gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 02:35:06 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Spliting The WinMX Network
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Should The WinMx Network Be Split ?

Yes
No
Maybe
Unsure

Author Topic: Spliting The WinMX Network  (Read 12652 times)

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
Spliting The WinMX Network
« on: March 11, 2007, 11:40:19 pm »
OK all after reading all that has been said in other posts here
And after thinking very long and hard about this
I thought it was time that a vote was made for this subject

I for 1 am sure that the network should be split and this is my reason
For nearly 2 years now we have lived with the dll fix (winmxworld patch) and the pie fix (vladds patch)
If theres one thing i have seen alot of is when winmx crashes as in a cache goes down and the pie users can not connect to winmx
all they ever do is place the blame with Winmx team and site
Now if the network was split and when the pie patch fails yet again and the fakes files and ddos attacks carry on they wont be able to lie and place the blame here yet again.

This in its self will prove who has been lieing to the users and who hasn't in its self and that alone will bring any users on pie who were unsure of the truth running here for the dll fix.

That's my view and opinion    please feel free to post here also why u feel the network should or shouldn't be split also post if you are unsure as to weather we should or shouldn't split.

I would say that if it is decided to split that all winmx users on dll go to friends on winmx or other rooms u know people well in to let them know whats going to happen.

This would help make the split run more smoothly   i know a fair few movie rooms on winmx and could make sure there all in the know of whats going to happen
We would also need to get other rooms whom speak other languages to help with the split also so as to cover all bases

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
Re: Spliting The WinMX Network
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:35:06 am »
i agree with you, its a shame i cant speak/type other languages (i have enough trouble with English, as you have probably noticed)

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:40:13 am »
I'm unsure about the net effect of doing this.
What kind of percentage of the network do us that give a rats make up?
How much of the winmx community of users who chat, share and download is made up of people who don't know, don't care and just want to chat and share?
When I first came to winmx after Napster and kazza glitched, a mate said try winmx. My fist port of call was vladd44, when the network was shut down I initially went to torrents.
With the network like it is, it is very easy for users to pop into winmxworld chat and listen, if we split the network, it may well be easier for fed up pie users to drop winmx and just use bit torrents and yahoo instead of winmx.
I don't see a clear and concise benefit to the network of doing this but I see a potential to annoy and frustrate users who don't know what all of this is about.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 09:01:57 am »
The clear and concise benefit is rather simple, we lose 100% of fake file listings and the network will be able to work more efficiently because its not handling all the fake traffic designed to leech your bandwidth.

The second benefit would be that updates could be issued for new added features that you cant do currently as some things would break compatibility with all the other clients, this is why frontcode used to disable connection for older clients and test betas by using different peer cache ports.

I,m not sure that its fair to decide a vote here without publicising the vote itslf to get a true indication of what users want, we must be careful not to take advantage of our position of trust we have with the users, a majority consensus would be required and a hell of a lot of votes.
With this in mind if you feel strongly on this issue then could I ask you all to take steps to ensure as many users as possible post their views with some indication of what you all want for the future.

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:24:45 am »
WinMX is dying it seems.   People are not sharing as much, chat rooms are very quiet.   I think it really needs a fresh start, and then spread the word again about the program.   I think either the fresh stat will be WinMX with a dll, or the new alternative program being put together by V and co.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:30:10 am »
I agree that it should we split, as ghost said their is enhancements that can be made to the programme that cant because of the small minority, also being completly rid of fakes is one hell of a diffrence from other networks. What network will be able to boast, no fake files and cartel. I can assure you that their is none. Although it looks like mass confusin might be a big issue thier is enough of us in the help room 24 hours a day, even two help rooms could be open if the traffic is too much to help in one room.

For awhile we was advertsing winmxgroup on the search results of host files users. some will know about this others wont, but this could be easily configured to give out more service announcements as to the change in multiple languages, This could be ran for a few week's, the change doesnt have to happen overnight and desighn might take a week or two anyway, but if its going to happen advertsing needs to start sooner rather than later

Also out side advertsing needs to be started as soon as possible, a few post on slyk and if we can a report on it, An get this posted about the place, and i also thought about a few fake files on other networks, to let them know winmx has chanaged, again this is really simple to do.

All other ideas are gratefully accepted and most inportantaly your vote and opinion.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:30:47 am »
Sorry to disappoint you Mick but the client being put together by Bughunter has nothing to do with V and Co, I dont think its fair to give folks the impression vladd or any of the pie team are doing any work on it as it been made clear to me by those involved that they are not, unless you have some new information that is ?

Offline Ace

• Forum Member
  • Every new creation is the sum of old and new.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 02:57:28 pm »
i posted for yes  i have allways wonted a split  for a clean network  now its a case of when and if    lets hope the furture looks gd for mx

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 04:40:58 pm »
I dont think that the network should be split. I know there are many advantages to splitting it, however, this isnt one of our creations do this to.

dazco

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 05:23:38 pm »
my vote is no to a split , winmx works very well because its established and well known , surely alternatives can be found to the problems mentioned above without a split and new p2p client being created. I dont know how but i would not like to see an end to the best p2p  community of file sharers. NO

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 05:57:29 pm »
 My reason for wishing for a split is this.Before the closeing of mx we had to deal with the start of the fake files and flooding of fules .After the fall we lost many users. The fake files started back again and the flooding more than ever.We lost more people over this. Then the patch wars started the host file users allow the fake and flooded files to come in, The DLL users block them. More people left over the patch wars and are still leaving.Ive gotten some people that once used mx to come back just long enough for them to say im gone again when asked why they all say why stay on a p2p that will never be able to stop the fakes that just seams to be a war zone.Ive never seen a p2p program that has 2 ways to connect so why does winmx?

I want the host file users to connect really i do just not to the DLL servers.Let them have their mx with out us and we can have a mx with out their letting the fake and flooded files in.People are leaveing mx over the fake files and abought the fighting (the ones that use the chat rooms ) .If this was something that could not be fixed id say well we need to just get over it,But this can be fixed by blocking.Any one that says we need to wait ,weve been saying this from over a year and a half ago and we have waited and nothing has changed,so waiting is out of the question now.Many have posted and said they think winmx is dieing a slow death as it is now, with people leaving i have to agree with that.our only hope is offering a fake file and flood and a patch war free winmx.

The patch war is some thing others have had against Km and anyone running the DLL from day one all it is is hate not a love for mx or what is best for mx.I know of many people that left winmx that were members of vladd44's chat room over how they were treated after seeing threw vladd and speeking out ,they have stated that they have real lives and could not put up with some cyber punk pissing them off in their leasure time on the net.They have said that with out vladd they would try mx again becouse they have not found a p2p that fills the void that no mx has left.

If its not ours to split then it wasnt ours to patch. i say yes the sooner the better.No one is talking about a new client other than the pie users,nothing will change it will still be winmx ,weve had over 2 years to find a alternative to all this and the host file  users will not stop the flooders from connecting.

YES Split It!
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 09:54:43 pm »
yea i agree with splitting for many of the reasons pointed out above
as for taking a vote I'm afraid i don't agree with ghostships  point below

"I,m not sure that its fair to decide a vote here without publicising the vote itself to get a true indication of what users want, we must be careful not to take advantage of our position of trust we have with the users, a majority consensus would be required and a hell of a lot of votes."

in principle i do but i have been talking to a lot of ppl about this in  rooms and the general concensus seems to be ppl have no idea about the workings of winmx anyway and would not even know what they was voting for.....this is not meant to sound condescending in any way its fact from convos i have had with many ppl....i think if there is to be a vote perhaps a temporary site should be set up explaining what when how and where linked to here and perhaps posted in as many rooms as possible....but i think you will find your average user just doesn't care all they want is the best winmx possible .....i know the users from this site are passionate about all things winmx but sadly from many discussions i have had others only care if they can connect and download properly and if we can provide this without all the crap that goes along with it presently then they will be more than happy.

as for dazco point below

"my vote is no to a split , winmx works very well because its established and well known"

I'm afraid if this was so we wouldn't be having these discussions in the 1st place winmx is dwindling and if action is not soon taken then it will all but die i have noticed a sudden decline in the last 6 months myself until then it seemed to be picking up a little bit day by day but just l8ley a lot of ppl i know myself have given up on it.....to be honest if things dint soon change i am thinking along those lines myself its all well and good being optimistic about the future but reality is if it stays as it is winmx very likely wont have much of a future at all it will be a case of last one out close the door please

i would hate to see this happen but I'm afraid as i see it its inevitable as things stand winmx needs a good shake up and pointing in 1 direction only for the benefit of all the users and only then will we be able to establish a comunity that flourishes and ppl want to be a part of instead of ambling along as it is where ppl come look think ohh well nothing special and disappear into the mist (something i seen a hell of a lot of just l8ley)

discussions can go on forever and as many votes as you like can be taken but unless positive action is take sooner rather than l8er we will still be here 2 years down the road still debating only at this time  there will not be enough ppl left to even warrant the work involved to take action anyway

LETS BE BOLD ...BE BRAVE....AND BE POSITIVE FOR THE FUTURE OF WINMX

The above is not meant to offend or upset anyone it is just my opinion and observations

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 10:55:05 pm »
I would like at this juncture to point out that we are not in fact dying away, the userbase is actually increasing but very very slowly, we have tools to keep an eye on the network and how its running and these all indicate there have been no major catastrophies but we do see users come and go in relation to good or bad publicity regarding winmx, if the current users all feel its going to die, thats likely the future.

Lets not decide what is for us a technical issue based on concerns over user turnover that are nothing new and something we regularly see at various times of the year, summer has peaks and so does certain over times throughout the year, the main core of users are still here enjoying themselves and will never read this, lets think positive, you have all come a long way and the road is still clear for the future whatever is decided, its merely a question of how many lanes we want  :)

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 12:58:40 am »
I vote yes to the split (Big suprise huh? lol)

This is why: We may be enjoying a fake free winmx, thx to KM, but it isn't because the ddos (distributed denial of service) attack is gone. KM has simply removed it from our results being shown... However, the wpn is still being flooded with bogus data, even though it doesn't show on our screens (thx to the .dll patch). The WPN (WinMX Peer Network) is saturated with crap data, and it is all coming from non-.dll users who are helpless to keep the flooders from connecting to their machines.

If they were on a seperate network, then our WinMX would run clean, and they could keep all the crap data, and fake results that they are letting in by using a hosts file.

This would also keep this new client they are developing from infesting us even more with their unsafe method of connection. If we do not split before it is released, then I am convinced that this new client will bolster more unprotected users, which will flood the WPN even more.
If we were to split before it is released, then they will have a hard time lying to people, convincing them to join a network that has very few users (which is what they will be left with if we are in a different network).

The vast majority of users have chosen the .dll for all of it's features and safety, and it's filtering of bad data. It is time that those users can have what the .dll really has to offer. A clean WinMX experience. No more network flooding. No more having someone else decide whether or not the network can run efficiently.

The hosts users have made their bed. Let THEM sleep in it.

Best Regards and BE GOOD!
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 02:57:58 am »
I say yes as well, as fake free winmx is and will be the best thing for the users.
As someone told (really sorry lol I don't remember who) , Even a doctor will amputate a limb to save the head...

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 07:12:30 am »
you can kid yourself that its not dying away ghost but try telling the room hosts that have less and less users entering the rooms by the week. as for peaks and lows that has always been the case with winmx ......there may be more files about but in the main that is because of the same users gaining more files..u only got to look around this site and there is loads of references to ppl that are getting files elsewhere to share on winmx but by the same token these ppl are not gonna keep proping the network up on there own...there comes a point where even the most avid mxer will say is it relay worth all my efforts.... it seems ppl here tend to forget about the rooms ...your reference to the userbase getting slowly bigger is not represented in the rooms ,far from it..go check for yourself its there plain to see..... if we are talking the users that are sharing files and forgetting the rooms there are a hell of a lot better places on the net to get files without all the fakes and polotics that are used as obstacles and piss the average user off to the point that they can be assed no more.
a network without vladd ,pie ,fakes and all the crap that goes with it can only be a bonus in gaining a better winmx

change is not always a bad thing especialy when its for the greater good in the long run as so many ppl that realy care have pointed out in there posts on this site...... lets stop the "if it dont soon change im off" that i hear all to often on winmx these days !!!!

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:17:53 am »
Its not kidding myself when I can see the amount of users anytime of the day all year round, its no longer an opinion when your in a position to see detailed statistics.

Please dont confuse the issue here, we are asking folks about whether they think the wpn should be split and so far we are seeing the majority say yes but we need not cloud over the reasons for asking this question with wild guesses not backed up by anything solid.

If I can play devils advocate for a minute has anyone thought about how many hosts will not change and how many rooms will be lost in the short term, no one has mentioned this or the loss of many file sharers, are you all prepared to put in a lot of work publicising mx as flooder free and user friendly to thousands of new users ?

I hope we go ahead with this move myself but lets not go in blindfolded or deluding ourselves , we need your efforts to ensure this will work and we need a sign that this is supported by you all and for that reason I want to see this vote expand into the hundreds before we start a full scale effort, if we can get this sort of number with our efforts I,m sure thats a good sign of what folks want.

Please ask users to show what it is they want , democracy is alive and well here, nothing will be done without the will of the majority being shown to favour a split, the ball is in your court pro splitters, gather the votes if you feel this is the right way to go.

[Edited by Ghostship to correct a typo  :) ]

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:04 am »
A gd idea is if you run ot visit rooms on a regular basis why not ask them to see if you can post the link to here ?
I would say get permission first so as to not offed anyone
But the more that visit here and post there wishes here the better the word will spread.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 10:51:55 am »
Hi All,
looking at Gost's & Hell's posts,
i have seen so many movie rooms that sit there empty, they show alot of fake users in the list but on the inside a server, host & his bot or bots, some use room filler (i don't like room filler personally) but on the whole it seems everyone wants to open movie rooms, i have helped 4 hosts set up with fxs in just over a week just a few months ago.
splitting, yes we will loose a few rooms, and possibly some users, but we know the majority is using the DLL.

i can recall 1 user ir i remember right, said her room host told her to use PG if she wants to be a member, that is so wrong, same as kicking someone out of a help room because they didn't want to use the "other patch"

and yes TheMacDaddy,
i think it is a good idea to add a link to this topic in uor rooms for people to see & vote.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

dazco

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 05:23:47 pm »
can someone please clear up whats being suggested here , a new version of winmx or a diferent  client altogether, blocking PiE users from the Dll network ? also some people will not post their views because they dont want to sign in to do so so you will not get a true idea of what people think or want

if we keep our current winmx and just split the network to make the dll network better then i dont think anyone could disagree with that, we all want the best possible :-)   

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Spliting The WinMX Network

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx