gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 11:57:40 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Post your Information on WinMX Crashing Here
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Post your Information on WinMX Crashing Here  (Read 64714 times)

gues 6565

Post your Information on WinMX Crashing Here
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 06:48:24 pm »
^ i will be bit more specific..

im using windows xp sp2
got both peerguardian and sherwood
norton 2005 firewall

i uninstalled 3.54 beta, and installed 3.53 from intall 1.9 file..
i selected windows me as operating  system
after i agree on licence agreement, it starts to load but stops, and after that, nothing..
it just keeps that blanc screen, and i cant even close the program.. finally i had to shutdown computer.. i tried again, samething happened..
sorry about typeing errors, not that good in english:)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006, 07:02:23 pm »
gues,

Not sure what is causing this to happen, but it sounds like there are too many things being run at the time its trying to load.

First suggestion it to drop Sherwood, make sure that your peerguardian includes our block list from here:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/block_the_riaa.html

Sherwood is no longer being updated, and they where using this list on above link anyway when it was.. so your better off without using that for now.

Try that and let me know if you have any imporvments on the start up, there are also some settings we may be able to adjust but obviously we have to get WinMx to load and start for you first to change them..

innerpeace

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:13 pm »
Hi Me Here,  I'm also having problems.  I'm running XP SP2 with PG2.  I have NIS 2006 and use free adawareSE and Spybot.  I hardly ever surf when using MX but use IE 6.0.  I have recently installed WinAmp and Star Wars Battlefront.  Lol X-mas gift.  My secondaries started piling up after a search or download.  I keep everything up to date and have reinstalled WINMX, did a dns flush and whatever that scannow thing was to check windows lol.  Im hanging in there with you.  Did I here you correct to only use your block and allow lists for PG2.  Thats the only time I use the prog.  WinMx is sorta working now, but The bandwidth just is not the same.  Im using Cebridge Cable connection.  I hope this info helps and will be waiting for a solution.  The last download I have is from Dec. 23.   Thanx

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2006, 09:31:34 pm »
Hi innerpeace,

Yea, you are keeping up well.  
Yes you are correct that PG2 will work to block the riaa from your connection with only our block list.  The allow list is because PG2 lists have one of the peer cache numbers on it, and despite our pleas to remove it as legitimate they have not.  So if you disable their lists the allow list is not necessary anymore either.

As for the speeds, its possible that its just the traffic on the network lately, we are swamped with flooding over pie and hosts file users that are not protecting themselves or us, but it could also be a Cable issue.

One thing you may want to try is to change ports, this may or may not help your speeds.  Two ports that are working well for most users are 1720 TCP, and 3339 UDP.  Remember that if you made rules in a router or firewall this will also need to be changed to match these.  If you need more instructions on changing them, you will find tutorials on router, firewall, and WinMx on the link above here.

Also dont forget to be sure your not helping the RIAA DOS attack the primaries and get fakes in your searches.  Use the filter -user when you search for ANYTHING on the network right now, this may also be the cause of many files not downloading.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/filtering_fakes.html

Ok let me know how you get along with the port changes..

innerpeace

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2006, 07:19:07 pm »
I have changed the ports a couple of times and PG2 show blocks on all of the changes such a ports like 1720, 6257, 16257 and both udp and tcp.  They are really trying hard huh?  The 3.54b4 version is working now but ul and dl's are really slow.  I talked to ICEDRAGON last night and changed the host name lookup and applied a suggested patch for XP.  I noticed once today that my incoming bandwidth shot up and PG2 went crazy with blocks.  Is that a secondary doing an unprotected search?  Also I did a bandwidth test on my isp's home page and it showed 2.80 Mbps bandwidth and said that meant dl speed of 358.91 KB/sec.  Why the low dl speed? My cable modem is connected with ethernet.  Is there such a thing as only 1mbps ehternet? or just the 10mbps or higher?  I'm learning slowly... lol..  My ul's are so slow that they disconnect most of the time.

innerpeace

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2006, 08:41:45 pm »
I think I have figured out some of my problem.. I took a glance at my Peerguardian and I am in the source column... I am being blocked and this is not good.  It says I am sony, fugitsu, INFN etc..  Could this be why so many are crashing? Or is it just my luck.  I emailed Phoenix Labs today.  Any suggestions?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2006, 01:54:27 am »
Hmm thats certainly not good  :o

Luckily I checked your IP and you are not on the list  :D

I suspect you are just seeing the blocked UDP connections on the PG2 display, they can affect your connection if they send out enough "junk traffic" and thats called a "denial of service" (DOS) attack, illegal in most counries but something they still practice.

The other point you touch on is one of the problems with PeerGuardian having such a big list thats easy to get on and hard to get off.

Whilst users of the winmxgroup patch will not be facing such problems ( fake list flooders are blocked from connecting to you ), without a bespoke solution for flooding prevention we have had to ask host file users to run Peerguardian2 with our blocklist locking a few innocent folks out of the network  :(

innerpeace

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2006, 02:38:40 am »
Good news that I'm not on the list.  :)  It is the UDP connections.  It will say sony etc.  then my ip and a destination ip.  Is that what you meant?  I'm now trying a secondary connection and ul's get disconnected or reset.  I finally get people in que to upload off me and bam the next day nothing.. lol..  If you think of anything else that might help let me know.  Windows firewall is off and I'm using NIS 2006 and it is set to allow all for WinMX.  Cable guy was here today and checked connections and they were ok..

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2006, 03:01:08 am »
InnerPeace,
Yes that is what Ghost means, here is an explantion that we gave of it a several weeks back also.
Because the block comes from your machine that makes it the source.

https://forum.winmxworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=2528#2528

As for the problem, several users had problems with crashing recently, but to my knowledge most of those have been resolved.  If crashing is still a problem for you, what version of WinMx are you on now?

Or is it uploads that are a problem for you right now?
Also what Cable provider do you use?

innerpeace

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2006, 03:22:51 am »
I'm on Cebridge Connections.  I'm using 3.54b4 and its not crashing anymore, the individual ul/dl's speeds are much slower than they used to be.  for example 2 B/s average at best per user whether its ul's or dl's.  And thanks for the info on peerguardian..  I feel dumb right now, it is very scary seeing your own ip as a potential problem.  :? lol...

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2006, 03:56:36 am »
Well Innerpeace,

Let me just say sorry to you!!  The last thing we want anyone to feel is dumb, you asked a very good question, and one that others have had concerns with also.. so if our replys indicated it was a dumb question I am truely sorry..

We love folks to ask questions here and want you to feel free to ask anything you want, so please know that we did not intend for you to feel that way at all.

I am not familiar with that particular Cable company, the reason I asked is many Cable companies are shaping activity of your p2p, although WinMx is not the only one, its one of the favs to mess with.

It may be that changing ports would be helpful, but we cant be 100% sure of it, so it cant hurt to try tho.

Some ports that are working well right now are 1720 TCP and 3339 UDP, however we have a list of ports that are suitable to try here:
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=1206

Remember that if your using a router, dsl modem, or firewall that required you to set ports up, to change those also.

Let me know if this helps with your speeds any.

gues 6565

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2006, 08:40:51 am »
Windows xp sp2
norton internet security 2005
peerguardian 2
ad-aware
spybot

i tried to install winMX 3.53 as a ME/2000 user once again, without running peerguardian or sherwood at the same time, but samething happened.. once again got this blanc screen and then nothing:( it's getting a bit frustrating..
i have checked my system with norton antivirus, ad-aware and spybot but have'nt found any viruses etc..

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2006, 08:45:40 am »
gues are you connecting as secondary or primary?

gues 6565

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2006, 09:06:34 am »
either, since i cant even install the program.. before these crashes i was primary, then it started crashing and changed secondary and soon it started crashing too.. so i uninstalled 3.54beta and tried to install 3.53 as a 2000/ME, but it just dont work..

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2006, 09:18:09 am »
Okay Gues,

If your on XP it has a nifty little ability to repair system files.  You may need your system operating disk if it finds problems.

System File Checker - This is one of the most useful tools built into windows XP, it can be called into operation from the the command prompt (Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt/Dos Prompt ). Once you have the command prompt box open type  sfc/scannow  and hit enter.  

It will often require you to insert a operating system disk to make any repairs to the file system that it detects might be corrupt.

Try this then let me know if this helps..

gues 6565

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2006, 08:42:11 am »
well, i decided to re-install 3.54, and for some reason it seems to be working fine.. i'm uploading, downloading and searching and yet no crashes.. so lets hope that it stays that way..i'm runnin primary at the moment..

dirtbikindude

wont start up
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2006, 10:06:07 pm »
i have downloaded the patch for winmx. im using version 3.54 of winmx but it will not even open up the window for winmx. it automatically asks me to send in my problem right after i click on the winmx shortcut. is there anything i can do to get winmx up and running again?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2006, 10:10:17 pm »
Hi dirtbikindude,

I had this same problem, your hosts file is probably set to 'Read-Only'.. to protect it.

Xp go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder.. right click your Hosts file and choose to 'Properties' then untick the Read Only option.  Then reinstall the patch, KM is aware of this but for now that will get ya fixed up...

sadasdfdaf

WINMX CRASH
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2006, 10:20:34 pm »
YES i updated.  then it worked.

hahaaa

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2006, 10:35:50 pm »
winmx crashes.  i used the update downloaded.  start up today it crashes.  i use pg2 cav zap winmx 3.54 b4 xp home sp2

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Post your Information on WinMX Crashing Here

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx