to the aforementioned Zip file ???   So, How do I actually make this proggie work on my Win ME system ?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2005, 06:33:46 am »
Redownload from front page .. KMs Hosts file.
Go to C: > Windows >  Hosts file .. rename it to 'Old Hosts'
Unzip to your

C:\Windows folder

Restart WinMX
If you are capable of a primary connection try that first and get Peer guardian also mentioned on the front page ...

Good Luck ..  :wink:

narrowboaterUK

WinMX
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2005, 04:51:48 pm »
Thank you people, you have returned sanity to my home.

WinMX had become a major part of my disabled sons life, he being not able to get out into the world and me not having the means to supply the material he had / has access to.

As it is we fall into the p2p people whom spend more real cash on such material than those whom do not p2p; talk about bite the hand........

Again, thanks all, magic.

ClassicRock

WinMx
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 01:47:02 am »
Yeah, let's Rock again. Thanks to Josh, you great man!!!!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  New Program! Patch your Host File With a click of a button!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx