gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 08:48:28 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  WINMX WORLD VS VLADD44
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WINMX WORLD VS VLADD44  (Read 25489 times)

KM

Re: WINMX WORLD VS VLADD44
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 11:58:11 pm »
erm, pie saved winmx... just look at the date they were formed :-)

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2006, 12:01:04 am »
 LOL that was sarcasm , but i do think i read it on google China or Vladd44 i forget which they are so much alike now a days.
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Sharecat5000

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 04:44:11 am »
Well now, mebbe i am wrong, but i think i smell a bit of ego runnin thru all this...

do Vladd and his team have an ego problem, worryin that they will lose face when ppl realise the inherent weakness in Pie and quit using it?

are some people tryin to take down KM cos mebbe they think his ego is a bit over-inflated? Ego dun matter if the .dll patch works better...

Yes, i tried both...

as for callin KM names and he could do crazy things, its a fine line between control and insanity... Hitler and others stepped over that line, and only sanity prevents others doin so

And as a general appeal folks: The whole debate has a sense of religion about it... remember that our computers, our internet, our music and WinMX are all just entertainment, but i detect a level of fervour from some that compares to the blind emotion that religion relies upon. Keep your feet on the ground folks and dont get too carried away. Hate to see this develop into one of those silly stoushes like christian v moslem, arab v jew, ireland v england etc etc...

and for Aussie readers... Go the Rabbitohs! where else would the bottom team in the League knock off the top team!

bughunter

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 10:54:02 am »
to a point you are right the argument does border on the fantical...........but then winmxworld care passionetly about mx and the community..........after all the new dll 3.0 patch only addresses the damage caused by pie patch to the network...........noone from pie has ever denied there pie patcch is solely responsible for 1 the fakes on the network 2 the flooding that leads to denial of service attacks on primaries and 3 the harvesting of ip addresses by riaa for possible futher legal action...........it is clear to everyone except pie that their patch has no place on winmx and that it should be withdrawn asap..........but no pie go on promting there special brand of disaster seemingly ignorant to the damage there pie patch does...........so it is clear in order to have a clean network which will attract both old and new users back to winmx that pie patch has to be eradicated from winmx...........riaa only need one unprotected pie patch user and the flooding the fakes and ip harvesting will continue.............so it is up to you the community to decide if you want a clean network or a continuation of the current situation..........if your choice is a clean network then do your part and discourage anyone from using a hosts file connection.....after all its in everyones best interest that pie are gone completely and forever......................

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 12:26:24 pm »
to a point you are right the argument does border on the fantical...........but then winmxworld care passionetly about mx and the community..........after all the new dll 3.0 patch only addresses the damage caused by pie patch to the network...........noone from pie has ever denied there pie patcch is solely responsible for 1 the fakes on the network 2 the flooding that leads to denial of service attacks on primaries and 3 the harvesting of ip addresses by riaa for possible futher legal action...........it is clear to everyone except pie that their patch has no place on winmx and that it should be withdrawn asap..........but no pie go on promting there special brand of disaster seemingly ignorant to the damage there pie patch does...........so it is clear in order to have a clean network which will attract both old and new users back to winmx that pie patch has to be eradicated from winmx...........riaa only need one unprotected pie patch user and the flooding the fakes and ip harvesting will continue.............so it is up to you the community to decide if you want a clean network or a continuation of the current situation..........if your choice is a clean network then do your part and discourage anyone from using a hosts file connection.....after all its in everyones best interest that pie are gone completely and forever......................

total bullshit, mischaracterization and fud

after all the new dll 3.0 patch only addresses the damage caused by pie patch to the network

The pie patch does no harm at all.  Hosts lists are what saved WPN and are still an excellent solution to connectivity.

noone from pie has ever denied there pie patcch is solely responsible for 1 the fakes on the network

You are blaming the victims.  No one is responsible for fake files on WPN except those that pit them there, the RIAA/MPAA mercenaries.

noone from pie has ever denied there pie patcch is solely responsible for 2 the flooding that leads to denial of service attacks on primaries

I am not from pie and don't use their specific patch - but I do deny your assertions.  Only the RIAA/MPAA and their stooge mercenaries bear responsibility for this DOS level flooding.  AFAIK, I am the first one that even suggested that this type of fake file flooding was in fact a form of infrastructure attack that could be classified as a DOS attack and should be the subject of criminal prosecution.  Get it straight.. the criminals responsible for these attacks are the RIAA/MPAA members who give orders and payment for it and their agents that carry out those orders.

noone from pie has ever denied there pie patcch is solely responsible for 3 the harvesting of ip addresses by riaa for possible futher legal action

What's to deny?  When has the pie patch lead to harvesting of IP addresses that has resulted in RIAA legal action?  Total red herring.  Whatever facility the RIAA has to harvest IP addresses, it works no less well with the DLL patch than the pie patch. 

it is clear to everyone except pie that their patch has no place on winmx and that it should be withdrawn asap..........but no pie go on promting there special brand of disaster seemingly ignorant to the damage there pie patch does

The patch causes no damage.  idiots shills like you cause damage by spreading lies and partisan disinformation.  The pie patch should not be withdrawn [just maintained better].  To leave the future connectivity to WPN subject to a single source is what is dangerous.  If that single source is compromised or attacked.. poof.. game over.  Just like when frontcode pulled the plug.   

so it is clear in order to have a clean network which will attract both old and new users back to winmx that pie patch has to be eradicated from winmx...........

It is not clear.  It is just another lie from you.  hosts lists like that provided by the pie group saved the day last september and continue to work fine today and will into the future.

riaa only need one unprotected pie patch user and the flooding the fakes and ip harvesting will continue

More bullshit.  Nothing one 'unprotected' pie patch user could do is capable of constituting a DOS attack based on flooding of chaff files.  And again, the red herring that implies falsely the DLL users IPs are safe from harvesting.

so it is up to you the community to decide if you want a clean network or a continuation of the current situation..........if your choice is a clean network then do your part and discourage anyone from using a hosts file connection.....after all its in everyones best interest that pie are gone completely and forever...

No.  It is in everyones interest to have multiple connectivity solutions.  Didn't you learn anything from the Irish Potato Famine?  Relying on a single source is what needs to be guarded against as it can be catastrophic.  Diversity is the best form of security and survivability.  Go eat some bugs great hunter.

The reality is...

If one connects as secondary to chat, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list.
If one connects as secondary to serve files, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list.
If one connects as secondary to search for non-chaffed files, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list.
If one connects as secondary to search for even pop files being chaffed, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list, if one merely adds -user to the search terms.
etc.

If one connects as primary to chat, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list, if a flooder blocklist is used.
If one connects as primary to serve files, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list, if a flooder blocklist is used.
If one connects as primary to search for non-chaffed files, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list, if a flooder blocklist is used.
If one connects as primary to search for even pop files being chaffed, it doesn't matter one iota whether one uses the DLL or a hosts list, if a flooder blocklist is used and -user is added to search terms.

Bottom line, all users, whether secondary or primary, should add '-user' to their search requests.

Primary users should run either the DLL or if using the hosts list such as pie patch with some flooder blocklist.

The DLL protects only winmx and only against a few known fake file flooder IPs.  It does nothing to filter out the numerous corporate domains owned by RIAA/MPAA types like sony, disney etc that can and are being used by their net cops to track down those who they claim are sharing 'their intellectual property'.  Only programs like PG2 with appropriate blocklists do that.  The DLL by itself leaves one totally exposed to these stalkers.

Blockers like PeerGuardian2 can use multiple blocklists to protect ALL of the p2p programs one might be using, not just winmx.  If one runs torrents and winmx, then PG2 would seem to be the best option to filter out RIAA/MPAA type invaders.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 01:10:57 pm »
It seems your perpetuating ignorance too Gnarly I had expected better of you.

Lets make this clear to all the readers here, as you seen not to want to admit this simply, the dll cannot be used to upload fake file lists, therefore the dll using folks cannot be used to launch denial of sevice attacks with fake listings, only host file users.

Every fake listed file on the WPN is allowed there by host file users is that clear enough ?

Yes we could all use Peer Guardian to block the other aspect of so called "enforcement" activities and I like to run this program myself but it alone is not up to the job of blocking fakes from the WPN for 3 reasons I shall lay out below

1) Many of the flooders are dynamic and appear within normal ISP ranges, this at first sight is not a problem until your range is the one being blocked, Blutak are notorious for refusing to unblock ranges once addded.
2) The delay in adding a detected number would negate the whole anti flooding system each time a new set of IP,s appeared and some days can have as many as 8 changes.
3) It can only update once a day, after reading the above you can appreciate this solution was tested over months and found wanting, a superior sytem is in place now.

Lets get down to the real reason for you defending the host file solution, fear, like vladd and the pie team you have determined that KM is the new bogeyman and are scared of the idea of him having control over the WPN, this seems to override any logical thought from you .

Your statement that the dll  blocks "only a few" of the fake flooders is pure ignorance, demonstrating you have not even tested it, it blocks 100% of them

For your information last week macrovision where flooding on multiple drive letters and file paths, this negates the -user filter, perhaps you where not aware of this but we where and action has been taken to remedy the situation in our favour.

I take umbrage with your ill informed statement regarding winmxgroup operations in general, there are reserve servers in place to replace any offline ones and as you are surely aware the dll does not use a fixed IP to connect and can be made to redirect to other sites ( by altering the dns information online ) that are on standy as has happened before in a test, scare stories are all well and good until measured against the truth.

The same truth that knows there was no "Pie" solution last september, Sabre, Hollowlife Ranma and others made the host file installers and "pie" peer caches with help from others, pie came about 1 week after that, please give the credit where its due. 

http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5579

If you have questions please just ask them, talking like a shill yourself loses folks respect for you.

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 01:42:48 pm »
When WinMX is started there is a ip hard coded in to the program that it looks for to connect to the cache server to the wpn, this server was taken off line back in sept. The host file not intercepts that and redirects it to a ip of a new cache server now on line. Anyone can mod. a host file to redirect to any ip they wish . Saying that does not mean it will work if there is no cache server there for the purpose of redrecting for the wpn. all the host file does is make a work around for the connection of mx. I don't see how this could ever be called a patch. The host file does nothing to stop anyone from connecting to you or you to them.Does nothing to filter fake files from search or flood files from search.

The dill does and updates server list with out having user intervention when a host is taken off line for any reason or added.

The dill never was made for all your programs and never has said that it was so the (The DLL protects only winmx and only against a few known fake file flooder IPs) is in your own words a (red herring).

Sure you can run a few other programs with mx and add a few words to search to reduce all thees problems. You could all so just stay off the net and go to best buy and buy all you need. But the idea of the dill is to make mx more user friendly compact and stand alone.

The ones that are hurt the most from using the host file are the host file users.they need to run other programs that use more memory to do what the dill. patch does. lets see down load mx install, down load pie host file install,down load pg install, check for updates each day.

Or down load mx install ,down load the dill install set it and for get it. Help stop fake files and flooding not have to check for updates all the time, only run one program if memory is a problem on your system.

which would you do?
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 01:51:20 pm »
Gnarly knowing your interest in security.. this one should come as quite the shock also:

bug:noone from pie has ever denied there pie patcch is solely responsible for 3 the harvesting of ip addresses by riaa for possible futher legal action

Gnarly:What's to deny?  When has the pie patch lead to harvesting of IP addresses that has resulted in RIAA legal action?  Total red herring.  Whatever facility the RIAA has to harvest IP addresses, it works no less well with the DLL patch than the pie patch.

Actually your both wrong.
The pie patch does not in any way harvest IPs however, the last I was informed the pie cache software does!!  (somehow I was removed from the PIE Memo mailing list..lol) Sabre's caches were infact harvesting IP addresses for 'future use'..and his cache and server are based in the great Untied States of America.. the land of the free and the Patriot Act   :shock:.. have fun sleeping at nite knowing that one..

It shocks me that folks continue to make claims and assumptions regarding the fakes or dll's blocking without knowing enough to comment.  I was quite sure nearly every technical and laymens aspect of fake files and flooding had been discussed freely here with the exception of how exactly we track them, for obvious reason.

I have offered and had posts deleted and been banned for trying even to explain this to the admins at Vladds site because its vitally important for you to have any conversations with me or the Admins of this site, regarding fake files, DOS attack, primary connection issues, and the like unless you have some resaonable knowledge about how it works...please do take the time to read through some of the information we have on fakes, new tactics we see, ways around them.. and even why this dll is superior to a hosts file solution and should be considered by anyone using this network as THE patch.

If folks have questions about this feel free to ask but dont assume ANYTHING.. and making statments based on assumptions is not usually your style Gnarly.

*EDIT* PS. they are experimenting with ghostng files into a real users browse now.. blocking that by filtering with words is just as impossible as blocking every drive leter imaginable .. the ONLY logical way to defeat the flooding is by IP!

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 02:02:53 pm »

No.  It is in everyones interest to have multiple connectivity solutions.  Didn't you learn anything from the Irish Potato Famine?  Relying on a single source is what needs to be guarded against as it can be catastrophic.  Diversity is the best form of security and survivability.  Go eat some bugs great hunter.

I still dont get how some folks cant see the importance of the valid point Gnarly makes, in my opinion pie needs to sort out the blocking issue correct, if that were addressed, the additional benefits of the .dll such as fake file filtering would be obsolete anyway as there would be no fakes to filter, and we would end up with the very best solution for Winmx, which is mulitple connection options and a fake free WPN, with no single person or entity have to much control.

Whether Pie get a blocking option in place or not, does not change the fact multiple connection options is the way to go. This is no difference to the same principal applied to the caches, do we need them all? no, is it sensible to have several, ofc.

It also does not change the fact that once you block the fakes, the Riaa will not simply leave us alone, a point i made many times many months ago, even though i was shouted down at the time, thankfully KM has at least ignored those folks and built in some provision for a change in Riaa stratagy, i doubt though even with forward planning it will be the end of the attacks against winmx users.  :shock:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 02:23:49 pm »
Nobby I agree a second team would be good for healthy competition and some folks nerves but as issues of trust keep arising we need those who can build such solutions to get on with it and do so, I feel for now the best solution by far is this patch, and believe it or not so do the public, the userbase is expanding again rather well, I am all for helping alternative patch makers but if folks want the kudos they must do the work.

You and vladd have both spoken publicly that the best solution should be the one used, are we to keep the network in the stone age to allow a soloution thats is no longer the best for the network and its users ??

Lets grasp this oppurtunity and also lay some seeds for others to catch up in the tech stakes, thats the future.

The host file solution has been doing its job but all must agree it is not the best solution at the present time, rar the beast and keep it safe if your nervous, I dont believe it will ever be required again but you have peace of mind at least.

We could sit here and debate what macrovision will do next week, next month etc but the fact is if your running an unprotected host file your doing their work for them now, can it be worse to take action and lets see them try their luck ?

Anything they do is going to be based within the protocol or winmx will ignore it, we think we have all the angles covered there, doing nothing is not a solution if they repeat the flooding on multiple paths and drives, why help the enemy ?

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2006, 04:38:51 pm »
Agreed.

Healthy competition is a GREAT thing. It provides balance.

However, the pie patch is not healthy competition. It is an anchor ensuring we can not continue to develop the network and community. If the pie team came up with some programmers to create a real patch with flood blocking ability, then it would be "GAME ON!" And everyone would be satisfied.  But let's get real for a moment: Anyone who can use notepad could write the pie patch! They need to come up with a new solution. A serious product. No one is against some competition, but it needs to be in the same ball field at least lol.

What we are faced with however, is an outdated method of reconnection that is crippling the network. (not saying the patch is flooding us, but it is allowing us to be flooded.) So in this regard, it really should be pulled until something more can be developed.

In fact, I agree 100% with nobby's comment on needing multiple connection methods. I agree so much I am proposing a challenge:

Someone take up the challenge of creating a new connection method, and include a way to block flooders. If it results in a viable product, then we will see some healthy competition after all!
This will also help to propel us out of the dark ages and promote new ideas for winmx.

Take care and be good,
Scyre

A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2006, 06:32:39 pm »
Someone take up the challenge of creating a new connection method, and include a way to block flooders.

:wink:

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2006, 10:49:29 pm »
Lets make this clear to all the readers here, as you seen not to want to admit this simply, the dll cannot be used to upload fake file lists, therefore the dll using folks cannot be used to launch denial of sevice attacks with fake listings, only host file users.

For those that connect as secondary, it doesn't matter.  For those who connect as primary with a hosts list, that use something like PG2 with the same flooder block list the DLL uses, they block the chaff flooders just as well.  And if they use additional block lists, they can block some of the spies too from connecting through their hub..

Every fake listed file on the WPN is allowed there by host file users is that clear enough ?

clear, but clearly not always true.  Even IF the means is available to detect chaff flooders immediately, isn't there some delay before that info gets set to all DLL users?  And if the PG2 users update to the same new listing, then they're doing a decent job blocking too.

Yes we could all use Peer Guardian to block the other aspect of so called "enforcement" activities and I like to run this program myself but it alone is not up to the job of blocking fakes from the WPN for 3 reasons I shall lay out below

1) Many of the flooders are dynamic and appear within normal ISP ranges, this at first sight is not a problem until your range is the one being blocked, Blutak are notorious for refusing to unblock ranges once added.
2) The delay in adding a detected number would negate the whole anti flooding system each time a new set of IP,s appeared and some days can have as many as 8 changes.
3) It can only update once a day, after reading the above you can appreciate this solution was tested over months and found wanting, a superior sytem is in place now.

1] using the fake-file-flooder block list does not require the PG2 users to use any blutack or other list. so, red herring.
2] Even DLL users are delayed getting the new info.  IF PG2 updated the FFF list often, its a relative match on this issue.
3] I am not convinced that daily updates would not be sufficient to frustrate the flooders.  I haven't used PG2 in a while, so can't speak to the update interval.  But there are several other blocklist managers out there AFAIK.  Maybe one of them can be configured to update more often, or their authors can be encouraged to modify the code to allow for this.  Seems to be a simple tech issue.

FYI, I asked the PG2 crew to maintain and offer a fake file flooder block list months before it ever became an issue here and long before support for this function was added into the DLL.  They were indifferent to my suggestion, so I am glad someone took the idea and ran with it.

Lets get down to the real reason for you defending the host file solution, fear, like vladd and the pie team you have determined that KM is the new bogeyman and are scared of the idea of him having control over the WPN, this seems to override any logical thought from you.

Certainly there are concerns over single source, no matter who it may be.  But fear?  naw.. in the big picture of life, winmx is merely a blip.  But since I am making use of it at the present, I am willing to contribute my thought energy to the cause.    As I said before, I have expressed my concerns openly and to KM himself as appropriate.  I see no need to revisit it further.

Your statement that the dll  blocks "only a few" of the fake flooders is pure ignorance, demonstrating you have not even tested it, it blocks 100% of them

I made no such statement in that post.  You are taking my words out of context and rephrasing it to something I did not say.

Quote from: gnarlysnarly
The DLL protects only winmx and only against a few known fake file flooder IPs.  It does nothing to filter out the numerous corporate domains owned by RIAA/MPAA types like sony, disney etc that can and are being used by their net cops to track down those who they claim are sharing 'their intellectual property'.

I did not say the DLL filters only a few of the IPs known to be used for chaff flooding. I said it filtered  "a few known fake file flooder IPs", a few compared to the volumes of IPs on the common p2p blocklists.

iow, i was saying the new DLL only filtered chaff file flooders but not any of the other p2p type IPs of concern which PG2 can also block for higher net and user security.

For your information last week macrovision where flooding on multiple drive letters and file paths, this negates the -user filter, perhaps you where not aware of this but we where and action has been taken to remedy the situation in our favour.

great.  did they stop using a \user\ folder all together now?  I based my comments on the info known at the time.  I never suspected or claimed they didn't use any alternative formats.  I am certainly open to any changes that will occur in the future.  But -user has been a folder name used by most? of the chaff flooders for ages and it is still being used today AFAIK.  They know we know, it has been well publicized here, but they are still using it.  Certainly I would expect them to make that minor change when blocking is more effective.  When that happens, then we can cross that bridge.

I take umbrage with your ill informed statement regarding winmxgroup operations in general, there are reserve servers in place to replace any offline ones and as you are surely aware the dll does not use a fixed IP to connect and can be made to redirect to other sites ( by altering the dns information online ) that are on standy as has happened before in a test, scare stories are all well and good until measured against the truth.

Take what you will.  I am trying to present an objective balanced view.  I am not married to either camp so that I only have one sales pitch and only give slanted subjective spiels.

I said nothing about the winmxgroup servers or their backup capabilities.  Read closer.  winmx.com had 120 hostnames for its banks of peer cache servers.  but when winmx.com turned out the lights, they all went poof right?  Its not simply a matter that you have redundant servers located in multiple political jurisdictions.  The DLL filters all the traffic through ONE TLD, winmxgroup.com.  I assume one person controls all the IP DNS assignments for the winmxgroup.com cache server right?  single source.  vulnerable.  Now, instead of winmx.com being hardcoded into the process, winmxgroup.com is.  And if some hack or legal or illegal process compromises access and or control of the winmxgroup.com domain name etc, well, same boat.  The fact that it is presently pointing to 4 separate IP cache server locations is not the issue at all.  They are all funneled through winmxgroup.com by the DLL and that is why it has single source vulnerability issues.

The same truth that knows there was no "Pie" solution last september, Sabre, Hollowlife Ranma and others made the host file installers and "pie" peer caches with help from others, pie came about 1 week after that, please give the credit where its due.

http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5579

By nature I tend to be more of a [usually constructive] criticizer than a simplistic backslapper.  INTJs are like that.  I have no qualms about giving credit where due, though I tend not to be gushy about it.  As to the scrambling last September.. no single person did it all that I can see.  Help came pouring in from all around the world.  Some public, some private.  Many lesser known persons provided some technical tidbits and wherewithall to make it happen.  Certainly, the PIE team did not exist by that name, but neither did winmxgroup.  Both of those names were adopted after winmx.com pulled the plug.  But most of the persons that later created the PIE name were involved early on.  And I do not deny that KM was in the game early either.  IIRC, the first host list to be released was a product of KM and DRAC, perhaps others.  But it was buggy. :)  I discovered several typos that were never fixed even though I promptly notified KM about them.  Not that it really mattered much.  There were enough redundant correctly listed hostnames to make it work.  And it soon became obsolete, replaced by a modified hostlist using 2 IPs.  Later many more were added.  And I have long praised the multi-host format of the KM/DRAC host list.  Before that I never knew you could have an OP on a line with several hostnames.  I still use that idea in my current host list, though with an optimized format, once I learned from another person in the know how winmx.com applied the regional subdomains etc.  And after I kept publicising that feature, even the PIE group adopted it in their host file, though the way they do it is far from optimal IMPO.

If you have questions please just ask them, talking like a shill yourself loses folks respect for you.

I do ask, as you should know.  If you don't, ask KM about me asking questions :)

And I do test for KM when I can and it helps.  I have long used his WCS chat server and pestered him with my buglists and wishlists.  And v1.7.4 works great for me.  v1.8b4 is still too buggy to use on my win98 box, regardless of the fact that it runs flawlessly on his test box. :p

And as you well know I tested the early versions of the v3 DLL patch.  I'm even using it right now on one of my systems.  I don't need it or its new features, as I seldom search and download over winmx and usually connect as a secondary.  host files are fine for such usage.  but you never seem to admit that.

My rebuttal of bughunters ridiculous rant might not have come accross as balanced, but it was balancing none the less I think.  but hey.. look what i have to think with! 

KM

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2006, 12:22:12 am »
peer guardian is NOT effective at blocking flooders, allowing them to continue using you for 24 hours is helpful? yes, of course... what does it matter? they only need to change 1 flooders IP Address every 24 hours and they can continue to use you to flood non stop - whilst at the same time you are denying thousands (tens of thousands?) of legitimate winmx users from being able to connect, how nice of you to only allow macrovision on to the network and nobody else...

-user will still filter for many searches however they have already stopped using it for others so it is not effective at filtering fakes (even ignoring the thousands of legitimate users it filters), using it can still help to reduce the flood of traffic for now but it certainly does not filter all fakes

and the dll uses multiple domain names for the cache hostnames, this is to prevent a technical failure on one domain name causing everything to go down - there is no issue at all with "them" just taking over a domain name, as that can not happen - no countries government has ever even attempted to try and shut down a domain name within a GTLD, the only government that could possibly have the technical ability to do so will not because of the outrage it would cause, governments can only censor domain registrations within their countries TLD

and the issue of things being shut down... what do you think is more likely? they will seize 1 US based server (rock's cache on 209.67.209.50) then simply knock 1 cable connection offline using force (lep's cache on 82.43.224.20 - which they could easily either use force, or just send an email to the abuse department pointing out that it is being used to host a server as part of a profit making website, which would be against the AUP... they'd only need to keep it offline for 24 hours to force an IP change) - rendering the current hosts file on that minor website completely useless, or do you think they will risk disrupting the entire internet and possibly having their country locked out of the internet (as has been threatened by several major providers) by trying to shut down a couple of international domain names? perhaps now you see why winmx has always used a DNS based system to prevent being shut down by force...?

and if for some reason you think that the US government would risk trying to shut down multiple international domain names, well the US, UK and Swedish governments (with the support of others) working together couldn't do it to TPB - so what makes you think the US government alone could?

bughunter

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2006, 12:29:11 am »
s**t for brains as obvious by your stupid statements..............you clearly have little idea about how either the wpn works of how the dll works.........as for pg2 being a effective block lmfao
..........wat colour is the sky in your world...............pg2 without winmxworlds blocklist is almost totaaly ineffective as most of riaa /mpaa dont even appear on pg2 block lits...............and more to the point pg2 brings with it as many problems as it resolves..........but you clearly dont know this or you wouldnt make such stupid posts,..........but then of course your a pie maggot and as such lack a functioning brain.........like all those involved in pie..........you would be better served actually studying how the wpn works and more importantly how the dll works before making such stupid and ridiculus statements which only go to show you have no understanding of either..............but then your nothing but a maggot so i guess we have to make allowances for the mentally challanged such as your self........................................

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2006, 01:05:34 am »
s**t for brains as obvious by your stupid statements..............you clearly have little idea about how either the wpn works of how the dll works.........as for pg2 being a effective block lmfao
..........wat colour is the sky in your world...............pg2 without winmxworlds blocklist is almost totaaly ineffective as most of riaa /mpaa dont even appear on pg2 block lits...............and more to the point pg2 brings with it as many problems as it resolves..........but you clearly dont know this or you wouldnt make such stupid posts,..........but then of course your a pie maggot and as such lack a functioning brain.........like all those involved in pie..........you would be better served actually studying how the wpn works and more importantly how the dll works before making such stupid and ridiculus statements which only go to show you have no understanding of either..............but then your nothing but a maggot so i guess we have to make allowances for the mentally challanged such as your self........................................

Who suggested using PG2 without the fake file flooder block list?  twit

Of you read a little, you would see I am not a member of pie and I don't use their hosts list.

As to my understanding of the DLL, if I understand what KM just said, he has finally incorporated some changes I suggested long ago to address a vulnerability I exposed and expressed.  Strange how things get improved eh?

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00:19 am »
peer guardian is NOT effective at blocking flooders, allowing them to continue using you for 24 hours is helpful? yes, of course... what does it matter? they only need to change 1 flooders IP Address every 24 hours and they can continue to use you to flood non stop - whilst at the same time you are denying thousands (tens of thousands?) of legitimate winmx users from being able to connect, how nice of you to only allow macrovision on to the network and nobody else...

Since when has macrovision plugged so many ports that all normal users were denied connection?  Let's stop making over the top claims ok?

As to the level of flooding....  What number and/or percentage of WPN connections are due to the RIAA/MPAA/macrovision fake file flooders?

What percentage of the over all WPN packet traffic is attributable to those fake file flooders?

Has this ever been investigated and documented at all? if you know.

As I said, IF PG2 as currently designed can update at most once each 24 hours... and that is modified to update more often, wouldn't it then be substantially as effective as the DLL as to blocking connections from the FFF?

-user will still filter for many searches however they have already stopped using it for others so it is not effective at filtering fakes (even ignoring the thousands of legitimate users it filters), using it can still help to reduce the flood of traffic for now but it certainly does not filter all fakes

I haven't tested lately, since I'm using the DLL on this machine now.. but last week when i did test the hosts file, I got 5000+ hits on known fake file trigger words.  When I did the same test with -user added, I got only 21 hits.

I can reinstall my hosts file and test more.  What are some of the fake file trigger words which do not contain paths with 'user'?

and the dll uses multiple domain names for the cache hostnames, this is to prevent a technical failure on one domain name causing everything to go down - there is no issue at all with "them" just taking over a domain name, as that can not happen - no countries government has ever even attempted to try and shut down a domain name within a GTLD, the only government that could possibly have the technical ability to do so will not because of the outrage it would cause, governments can only censor domain registrations within their countries TLD

Ah.. so the new DLL doesn't use cache[0-9].winmxgroup.com anymore for hostname substitutions?  Multiple TLD you say?  That's a step in the right direction.  Took long enough.  I seem to recall suggesting that be done when the first DLL came out.

But even with that significant improvement, it still does not address all of the single source concerns.  Nothing personal, but if any of the hardcoded domain substitution hostnames needs to be changed.. it all depends on you.  If you are not available to do it for any reason, the users can't do anything about it themselves.  except install a hosts list with the IPs of whatever safe and secure cache servers are available.

and the issue of things being shut down... what do you think is more likely? they will seize 1 US based server (rock's cache on 209.67.209.50) then simply knock 1 cable connection offline using force (lep's cache on 82.43.224.20 - which they could easily either use force, or just send an email to the abuse department pointing out that it is being used to host a server as part of a profit making website, which would be against the AUP... they'd only need to keep it offline for 24 hours to force an IP change) - rendering the current hosts file on that minor website completely useless, or do you think they will risk disrupting the entire internet and possibly having their country locked out of the internet (as has been threatened by several major providers) by trying to shut down a couple of international domain names? perhaps now you see why winmx has always used a DNS based system to prevent being shut down by force...?

and if for some reason you think that the US government would risk trying to shut down multiple international domain names, well the US, UK and Swedish governments (with the support of others) working together couldn't do it to TPB - so what makes you think the US government alone could?

Its been done.

Not long ago, someone in the USA published an expose of the bush family-ben ladin family connections.  Old news.. it was even on a mainstream TV network for a few hours before being yanked.  So massive police raid and computer confiscation.  His domain name registration records were fudged as expired and unpaid and some front company in Hong Kong snapped it up.  He has cancelled checks to prove he had paid the renewal fees.  No matter.   the domain is now in 'their' hands.

I believe there are many other occurrences of domain theft/misappropriation, using whatever means to pull it off.  sleep well.

bughunter

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2006, 02:15:01 am »
your as much a pie maggot as vladd is.........so please stop with the sqealing like a stuck pig.............your whole post was nothing more then total crap..............as km and i both pointed out your sadly either outta touch or simply have a very poor understanding of how winmx the wpn work and how the dll acts as a intermediatry.................as isaid you would be better served studying and finding out how the wpn work ,why winmx uses domain names ,im sure if you actually asked either km or quicks the hows and the whys they would be more then happy to help.......................but oh no like a stupid pie maggot that you are you fire your mouth off before wat ever it is that you use for a brain is engaged..............your statements amount to as much as saying the earth is flat..........when everyone else knows its round.............thats how silly your statements were.............but ya biggest mistake was coming to winmxworld forum in the first place and posting what you did...........km wil always rip you a new asshole and shove ya head up it as wil i or quicks.........just both km and quicks are more tactfull then my self...........but putting that all aside on both km,s and josh,s websites you will find some very usefull tutorials on how the wpn actually works and so from that you can figure out how the dll works in protecting both uses and how it stops fakes from being listed..............pg2 was always a short term solution to the problems facing this network and should never be looked upon as a final solution as km stated pg2 combined with - user will help reduce the fakes that show in a search ........but already riaa are adapting and changing there tactics.....so km changed how the dll works in order to meet this changing needs........and this will go on dll 3.0 isnt the final solution but it goes a hell of a long way to addressing the immediate concerns of the winmx community and uses alike..........pie patch is simply now a out of date dinosaus, and it cant be fixed to meet changing needs.........and so needs to be withdrawn...............fake files has brought winmx to the point of almost total collaspe and its user base to only a few.........if your serious about growing winmx then there is only one course of action at the present time....and thats the dll.........the sad reality of pie is that you cant be sure if a pie patched user will even turn pg2 on ,make sure its running winmxworlds block list and that its kept up to date  all a big ask for most who dont really give a shit as long as they can dl files..........

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2006, 03:12:33 am »
Gnarly You can make exceptions to every statement made anywhere but the facts are clear enough.

PG2 is not the best solution for use with the blocklist in its current state, the speeding up a few months ago of IP rotation was a warning and so was the multiple drives/ file paths seen last week, we have chosen not to hide our heads in the sand and relying on IF,s helps no one.

I hope from Nobbys wink that a project is under way to diversify connection and protection methods but as already stated the dll does the job well and its here now, the future is always going to be in the lap of the gods but a clean mx is in our hands now if we seize the opportunity.

I hope this picture from your post clears up the mystery of what was or was not said regarding the flooder blocking being effective.

KM

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2006, 03:43:13 am »
gnarly: please can you explain to me how i use -user to remove all of the fake results again? i must be doing it wrong...

put it in the second box is how they say to do it, right?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  WINMX WORLD VS VLADD44

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx