gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:05:43 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?  (Read 17689 times)

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:58:41 pm »
Ok all with all the goings on here i have set up a simple little poll on what you think.
No one needs to add a comment if this wish not to.
And this in NO way is a poll on what will happen if more say yes then say no or vise verser.
I am just curious to see how many wish the patch to be made open source and how many dont want it open source NOT there reasons why (unless there vaild and not just a rant at anyone)
Lets see how many are even concerned at what happens with a fix or not i say....

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:26:25 pm »
I'm worried at the prospect of opening the source, such coders as winmx have are trying to assure us that it's not dangerous, wouldn't expose exploits that could be used against winmx etc.

This is great as far as it goes, but with respect, those coders are stretched producing a patch that works, they can see no holes..

but what's important is what holes the top consultants who our opposers can hire with pocket-change might find, i don't question the dedication of those coders we have, i just don't want to bet winmx's existance on their being right about no holes or exploits, when there is no need whatsoever to do so

their code will still work if compiled & released without the sources being published, we can lose NOTHING keeping it closed, but a mistake could cost us EVERYTHING opening it.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 11:36:55 pm »
I just think that by releasing it we would be tempting fate & every idiot going would just love to have a crack at it (including cartells & other groups) & can see nothing to be gained by doing so

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:01:19 am »
to be fair.. it would remove some of the excuses pie have used for distrusting us, may even stop some few of them doing so, while the others scramble to invent new excuses which hold as little water as the existing ones.. they don't distrust us from lack of openness or information, who hasn't answered everything they asked honestly?

they distrust us through hatred, if we remove one excuse, that hatred will motivate them to rapidly find new excuses
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:46:56 am »
i simple dont have the knowledge about the whole opensource thing to make an educated vote so  i voted "not sure"

im trying to educate myself about the whole opensource thing by reading and asking yet i am still not educated enough to say its a bad or a good thing.... uptill now all i can say is it has its good and its bad things...or atleast thats as far as i can see and understand...i do however feel concerned about the patch and ownership of said patch. As i understand it now it is still KM's patch and what is there to prevent him stopping us ussing it... or maybe i have understood it wrong ? I do think there should be a solution to that problem....if that solution should or shouldnt be opensource...right now i dont know.

ALice
If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:30:21 am »
100% No   

As most opposed have stated already...why even risk the chance
and possibly give the riaa ideas they haven't yet thought about.
i agree that a universally patched winmx used by all would help
to put winmx back on the map again,but with that said,by releasing
the sourcecode for the riaa to go over with a fine tooth comb,
searching for any kind of vulnerabilities that could be used
to their advantage, is risky business.

And on the other hand we have
the Pie Team, who in the past stated that blocking was illegal
and had no inclination of blocking or filtering.Not only that,
but as bughunter mentioned in another post, these people are
hellbent on either controlling or destroying winmx.At what
lengths would they go to,to achieve this? infiltrating winmxworld
and becoming all buddy buddy? or even becoming new admins of
winmxworld?

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 07:18:57 am »
I'm strictly against opensource

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline sIrMoOn

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 06:31:03 am »
at the risk of having chairs thrown at me lol, i was one of the few who voted yes = )

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 07:27:44 am »
no worries sIrMoOn as TheMacDaddy said its just to vote not to rant at someone
could i also ask some of the 169 ppl that have already looked at this topic plz also place there votes

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 08:18:58 am »
I dont mean to be a smartass here but i think out of the 169 people that have read the topic...theres not a lot of people that actauly know what opensource means or how it would affect them (or care for that matter) hence they would be unable to vote on the pole. im sure if they had known they would have made a vote for or against by now ;)
If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 09:41:13 am »
i dont mean to be a smartass either but isnt that what the not sure is for  :wink:

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 10:19:07 am »
Yes, proving it uses the safe code and does not mimic KMs unsafe method.

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:59:44 am »
that could be said of all the options though :wink:

Micromecca

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 10:19:05 pm »
Please continue to use this thread for its original purpose, place your vote and feel free to exaplin why

All other content from this thread has been moved to: https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=5512.0.html

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
Re: POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 10:56:51 am »
I voted not sure. Honestly I think if the patch is opensource  then no matter how much you can claim it's unbreakable it's still breakable as time has proven over n over again. Could opensource make the network stronger? Yes I think it could in many ways. Somewhere out there is someone smarter than all of us put together and say this person reads the source and says "you know what? this could do so much better as scuh way." . And wham you now have a superb patch. And yes, 2 of the groups working somewhat together can collectively do more than 2 seperated groups. Proven fact. More manpower = more productivity. Can it hurt the network? Yes I say without a doubt it can. The only reason most things go unbroken is because noone USUALLY tries to fix them when they aren't unless they want to break it. If it fails and it gets broken it will most likely be unrecoverable. Other day I had a woman come in looking for help. Simple router config would've fixed her but she also told me she was using pie patch 3.5. I suggested that she use the dll patch to ensure she had the best filtering and blocking chances she could have. Her explaination to me is "I'm on patch 3.5! Why would I want to go back to a 3.0 patch?" To her the patch didn't matter as long as it worked.I didn't push or force the issue, but I still tried to help. My point being is if we go with an opensource patch and it fails and the cartel find a way to screw the pooch on it, good luck going back to our current solution. Most aren't gonna fool with it and we'll be out new users and old alike. Open or closed I feel not for me to decide because honestly even if you pointed out why my insecurities are unwarrented I wouldn't have the first clue what I was looking at. So I'll cross my fingers, hope for a good choice, and wait and see like all the rest.
I wanted to add, if both parties interested could see the source of the patch and know its inner workings, then where is the harm in keeping the source to ourselves as long as WE know it's good, and WE know it works?
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 11:53:00 am »
there are a couple of things some folks are forgetting......

1  the cartel dont need to find any exploit in any patch as they have a open door thru sabre

2  any patch wether open or closed will be sent to berkley by the cartel for analysis anyways its highly unlikely they are going to find anything better then what they already get thru sabre........

3  if the new patch being open source helps to bring the majority of winmx together going in one direction then surely thats got to be better then the current situation where we are constantly fighting and bickering.......

4 open source allows others to work on improveing things for us all and of course prevents the one person in controll scenerio.......

5  closed source doesnt protect winmx as some think because of point 2 and leads to the finger pointing and accusations that we currently have......

6 i see this as a opportunity for us to improve winmx for everyone, only question is do we have the courage to sieze the moment......

7 im not normally a big fan of open source but in this case i think its what is best for winmx in the long run..........so my vote is for open source.........but im happy to go with what the majority want either way............

dazco

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 03:10:07 pm »
my vote is no to open source  why fix what aint broke and works well and why give the riaa the amunition to take mx down if there is a way !  plus open source patch in my opion is only because its what the pie team want i cant think of any other reason why the dll patch should be open source the dll closed source has worked fine plz keep things as they are

*edit by Micro to restore Dazco's original post (Sorry daz it went to the other thread went the topic was split, you vote did remain)

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 03:50:12 pm »
I say open scr it

The reason i say open is because all the issues with the dll now are because KM has withdrawn his support (for his own reasons)
We need something in place that is for all to use and if open scr is the answer then hell yes lets go for it
As we all know if the Riaa/Mpaa wanted to attack us they will find a way through any patch  open or closed scr and lets face it here were the ones keeping a network alive that they closed....

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 11:19:19 pm »
I don't think it should be open source. There are way too many reasons to not let that genie out of the bottle and once it is done there is no turning back.

The reasons to open source it do not override the reasons not to.

Hope this helps

Best regards, and Be Good,
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline LazyRosa

• Forum Member
  • Hear...forget, See...remember, Do...understand
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 12:36:54 am »
There are good arguments for and against open source.
I am not qualified to make the definitive judgment.
I am just a humble user who believes MinMx serves a good purpose and should continue to exist.

So I put this proposition to those more expert than I, and ask them to consider it.....

Democracy is government by the people, for the people.
Democracy is strongest where government is open, not secretive.
Sometimes it is not convenient (for the politicians) to be open.
Honourable politicians accept this inconvenience.

Which form of government is more likely to survive?
Which would the community prefer?

Is there a WinMX community parallel in this consideration?

LazyRosa

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx