gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 08:47:50 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Client Weekly Update  (Read 88869 times)

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
New Client Weekly Update
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:09:37 am »
I believe I can speak for many people that we are all very excited for this new client. Can you please provide a release date and possilby a weekly update as to when in September 2012 this will be released. Please, lets use this thread to keep in touch and to keep everyone informed on this new release!

Thanks!

Re: New Client Weekly Update
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:06:07 am »
As far as I know there is no firm release date.

As new developments occur they will be made public. I'm sure most can appreciate that much time can pass with seemingly no movement and then a rush of finished items in a short space of time.

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:58 pm »
September is nearly here! =D

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:13:34 pm »
And the elves are still busy  :-D

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:16:20 pm »
It IS here!

And happy Fudduh's day to all concerned
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:31:12 pm »
The date I mentioned for a likely release was on the anniversary of the closure back in 2005 so we have 2-3 weeks left to pull the whole project together, we may not make it but we are going for it as we promised.

Some alpha second versions are being messed with by some of the staff here as part of the rolling bug detection effort, there is a bottle neck in at least one major part of the client, I wont says its all completed yet but work is accelerated as you would all expect to try to hit the deadline, as always thank you all for both your patience and your trust.

Offline Bluehaze

• Forum Member
    • Realms Beyond
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:32:00 am »
Thanks so much! Will be looking forward to the public release, in September, or as soon as possible. :)
"As one grows older, one becomes wiser and more foolish,"
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:34:35 am »
Dittooooooooooooooooooo!!

Just remember that...

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:57:35 am »
Keep the faith...all us Slavanap operators are standing bye......staying high......and growing old as well.  I know a few oldies (and youngies) that have since passed away while waiting for this release (no lie) however it is in their will that their children will carry on the winmx tradition for generations to come...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 05:51:44 am »
I hope you are able to make the deadline, but if not then I will be patiently waiting no matter if its sometime next year.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 04:09:58 pm »
Thank you all for your supportive words, the development team are proud to be working on this project and are doing their best to bring you something by the special date, as always thank you all for your patience, without such commited folks as yourseves we have no network  8)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:37:33 pm »
I created this page some months ago but there wasnt time to keep it updated however some of the info is still relevant so my apologies for not showing it before but it may aid a few of you to see how far we reached by May and we are further along now.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/new_wpn_client_preview.html

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 06:55:15 am »
Coming right along!  Thanks for all the hard work!

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:22:49 am »
I don't see it happening this month unless an incomplete release is made to show how much work has been completed. It would be great to be proved wrong though. I just don't want to see everyone get their hopes up when we are so close. I'm not in any hurry even though I do miss WinMx so much! Its a lot easier for me to wait knowing that the network will be better than it was before the attacks began. The network will soon have capabilities that it never had before.  I'm going to make a wild guess here & say a complete release will be made sometime in November or December which is a very short period of time considering how much work had to be done with so little help to do it. Then after that maybe a few more months to iron out bugs before the network is running smoothly again. Also during that time testing new capabilities & features that the network never had before which is really awesome! We are actually going to have a better network than we ever had before so that's well worth waiting for!

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »
I don't mind testing out any of the builds, as log as I can see it and use it I'll be happy. Please include some enhanced searching features such as being able to have an indexed search option when browsing a user's files. It will be very useful!

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 11:00:51 pm »
One key addition to users privacy protection has been the ability to block the browse function, this will not of course affect general searches.

On the other turn of the coin, improving the browsing experience shouldnt be too hard to deliver at some point as the basic system is working fine and from what I believe your proposing all the work would be on the client side. Another idea put forward in the chat room recently was to dig deeper into any compatible media files ID3 tags and use that data to assist with a more broader search by genre such as rock or soul etc.

This is where I add the standard warning regarding running before we can walk but like the rest of you I look forward to great days ahead and the dream of better times.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 05:16:26 am »
Being able to search by minimum, and maximum file size can be useful also to filter out unwanted search results. I use that feature often with another P2P client I use. I use it to filter out lower quality media files when searching for videos. I'm also looking forward to testing it as well!

Offline DeadGraveyard

• Forum Member
  • Dedicating Time to Serve People HELP!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:40 am »
In my opinion i don't think it will stop people from ATTACKING the network it just a new client - also has anyone considered the fact that other servers (fxs, wcs) should be able to connect to it also....in order for this to work, we must bide our time, i hope i'm wrong, i hope the new cache (.dll file which remains to be seen) will help us out, also i hope it to use a different method of connecting to avoid flooding of the WPNs

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »
It will take some time to distribute the client to everyone, and make them aware that there is a new client. It shouldn't take long though since there's not very many users on the network anymore. The thing is its not just a new client because protocol level changes have been made so we actually will have a new network. That was the whole reason to start a new client because it was the only long term fix possible. Since we did not have the source code it was given a new client would have to be developed if WinMx was to have a future since there was no updating the old client. I think in time the network will be much better than what we had before due to no longer being restricted to the outdated protocols.  There will no longer be a 2gb file cap for sharing, and there will be options for blocking users from browsing your files for safer P2P. This is only 2 of many new features, and capabilities being worked on.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 07:55:06 am »
Being able to search by minimum, and maximum file size can be useful also to filter out unwanted search results. I use that feature often with another P2P client I use. I use it to filter out lower quality media files when searching for videos. I'm also looking forward to testing it as well!

AND for filtering browses that are (Deliberately?) filled with AlbumArt etc files

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx