gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 04:55:42 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  A year ago...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A year ago...  (Read 6630 times)

KM

A year ago...
« on: September 23, 2006, 07:02:08 pm »
A year ago today users started reconnecting to the WPN, this was due to a hosts file being released using my peer cache I had running at the time (the infamous 82.195.155.5... now offline) - since that day users have been using my caches to get connected to the network. Well, I think it's time to put a stop to that!

I think it is about time that caches stopped being operated by 1 person - thankfully it hasn't happened yet, but there is always the possibility that something could go seriously wrong with the caches, if it were to happen then it would leave users unable to connect to WinMX, and I would be the only person able to resolve whatever went wrong. This is fine if I happen to be on the computer at the time, but I do need sleep!

The next logical step in the development of WinMX is to decentralise the cache operations a bit - not only should this mean that if something goes wrong then more than one person can do something about it, but it also means I can spend more money on chocolate ;-)

That is why I am releasing a fully functional peer cache to the public, and looking for 3 or 4 users to host caches 24/7 for use as live servers (ie. handling real traffic from users).

In theory it wouldn't be hard to find hundreds of users willing and able to operate caches (as you'll see from the requirements below) - however realistically 3 or 4 reliable caches is always going to be much better than several hundred, for various reasons. That is why only a couple of caches are required, so before you all jump in "hey I'll host one if it will help out" - it's not that desperate!

Of course there are several ways this could turn out very badly, that is why I have taken several precautions - safety nets if you like, that should reduce the risk of this having negative effects. The initial peer cache software being released is not the software currently running on my caches, and is not as effective for network wide efficiency.

Requirements for the currently released cache software (if all goes well there will be other requirements for a future version):

Online 24/7, either a public IP Address or NAT which does not modify the source port of replies. If in doubt about if your NAT does that or not, just assume it does and is unsuitable. Note: my workstation falls in to the unsatisfactory category, so don't feel to bad about it.
At least 200kbit of spare upload bandwidth (it uses a little less than that but just to keep some free)
Lag free connection - If your connection often lags for whatever reason (normally due to p2p applications using all upload bandwidth)
Preferably not a employee of an anti-p2p organisation.
Windows or Linux/Unix
Not running any software that blocks large number of users (for example peer guardian with the default block lists) - all users should be able to access the cache.

How to:
1. download cache software (attached)
2. run cache software (attached)
3. tell me your host name (a host name that resolves to your IP Address - if you have a dynamic IP Address then I recommend dyndns.org or no-ip.com with an automatic client to keep it updated pointing to your IP Address)

[edit]Updated to v1.1[/edit]

Faithless_Sniper

Re: A year ago...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:38:48 pm »
I really like where you are going with this KM however is it possible to do some testing of my own like making sure that WinMX connects to me could you make a test patch for like local host tesing ifso please do as i wanna test it my end and pass it on to see who can help.

KM

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 07:51:32 pm »
I'm lazy so why not just use a modified hosts file? lol

Code: [Select]
127.0.0.1 cache0.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache1.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache2.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache3.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache4.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache5.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache6.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache7.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache8.winmxgroup.com
127.0.0.1 cache9.winmxgroup.com

127.0.0.1 cache0.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache1.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache2.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache3.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache4.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache5.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache6.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache7.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache8.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache9.winmxgroup.net

127.0.0.1 cache10.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache11.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache12.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache13.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache14.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache15.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache16.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache17.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache18.winmxgroup.net
127.0.0.1 cache19.winmxgroup.net

127.0.0.1 blocklist.winmxgroup.net

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 08:16:26 pm »
i copied everything you have wrote in your post and for some reason winmx will not connect could you explain why. I know i made a strange request but i wanna see if this really works.

KM

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 08:21:30 pm »
cache running on the same PC (aka 127.0.0.1)? that hosts file is for a patched winmx btw

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 08:23:28 pm »
so i keep your patch installed and also modify the hosts file

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:33:22 pm »
I have winmx 3.54 beta 4 with the winmxworld patch i modified the host file and WinMX will not connect i have disabled all firewalls and still nothing

KM

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:43:44 pm »
best suggestion then is not running the cache then if you can't get it to work... hell if you need help to even get it working in the first place then it kind of defeats the point of setting it up so you can fix problems yourself without me having to be around whenever anything breaks

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 08:46:40 pm »
yeah i am working on it now if i get it sorted i will tell you lol sorry to ask i just thought as i was testing it you may help but i see your point. lol

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 08:56:02 pm »
i got it working robomx connects to my local peer but winmx does not

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 09:22:40 pm »
Perhaps the cache needs live primary IP,s to pass on to winmx and they are not being obtained properly in your current setup ?

I would give up the test idea until more is known regarding how this works or you employ the nushi sniffer to try to resolve what the problem is.

Offline Maxe

• WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 11:31:23 pm »
Thanks for this KM. I'm up and running and bluetack have another IP (or ISP as I'll go through their entire list of static IP's and then onto there dynamic ones if need be)  to add to their blocklist :twisted: :twisted:

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 11:45:08 pm »
A concerned user directed me to a post on vladds where Ome Leo is demonstrating his ignorance of how winmx works, I paid him a visit to ask what him why he though a peer cache is capable of attacking anyone and he responded like this by muting and then kicking me, grow up Ome and stop spreading BS, winmx is a decentralised network.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 11:56:16 pm »
an incredibly far fetched idea?;

build a mini peer cache into the winmx .dll patch itself.... so if absolute worse came to worse IP addresses of winmx users could be passed around through the IM services to allow connections to be made....

even more far fetched;

a modified version of the GAIM (or similar) multi-IM client that worked with the afore-mentioned .dll to automatically use the various IM services to pass IPs around.... bet that would piss the ppl at AOL off... AOL vs. Time Warner? .... that would definitly be an interesting case... ;)

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 03:26:51 am »
A concerned user directed me to a post on vladds where Ome Leo is demonstrating his ignorance of how winmx works, I paid him a visit to ask what him why he though a peer cache is capable of attacking anyone and he responded like this by muting and then kicking me, grow up Ome and stop spreading BS, winmx is a decentralised network.
I'm sorry GS, think you must have entered the room just before I closed it for a system reboot. Nobody is kicked banned or muted ifrom/in that room.

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 04:24:57 am »
 Well i for one would like to thank Km for releaseing the server software.Close to a year ago i stated the first person that did release a program for all the users would prove to me they only cared about the users and Winmx in general.

It is a shame that some people are now trying to do as they all ways do and put fear in to the users about this server. But we have all seen for years that this is how they try to stay in control, By fear.

First it was you cant trust Km he will kill mx,I think we all can agree this hasnt happened.His servershave never let any user down.

Then it was and to a point still is the its illegal to block the flooders. And we all know this is wrong. In the last few weeks now due to looseing a large part of their users they now say they have a new patch that does just that block flooders. Its really hard for me to understand how for a year they say its illegal but now they are going to block.

Now they are trying to make more accusations about the server software. More fear. Just as every thing they have said in the past has been shown as wrong this too will be shown as wrong.

And id like to thank Vladd and his pie team with out them makeing so many false accusations , and being proven wrong so many times ,They have helped The DLL file become the number 1 form of connection for WinMX.

All and all the conduct of this site , by helping every user DLL  and Pie  stay connected and adressing all their post on the forum with out belittling them as other forums have  has made this forum number 1 in help for WinMX. This has been a good year for the users.
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 06:51:17 am »
3 Cheers for KM!

if km => 21
buy km alcoholic drink

else
buy km soda ;)

fi

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 08:37:49 am »
Yeah i for one would like also to thank KM. KM as done alot for the WinMx Network and he keeps on making the Network better and more secure. Thank you to everyone here at WinMx World for helping users stay connected.

All beers on me

KM

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 09:23:12 pm »
A bug was found in the cache program released, I've edited the first post to include an updated version (might as well call it 1.1?) which should fix the bug.

Btw, I think we should have enough caches now for active use - although of course I've released the software now, so might as well release the bug fixes too...

I guess I should say thanks on behalf of the users to the following (who are hosting them):

Snippy (who claims he is called Josh not Snippy)
Nylly
MaXe
Tiny4eva

My caches are of course still online - 3 of them anyway (I have closed the cache on andromeda) however if all goes well I should be able to reduce this, operate fewer caches myself and then possibly have more user operated caches to replace them. Watch this space.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 12:09:29 am »
Great Work KM , Thanks for what you have done for the network in the past year. :D
This is good for WinMX  if yours or Pies caches servers ever go offline  or get busted god forbid that from happening  , we'll have other cache servers  that could be used to replace them.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  A year ago...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx