gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 10, 2024, 02:33:15 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  WS2_32.DLL Fix
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WS2_32.DLL Fix  (Read 15291 times)

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« on: September 27, 2005, 06:05:23 pm »
Hi, any information out out there about what exactly the ws2_32.dll is doing?  I know it's probably a modified Winsock DLL or Winsock wrapper but would like some more info about how it works.

KM

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 06:17:05 pm »
it just sits there so when winmx tried to access winsock functions (well, winsock 2 functions) it accesses the replacement functions instead, which then call the real functions

this allows the patch to then modify which parameters get sent or what is returned... for example winmx calls the gethostbyname function to look up the IP Address of "c3310.z1301.winmx.com" - the dll then calls the original function, but instead of passing "c3310.z1301.winmx.com" to it, it passes "cache0.winmxgroup.com" or whichever cache it wants to use...

fairly simple (if you exclude the ammount of typing required to make the damn thing... lol) but effective :-)

it also plays with the return of the accept function for inbound connections -it calls the original, but then if the new connection is from a blocked IP Address (ie. a flooder) then it closes the connection straight away before winmx even knows it existed and returns a failure error to winmx (so it doesn't think a new cclient connected and try to send to it)

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 06:43:19 pm »
nice one km thanks for that. :)

out of interest where's it sourcing the list of bad ip addresses from?  sorry, i haven't tried it here yet so am unaware if it creates a blockfile or something.

KM

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 06:48:07 pm »
https://www.winmxgroup.com/block_list.txt

just has the flooders in it, if any more are found they can be added easily and clients will be updated when they restart (if they fail to get the list on startup then it will simply function without the block list in place, which is not a major issue as long as most primaries have the list loaded)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:55:58 pm »
If anyone has any issues regarding the list drop me a PM please as that will ensure a fast response -- cheers  :D

Anonymous

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:58:56 pm »
dude this is fucking brilliant because if all teh nubs use this to fix up WinMX, and the IP blocks are actually decent, then it could for once have an impact against the media corps. right on.

p.s. i might be able to pass on some verified media company ips not contained in that list if anyone wants em (i'm a mxsniffer anti-corp whore what can i say).

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:59:43 pm »
^7

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 07:25:03 pm »
Cant pm anyone that is not a registered user ....  :roll:

Offline 7

• Forum Member
WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 07:43:23 pm »
regged to pm ghostship there ;)

Anonymous

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 08:41:09 pm »
This file did not work right all it did was use up all my cpu and could not hold a stabale connection  so i reinstalled the old host file and it was fine if any one has  fix let me know

KM

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 08:46:15 pm »
which OS? and do you have any other third party plugins/addons/etc that could be an issue?

Anonymous

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 08:48:36 pm »
xp running mx moni.

winmx news
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 08:58:02 pm »
It would really help if webpage owners would date the info. Of the various webpages I just checked everyone has different info.  

On your front page it says about if ppl tell you not to share files.....  and when did who say when to start sharing files?  We were asked to not share files and ppl are still having problems getting on the mx network so how were we to know that had changed?

Please dont treat those of us who have done all we can to co-operate out to be stupid idiots. Offend too many of the those who stayed online and able to be the building blocks to get it back up and you maybe surprised if it happens again.  No one likes being called a fool.

Anonymous

winmx fix
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 08:58:12 pm »
patch does not work for me .... get error message .... Failed to initialize winsock, program terminating .... I am running windows 98, winmx v3.53.
I downloaded the WS2_32.dll and cut and plated it to c:/program files/winmx

Flying-Dutchman

Question about WS2_32o.dll ... NO.. FIRST SOMETHING ELSE
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 09:04:03 pm »
SHIP AHOY!!!!!

Hello Every one... This is my first posting here... I wanted to ask an question... then realized I wanted to express something first....

I have tried lots of p2p programs... but I find WinMX for me the best.

TO RAMNA, DRAC & KM......
Thank you so much for your work... specialy combined with the speed you people showed after the shut down by the RIAA.

I am a member of the AAA Documentaries channel, and we all are so happy WinMX is back and PATCHED UP..... It is cool to see how so many people around the world share the same programm... and now struggle to keep WinMX going....

And now I can allow myself to ask my humble question...

I have the new WS2_32o.dll Do I need to place my old host file back???

The Flying Dutchman sails into the mist to hunt for those landdwellers of the RIAA.......

Offline 7

• Forum Member
WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 09:05:36 pm »
running fine for me here so far, km, though the blocklist needs sorting. pm'ed some folks but no replies yet

Chat-aholic

patch for robo?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 09:13:32 pm »
where do i put the patch for robo?  there isnt a .dll file to replace.

Also I had to format and cant find anyplace to download winmx 3.53 or 3.54.

Hehehe - thats what happens when you dont remember to do your drive maintenance.

Love the chat log function of robo and wish it would be incorporated into the next version of winmx. And yes I know about bend but it wont work and no one has been able to figure it out.

Thank you to everyone who kept this ship floating.

mechanic

since new patch
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 09:29:23 pm »
Since i Installed the new patch i can no longer make a primary connection.  I am running Win xp with mx moni and version 3.54.  It says no udp port for incoming and outgoing packets.  Is there a fix or a work around for it?

thanks

KM

WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 10:25:26 pm »
your settings have probably been changed, try going to settings and setting it back to accept inbound UDP and see if that fixes it

Offline James420

• Forum Member
WS2_32.DLL Fix
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 12:46:11 am »
The patch works perfectly...if I only wanted to connect as a primary. I can't and none of my friends can connect as secondary at all with this patch. Is there a reason for that?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  WS2_32.DLL Fix

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx