gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 09:12:29 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?  (Read 17726 times)

Micromecca

Re: POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 02:50:29 pm »
Agreed (some people just dont listen)

Please keep discussion to this thread: https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=5512.0.html

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 04:04:10 pm »
just one flaw in that micro that thread is locked  :wink:

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 05:16:52 pm »
* Me Here puts on the referee stripes AGAIN...

The other thread is indeed locked and quite frankly Hell you are one of the reasons it is along with others.  I really had hoped that ppl could control themselves a bit and let others who have not had a chance to post share their views, after all its pretty obvious already who those repeating posters are and that they are against or for this..

Its not going to change anyone's minds either way to inflame and beat upon each other here is it?

I would also like to say, that site policy is not dictated to or by anyone here, I follow my gut on issues and Im human, and if that's not good enough move on.

For the record and only because i feel it IS relevant to the topic at hand (only barely) 

KM gave no warning what so ever of his plans to shut down the caches and leave thousands stranded.  The room was taken off of the server We paid for because he had locked me out of the room configs and was making adjustments to things, which btw was a last straw for me as it had been going on in other ways for months.  Once moved to a server he couldn't control, he then posted in the room (and I have logs if that's what this has come down to to prove what I say), in action text a comment about 'KM puts up stolen post it notes to start deleting files in the morning'.  We here immediately began backing the site up as Im sure you'll agree that is not saying anything about caches, Ive had enough, I need to move on, I have issues.. I am going to be doing this.. etc.   And before you all say 'oh shes just upset with him and lying about this', I have talked to him a few times since and this is indeed whats got him upset, coupled with other issues that seemed unresolved to him WinMX just isnt fun anymore..

You should also note this isn't the first time hes said stuff like this in the room and the results were not a shut down of winmxgroup, but a rest and discussion later solved things and you don't know about them because they were not serious enough to 'announce' to anyone.  That is no warning, as KM claims it was adequate warning that we should have made back up caches and patches and been ready for this after reading that action text in a chat room.

There for the point is this.. do you want anyone else to have that control over WinMX that they can be upset and mad, (which btw I find completely human and understandable to get upset at times) to have that ability to say 'F It, im taking my toys and going home, screw you all'? 

No you dont.. none of us do, so the answer then is to find the best solutions to that issue.. what ever those maybe.  Not to sit up in here throwing darts at each other so STOP IT!!  Or I'll be forced to follow my gut (which at the moment tells me absolutely no good what so ever is coming of this thread) and lock it as well.

*Edit by MH to add:  I cant stand the idea of beating upon KM btw, I really love that kid, and this is why you havent seen huge posts bashing him, and hating on him.  And this one is no different, I have total respect for KM and lots of things hes done, but he is capable of being wrong and he did this wrong.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 10:27:38 pm »
the thread was locked after the admins saw fit to inflame the situation even after ghostship had posted
"I shall speak to those involved and ask they follow our site guidlines, I hope this is acceptable."
they then  saw fit to carry on posting then lock it so not to get replies to their own outbursts.

Also it is clear that site policy is dictated by your own admission .....by gut instinct and no set guidlines ...... something that is clear to see from  certain admins of late as well.

as for the edit about not seeing huge posts bashing and hating on KM ....... there has been hardly anything else of late on here except doing exactly that ..... you only have to look round to see that especialy from ex pie members who seem to be able to voice whatever they like these days without any kind of reprimand

@ nobby
Keep em coming Hell, your making the case for open source all the stronger with your words...

you need all the help you can get as the vote for open source  has not at any time been higher than for closed source

But then i guess its just a hollow victory for the closed source voters as everyone knows which way the patch will be going or yourself for one wouldnt still be hanging around waiting for what pie has wanted all along .... to get there hands on the code due to the deficiencies in there own patch. ohh and i forgot so you can put the boot into KM at every given oportunity something else that is clear for all to see
so much for no KM bashing and hating threads ehh  :roll:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »
Feel free to show why KM should not be told off for damaging the network, to be honest I,m starting to wonder if you have any idea of whats right and whats wrong as you seem to back KM even though he is causing a tremendous amount of damage to all users with his WCS as well as poisoning the peer caches, any reasonably sensible mx user would be clear as I have been, its not acceptable or wanted.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2007, 11:48:33 pm »
This is not about KM Hell you can try to make it seem like it is all you like, the only point that has anything to do with KM is do you want a three-peat of total control and shutdown as he has done.  Im sure you cant deny he did infact shut it all down?

As for site policy im not here to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside nor anyone else for that matter, the fact is this is not about bashing on KM, but when its wrong Im not going to sit back and not say so. 

Hes posting searches and IPs its wrong.
He shut everything down on a whim and didnt  talk to anyone about it, it was wrong.
Hes done nothing but insult and create more turbulence un provocted since it happened, its wrong.
Hes either unable or unwilling to fix a major problem hes creating with the peer caches and network and instead can find plenty of time to come in the room boasting about it, and thats wrong too.

Now if you cant see that those things hes doing are wrong, I just dont know what else to say to you, but the fact is that others can see they are wrong and I dont care what party lines  they are on, its not right to think you can defend those things and honestly not have ppl disagree with you, and your love of WInMX ive seen with my own two eyes im even shocked you cant see whats going on.

Ive not personally attacked KM but that doenst make everything hes doing of late right either. 

If your looking for the perfect world Hell why is it that your only contribution is sitting on this site bitching about it, why dont you fix it if you think you can do such a better job then any of us, get on with it.  Lets hear all those perfect ideas you have.. and how perfect a site can be run, and you go pay for it and work your ass off then you come lecture me about this site and its mods and polices and how your perfect world is coming.  Then I might actually care what you think about this site, Ive  tried my best and its not good enough, so do it better. 

Here is the part Im supposed to finish by saying things that are not actual lies just sound similar to mistruths about you and how you feel and what your going to do no matter what you have said ...

Its obvious to me you dont give a rats ass about WinMX or its future is that fair?  Lets insinuate things that I cant prove or back up and just say to make it sound all dramatic and stuff shall I do that as you are?

Are we having fun yet?  Is this how your perfect site and world will be too, daily fights over petty shit that doesnt matter anyway at this point as we have real issues to deal with?

Look I dont want to fight with you, the other thread is locked its the way it is get over it and stop bitching in this one or I'll be forced to lock it as well and it will be down to you alone this time.

Offline Knot4Prophet

• Forum Member
    • Knot4Prophet.com
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 04:30:52 am »
Considering that the poll is being hosted on a site that has historically been in support of a closed-source patch, a current showing of 35% in favour of open source is actually rather remarkable.  Dragonrider's comments on another thread here are correct in saying that the people with a vested interest in shutting down WinMx, e.g. the R.I.A.A., have the money to decode any patch, or even WinMx itself.  Nonetheless, Mx still exists, just as it would with an open-source patch.  Open source solves more problems than it creates.  The people here who are calling out for a closed source patch to be controlled by some few forget that that is what the current state was already here at WMW, and look where that got you all.  I'm not surprised, either, that KM ditched you squabbling, obsequious sycophants.  Listening to all your collective nonsense has driven him insane.

Knot4Prophet
Knot4Prophet

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 06:39:47 am »
*looks for his dictionary

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 06:52:25 am »

what knot4prophet is calling people here is : cronies, brownnosers, asskissers....

the words have several meanings but basicly this is what it boils down to.

If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:12 am »
I think it is safe to say there has been more than enough ranting on this subject. Merlin has ranted out his share on it. Insulting some in trying to get his point across and it has been noted, quoted, noticed, approved, and disapproved. KM has made rant after rant after rant, false accusation, insult, falsified facts, and twisted truths. I have ranted on trying to prove one point or another, or to disapprove one point or another, either in fact or in common sence. Ice has shown his anger and passion and ranted in threads trying to prove points for and against open or source closed, KM's actions, KM lies, Quicks' actions, Hell's actions, and several others' actions. Hell has posted rant after rant of insult, false accusations, repetitive posts about how someone has moved this, someone was banned there, and how the admins of this site are evil. The topic of this thread in case anyone else has forgotten how to look at the top of the page and see it, if for nothing else but to ensure that they stay ON topic is:   POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?   this need be the last thread as to whether or not there is an open or closed source patch. There has been a pole. It has been voted on and it has shown that pretty much that most the readers of this forum that care enough to post believe that it should be open source. I am saying this now and this will be my final words on this subject and this thread. BRING IT BACK ON TOPIC OR I PERSONALLY WILL LOCK THIS THREAD AND ANY OTHER DEALING WITH THE SUBJECT OF AN OPEN OR CLOSED SOURCE PATCH ALONG WITH ANY FUTURE THREAD AS TO THE DISCUSSION OF AN OPEN OR CLOSED SOURCE PATCH. Why do I say this? I say this because as I said, OBVIOUSLY any person who has cared enough about this subject has posted on it. THE REST IS JUST RANTS, OPINIONS, AND BULLSHIT BECAUSE AS OF RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO PATCH AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME TO EVEN BE OPEN OR CLOSED SOURCE EXCEPT FOR KM's AND WE ALL KNOW IT'S CLOSED SOURCE. Thank you and you all have a wonderfull day.  :)
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 11:32:58 am »
Question:      Should the Winmx Fix From WinMxWorld Be Made open Source Or Not ?
Yes 100%    - 15 (34.9%)
No 100%    - 22 (51.2%)
Not Sure    - 6 (14%)

Total Voters: 43

It has been voted on and it has shown that pretty much that most the readers of this forum that care enough to post believe that it should be open source.

Looks to me like 22 against opensource.... 15 for...... 6 undecided..... and 1 moron named snot4profit who must be bored and not have anybody to argue with in his room and wants to start 1 here.

Offline F£¥è®

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 11:37:01 am »
It has been voted on and it has shown that pretty much that most the readers of this forum that care enough to post believe that it should be open source.

How does a NO vote of 51.2% turn into a Yes result?

OS Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU  Q8200  @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 11:49:48 am »
I think that it does not matter what we want or think it will be decided by the people who decide. And why are people arguing about a patch that does not exist yet.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 12:56:17 pm »
Zero you are wrong, it does infact matter what you think very much.  Its been said many times now that nothing will be open sourced without the majority of users wanting such. 

Offline sharing sarah

• Forum Member
  • A Music & Movie Spectrum_F135E44219F6
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 01:26:39 pm »
I’ve given this much thought. One reason I waited till now to vote was I wasn’t sure witch way to vote, and I have seen friendships hurt over it. I have spoken with many people on both sides of the issue that I trust, including my own IT guy. And now feel the new patch should be closed source.

Yes we do need a new patch as KM could keep sending notices to any site that makes it available to the public as it is his patch. But for now the patch works and appears that KM is letting it be available on other sites. One thing that does concern me is some thing I’ve seen posted and it’s this, (partial quote from the forum) [ 1. Once you go open source, the cat is so to speak out of the bag, development will happen freely, its too late to go back and decide to charge,] or change it I say. We could be risking loosing MX.

Every open source program I’ve found on the net comes with a declaimer the writer isn’t responsible for any problems you have. What’s to keep the cartel from putting up bogus sites with an altered file that crashes systems or just doesn’t work causing users to become frustrated and giving up on MX altogether, especially new users?

If the patch is closed cant the writers of it give the users a free, permanent and licensed use of it?  This could be posted for anyone that wanted a printed copy. That way they can’t come back later saying it was temporary permission.

As far as open source pulling in more users by sharing information I wonder about that. I run my own business and would never share my business plan with another company that hasn’t much to offer. Not being derogatory to any other groups out there but they have had all this time to come up with an equivalent patch other than the host files and failed to do so, I have to ask myself why?

More and more users will switch to a patch that has decentralized caches as they run into connection problems with other patches that connect to caches that are controlled by one person.

In closing I say no to open source, let’s keep this cat in the bag.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2007, 02:14:41 pm »
What’s to keep the cartel from putting up bogus sites with an altered file that crashes systems or just doesn’t work causing users to become frustrated and giving up on MX altogether, especially new users?

What would stop the cartels placing closed source patches on bogus sites?

As far as open source pulling in more users by sharing information I wonder about that. I run my own business and would never share my business plan with another company that hasn’t much to offer. Not being derogatory to any other groups out there but they have had all this time to come up with an equivalent patch other than the host files and failed to do so, I have to ask myself why?

You are basing that comment from a businesse competition stand point, bottom line is right now, WmW dont have a patch as KM has withdrawn his. Whilst WmW could get a closed source patch and go back down a road that has allready be proven a very rocky drive, why not pause for thought and consider minimising ongoing user confusion and unite with 1 solution.

More and more users will switch to a patch that has decentralized caches as they run into connection problems with other patches that connect to caches that are controlled by one person.

So your happy for the caches to be distributed and decentralised to avoid 1 person controlling them, but the life blood the patch itself you wish to lock into 1 user, like a KM2? I dont think peices of paper etc will in anyway ensure the patch remains the property of the users and not the creater, by definiation the only thing that will, is an open source status.

In closing I say no to open source, let’s keep this cat in the bag.

The cat was out the bag a long long time ago, the cat was prised out kicking and scratching by the Cartels huge budget as they hired some smart coders to take Winmx and its protocols apart bit by bit, do you really think only Drac, KM and a few other Winmx users are smart enough to figure out what makes Winmx tick???

With all due respect Sarah, the majority of your reasons for closed source is you fear what the cartel will do with the info, newsflash, they have it, they have it all, anyone who beleives otherwise is wearing blinkers.

Whilst i agree this thread is supposed to be about voting, we have a situation here where by users are voting and posting their reasons that are simply not valid, in affect the voting users do not possess the facts, this needs to be addressed, i mean seriously does everyone beleive the Cartel dont know how Winmx works? We need to find away to communicate the facts in a more organised manner and allow users to read, and understand fully before deciding, otherwise we simply have a vote based on rubbish and chat room hearsay.

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007, 02:31:40 pm »
quote from nooky ..............
Hell has posted rant after rant of insult, false accusations, repetitive posts about how someone has moved this, someone was banned there, and how the admins of this site are evil.
and this is exactly why i have resigned as this forum has both now a serious creditabilty problem and a blantant double standard being applied to certain users...........
some users can barely breath here before there posts are removed and there accounts banned ( and we all know who im talking about ) while others can post what they like blantantly disregarding warning after warning after warning and there are no consiquences.........clearly a double standard, either every poster is  treated equally or a forum just becomes a mockery which is the case with this forum now........
if your going to enforce standards of behaviour then they apply to everyone and not just a select few who are no longer flavor of the month..........
i have no wish to leave but also i cannot in all good faith support a forum that has certain rules for some and a completely different set of rules for others, everyone should be treated the same or it very quickly turns into a vladd style cesspool and then dissappears.............

Offline Knot4Prophet

• Forum Member
    • Knot4Prophet.com
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »
Looks to me like 22 against opensource.... 15 for...... 6 undecided..... and 1 moron named snot4profit who must be bored and not have anybody to argue with in his room and wants to start 1 here.

How is this staying on topic?  And the only moron here is you, queef, evidenced by your rush to the local lexicon just to decipher a short post of mine:

And no, I didn't come here to argue.  There isn't anyone of my calibre up to that task here.  There is no argument.  Closed source is the status quo and the status quo is shit.  Period.

Knot4Prophet
Knot4Prophet

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 03:43:40 pm »
You are correct Ice as i posted to you in the moderators section, incase anyone is wondering I moved a post there by Ice and felt it was not appropriate and I do have two sets of standards here.  100% i feel the moderators of this site should control anger and not post things that are solely to inflame a situation.  And its not always easy either to restain yourself but it is doable.

Thats clarified lets move on to the discussion at hand.

Which does not include personal insults so consider this a warning to you Reef and you Knot.  The moderators here are edgy enough leave the personal comments out of this ..

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2007, 03:48:41 pm »
Can i please change my vote. I would like to say after some thinking i would like to see an Open Source patch, this is because all the people who have worked on it can still add things at a later date and if users think they want something adding they can do at their own will. The only problem i see with Open Source is that of people could do bad things with it but what possibly could go wrong can someone please tell me.

One more thing could we have our own Peer Caches, if we can't is there really any point in Open Source.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  POLL: Winmx Patch and Should It Be Open Or Closed Source ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx