gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 02:57:56 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  How Did the Pie Info Team Get It So Wrong ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How Did the Pie Info Team Get It So Wrong ?  (Read 30388 times)

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
Re: How Did the Pie Info Team Get It So Wrong ?
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »
It's by no means failed.

It's just that the Pie.info team has a lot to catch up on and learn about right now :)

Be assured we're working on solving any issues that may yet come up though.

AFAIK their new infrastructure is mostly in place and their customized patch is in the process of being built right now.
It is, however our intention to help them deal with stuff by themselves instead of relying on us and these things need some time.
There's a lot going on behind the curtains, never fear we'll get there yet I'm quite optimistic to say :)

LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2010, 10:12:25 pm »
AFAIK their new infrastructure is mostly in place and their customized patch is in the process of being built right now.

ive been told that for a little over a month now.... its almost become as reliable as trillians tounge-in-cheek "coming soon(tm)" (how long did the users get sneek peeks of the 'astra' client before it showed?)

can we have a little more '--verbose' output on this situation? if the patch is being 'built right now' for a month at what stage is its current development? alpha? beta? release candidate?

do we have a tenative feature list? (hosts block? dataminer block? did the option to disable the browse function make it in? user definable blocklist?)

why was the discussion thread deleted on pie.info?

or if those cant be answered howbout; does 'coming soon' include some point in the year 2010?

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2010, 10:35:20 pm »
It's by no means failed.

It's just that the Pie.info team has a lot to catch up on and learn about right now :)

Be assured we're working on solving any issues that may yet come up though.

It is, however our intention to help them deal with stuff by themselves instead of relying on us and these things need some time.
There's a lot going on behind the curtains, never fear we'll get there yet I'm quite optimistic to say :)

I have it on a good source that says the patch was modified a month ago but it kept crashing and no one can figure out why. So it's just completely stalled and the only choice is to give out the same patch we are using now. And that was 3 weeks ago.. It doesn't take more than a day to modify something like that for the pie team.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2010, 05:39:56 am »
The process has not failed, it is still rolling. Sabre is now on his own, he has no forum team and he is now the only cache runner for them. He is basicly mxpie.info all by himself. Not a postion id like to be in for sure. Just keep watching this space, their is activity still progressing behind the scenes, and hopefully sabre will realise his mistake before everyone turns their anger directly at him.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2010, 08:01:18 am »
Likewise, the thread at the pie.info forum wasn't deleted, but the forum is not being hosted, likely gone...

But it's well archived...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2010, 08:02:23 am »
ive been told that for a little over a month now.... its almost become as reliable as trillians tounge-in-cheek "coming soon(tm)" (how long did the users get sneek peeks of the 'astra' client before it showed?)

can we have a little more '--verbose' output on this situation? if the patch is being 'built right now' for a month at what stage is its current development? alpha? beta? release candidate?

do we have a tenative feature list? (hosts block? dataminer block? did the option to disable the browse function make it in? user definable blocklist?)

why was the discussion thread deleted on pie.info?

or if those cant be answered howbout; does 'coming soon' include some point in the year 2010?

verry good questions Silver, i m curious too (eventhough i don t expect answers that make much sence i must admit)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:49 am »
Or, if i'm not mistaken, the pie.info forum is being hosted by Saber and his team of...

One   :D
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2010, 09:09:40 am »
yeah ..one ... i started counting answers allready LMAO..sorry for my sarcasm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2010, 10:13:09 am »
Is there any need for a stampede at this time chaps ?

As most of you where aware Sabre had gained control of mxpie info after Gemini gave it to him, like others she has left WinMX and others have been tasked with cleaning up her mess.
The current situation is training, education and infrastructural building for the pie info team, many of them had been denied basic knowledge and experience in some of the key areas and of course we have stepped up to the plate to share our expertise to fellow WinMX supporters.

The key focus atm is to get ready for a big push to remove unblocking host file users from the network, there has been a problem with a new modified patch and it was decided that for the time being it was not a priority importance to roll out both ourselves and  pie info with the new version, if in the future its deemed "release worthy" we will of course deploy it but as usual only after extensive testing and with a high confidence factor.

I think most questions have been addressed already in this thread so with the aim of a unity concensus on blocking as the final outcome can I ask you all to stay patient while those who need to take on board extra roles and information are left able to do so without facing a ticking clock.

I like to think a meal is best served when its ready and not before  :) 

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:30 am »
Sh*t now i ve lost count allready  :whistle:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2010, 12:05:55 pm »
Or, if i'm not mistaken, the pie.info forum is being hosted by Saber and his team of...

One   :D

um... you're kidding.... right?? tho it would explain why... as of this posting.. there are 1571 unanswered forum posts....

...and this just boils down to a waiting game of 'how long will sabre hold on' ?

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »
Please don't forget in all this that we're all "normal" human beings with a day job as well, i.e. we spend our free time if and when we can to do this.

We all got day jobs though and with the weather being nice as it is over here atm I'd much rather go to the beach than dealing with patch development
and I bet that goes for others as well.

Just be patient and dont forget that any minute we spend discussing this on here is one less minute working on something else ;)

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »
you right nilly i m at the beach too tomorrow .. anything is better then reading these bogus stories

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »
As most of you where aware Sabre had gained control of mxpie info after Gemini gave it to him, like others she has left WinMX and others have been tasked with cleaning up her mess.

I feel the need to jump in for Gemini here as the story is a little different. I'm not forgetting or ignorant on what has happened in the past but at a certain point it was Gemini who put lots of time and effort in the website of mxpie.info. She has been a long time the only intermediate between the info team and Sabre. Being bullied always by Sabre and starting her own company in computer service made her decide,   the WinMx users needing help to connect in mind, to hand the website to Sabre as the only by Sabre accepted webhost.

It has been Sabre's failure being a teamleader that made a mess of it.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »
its always the same Leo, WMW cleaning up someone else's mess AAAHHUuumm (no matter who's name is being dragged through the dirt), but thank you for showing some character, backbone and fairness  :yes:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »
Is that sarcasm I detect Joshua ?

Feel free to point to any group cleaning up "our messes", that is if you can find any.

I agree with you on the matter of Gem once being a solid and committed WinMX supporter Wonderer but for the life of me I cant understand why anyone would hand over a key domain to someone who is clearly out to help make the network accessible to anti p2p attackers, its just not logical.
Whether folks agree with my slant of what Gem did its pretty clear to anyone that leaving one person ( you describe as a "bully") to control everything is not the way ahead for the community in general, a lesson we had to learn the hard way here, thankfully we had great help and some strong willed supporters who put their facilities on the line when disaster struck.

The only thing we at this site are guilty of is wanting to help create the best experience for all WinMX users and we freely admit of that we are guilty as charged.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »
Is that sarcasm I detect Joshua ?
no ghostship at the moment its anger and disapointment

lots of thngs going through my mind right now i and im trying not to post them

one thing maybe: if even i can whip up a community patch with a pie userbar in 30 minutes tops, why can t you in a month?

..pointless to ask i know..because i lost alotta trust ..i m so sorry

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »
Frustration and anger are fair comment Joshua.

As I explained in my post above much of the delay is in getting folks talking and ready to deal with each other in a professional manner that benefits all WinMX users and creating a level playing field for all, this has meant sharing many things and ensuring those on the receiving end are comfortable with their new found tools and knowledge, I myself have written up a few new private tutorials just for this operation and many of the staff here are heavily involved in bringing the plan together in co-operation with the pie info folks, the delays have been mounting up I agree but I honestly believe we are all in a good shape and will soon be ready to roll in a united effort.

Your correct in stating it would take less than 30 minutes to edit up the old patch to the specs required by pie info but of course nothings as simple as it first may appear, obviously pie info are wishing to create and release their own patch and that means although we can help get them ready to go the actual release will be coming via them and their assigned coder/code validator, this is simply to build confidence and trust between both us and them and their users, we stand by our patch and we feel its only fair they can do the same and that of course adds in these extra hurdles, the other delay is of course a new installer and of course the same delay problems apply to that, on our side we have had delays in getting them whats needed some of the time as the supervisors group is not always fully present and key members of staff are not about at the same time as the key pie info members, so yes its dragging on but I ask you to have faith that we are doing our best and taking this slowly but surely for the right reasons. On the good news front the pie info peer caches are up tested and standing-by to go operational  :)

No one will be more disappointed than me if we see this plan fall apart at the last minute, many here have been waiting 4 1/2 years to see it happen.     

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »
The Point is another here, Joshua:

Of course we can modify the current community patch pretty fast but the Pie.info team as GS already mentioned starts pretty much fron zero.

There's a bit more than just having the patch - you need to obtain a hostname for integration into the cache server infrastructure, you need to setup cache servers,
a webserver running the mainbar, one for patch deployment  plus there's the blocklist maintenance etc, etc.

Now most of this stuff isn't all that hard to do but it needs to be organised and setup and tested etc.

I know I had a huge lot to learn when I had to step up to run wmw and the patch site and as a matter of fact I'm still learning stuff every day.

To keep matters short, there's a little more to it than meets the eye and it's simply not our intention to just hand over the patch and provide everything,
we'd like the Pie.info team to understand all this as well so they're able to do their part in helping the community.

This is just another assurance for all of the community that no one person or even team will be able to shut down most of winmx ever again :)

PS: darn, GS beat me to it, :lol:

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2010, 11:44:43 pm »
you guys make it sound all so complicated when really most of it is not, i can start trying to explain but i dont have to because really you ..you allready know it

it sounds nice ..edjucate them geez ..maintain a blocklist? we get them from one point now this is not gonna change i think, ok a few of us can modify the peercache to get a different one but really what s the point? if it s a good list.. it s a good list

really i m done being the big pain here, i hope you re not gonna leave the team members that left sabre hang much longer

remember i was not the one screaming emergency or danger at the start of this thread, i m quite satisfied with the dll way and for all i care it may stay, i am happy the non blocking team got smaller (if it really did) but i think i also started to understand sabre's fear alittle better

i m sorry about all these opinions i would have loved to be positive :yes:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  How Did the Pie Info Team Get It So Wrong ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx