gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:00:30 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  How is the new patch coming along?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How is the new patch coming along?  (Read 20993 times)

Offline lovejoy291

• MX Hosts
Re: How is the new patch coming along?
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 10:08:18 pm »
i think in some chat futher back i was told to hushhh it butmmm, aint the things i read the same thing

Offline ]2aven (R.I.P.)

• MX Hosts
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 10:21:45 pm »
  You will always find in these discussions that people dont agree with your opinions. You shouldnt take that so personally, unless your just being rude with nothing at all valuable to say.

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 06:42:04 am »
in other words... lets give this time shall we?

HMM 5 Months and waiting.
Do iI hear 6?
Who will give me 6? 6 6 6
I got 6.
Who will give me 7?

No joke is any one getting close to any thing yet?  NoOne likes vapor ware.
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 07:28:59 am »
Those who have taken the time to read the read the entire thread will be aware I cancelled the patch project some months ago for technical/security reasons.

People are free to debate on all matters surrounding this and the reasons for the cancellation and I make the promise that each and every post in this thread has been read for solutions that address the main reason for the cancellation, I have not yet seen any viable solutions that will fit the bill.

The current "escape" plan from my perspective is ditch patches and start work on a new open src client so that holes in the primary protocol can be patched to stop "self appointed gods" from messing with the users of the network and to give us each an equal  share in the networks future, to further this end I will be opening a site specifically to facilitate this activity, thats my plan if you have any better ones feel free to add them here so we can all gain from any ideas plans and general offers of help.

Please be warned any posts that call either myself or the sites good name into question will be ignored in full as to be honst replying is a waste of time when we need all hands to the pumps, lets stay positive and I as always will do my best to keep some kind of future looking activity on the cooker.

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 10:48:46 am »
Ghost i agree on the new client but i have to ask if a new patch cant be made with what is known by you and others ,is a new client realy achievabl by the same people that were working on a new patch? There have been people working on a new client for years and never got past the chat end. Even KM never got past the chat  not saying he  is the best but he did  make a patch better than anyone else so far. LVHC,TSC and a number of others have tried to make a new winmx program for many years and gotten no where is there some new info out now to the inner workings of winmx that gives new hope?
 As it looks makeing a new patch is no small feat , but a new client is a major under takeing that no one has been able to over come .

I hope you and the others can we need it but ill have to ask why its not been done before now .

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 11:09:16 am »
I agree with chuck, i have posted about this before towards Tiny, if we cant even manage a patch, how do we as a community expect to build an entire client?

With regards to the patch, GS, would it not be prudent to offer an open source .dll with automatic flitering, we could then at least have something that several of the factions could push out with a view to simplifying the whole re-connection process. I am not expecting users of KM's patch to give up filtering and revert to a "lesser" featured patch, but we could use a new patch to better improve network wide blocking, this would lessen/minimise the effect of the flooding. Once we had such a new patch available we would have a better chance of reaching out to hosts file only users and begin converting them to blocking.

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 04:22:55 pm »
Now GS is admitting he wants to sensor people. Personally i know enough about the way the WPN works to know in a years time we will still be asking these questions. The days when WinMx ruled the P2P Reviews are over.

Unless these people can re design the network infrastructure of the WPN and change the way the client handles the protocol we will have nothing but WinMx and the WPN.

All i can see is one of two things. The first thing is that you will make a Client but keep the network infrastructure, meaning new Client same issues. The second option is that you will change the network infrastructure and make a new Client which means its not WinMx or the WPN

I have told you what you need and you seem to think its not possible. Your Indexer's need a high priority blocking mechanism for the flooders. You can see this as irrelevant but do you actually read what people are telling you.

You could not make a patch but your expecting us to believe you when you say you can make a Client. Emulator as made a client why not use his idea and ask him for help with a new network infrastructure.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 04:42:41 pm »
Please look at something that is featured on your site. I have took the time to read it and everything i thought i understood was correct, if you are telling us that you have no clue then fair enough but releasing a new client will use more users. I personally love WinMx not a WinMx clone and stating above other people have tried and failed.

One thing i learnt growing up is if it's not broke do not fix it, and if it is broke don't scrap everything build on what you got.

Anyway here is the link that i think most of you coders have forgotten about.
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/patch_information.html
System(s) Configuration

Micromecca

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 05:00:04 pm »
Personally i know enough about the way the WPN works to know in a years time we will still be asking these questions.

Zero it will be clear to the majority having read this entire thread that you havnt the 1st idea about how the WPN functions, sorry to anyone I offend there but someone has to say it as this is becoming a joke now.
Having given Zero some of my time to try and explain how it does work, he obviously isnt able to comprehend, instead he would rather come on here point the finger and insult

Unless these people can re design the network infrastructure of the WPN and change the way the client handles the protocol we will have nothing but WinMx and the WPN.

Change the way the client handles the protocol? It's the protocol itself that needs the changes making to it, in turn that requires a whole new client.

I have told you what you need and you seem to think its not possible. Your Indexer's need a high priority blocking mechanism for the flooders. You can see this as irrelevant but do you actually read what people are telling you.

If by indexers you are refering to the term we use for patch dns records, how exactly do u expect any blocking to take place at that level, another suggestion ike your 'filter at the cache level' idea, unrealistic and 'pulled out of a hat'

If you really want preople to take you seriously Zero, then take the time to reseach exactly how the WPN works !

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:47 pm »
 What seams to be a joke is saying we cant make a patch becouse of the holes in the primary protocol.But we can close the holes in the protocol and make a new client Any time with in the next 5 years. There has never been a new full working client made just ask Nushi , hes been working on one for over 10 years and never got one to work. Sorry to sasy but id bet he would get one up and running before any one else on Winmx today. Hell i dont think any 3rd party programs working today would have been made with out his work.

Zero may not know whats he is saying as you say Mecca but  he makes a good point on 3 things .
1. In a years time we will still be asking these questions. The days when WinMx ruled the P2P Reviews are over. (That doesnt sound to far off base.)

2. All i can see is one of two things. The first thing is that you will make a Client but keep the network infrastructure (protocol), meaning new Client same issues.
(Sounds about right.)

3. The second option is that you will change the network infrastructure (protocol) and make a new Client which means its not WinMx or the WPN. (Again sounds about right.)

Zero Doesnt sound far fetched or illinformend at all.

Ghost im not calling you or the sites good name into question here but you are makeing large claims as to being able to take on codeing a new client. Im just being realistic is asking do you think you can do what so many others cant? And what kind of time line are you shooting for? Will it be the WPN or some thing ealse all together?
 Will people useing the orginal Winmx program be compatible with this new client? and if so how will a new client change the bug in the protocol if some still use the Winmx program? Or will Winmx not be able to connect?

What im asking is if this is real or wishfull thinking?

AS it is now were still on KM's patch or the host file, if open source is out of the question then make it closed if that would help in getting us off km's patch and the host file. Im not trying to make you feel bad about all this many a good programer has tried to make a new client and failed .Its not like we cant use winmx now.

Dont get mad I and may others would just like to know what you are thinking.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 12:20:21 am »
Just my 2 cents,

Why does nobody listen to what ghost is telling us, forget about all patches as they are only patches to a leaking protocol.
Accept the fact the WPN is running as is  and start thinking and even better, start building new clients with the same setup as the known WinMx clients avoiding the bugs, upgrading the protocol where needed, adding features we are missing now.
Of course it would be nice if the new WPN (WPN4?) would be compattible, but if not, well, so it will be.

Just to mention one thing that makes a new protocol needed is passing the 2 Gb limit in filetransfer.

I'm shure there are lots more and it might be good to set up a site to hear what users want to be changed/added.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 01:00:20 am »
@wonderer

it would be nice if they would listen but hey... 

a tidbit of info; the two gig limit is a limit of the old versions of windows that winmx is compatible with... 9x & ME

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 05:21:44 am »
This isnt about "listening" its about someone to step forward and answer the simple question: If we dont have the skills within the community to write a new patch, where the hell is the skill coming from to write an entire client?

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 02:42:40 pm »
Half of you do not think i know anything, Fair enoug.
The other half seem to know where i am coming from, thank you
The rest just do not want to bother.

I am going to be truthful because that the type of person i am. I admit my knowledge is lacking some great detail, when Î¥Îî¢rôÎ¥Îꢢâ said he/she had spent time with me explaining i recall that person leaving mid conversation.

I do not see why you insult me i never insulted anyone in here, i just gave my opinion but it sounds like you are in denial and do not want to hear it.

Think what you think show quotes make fun of me, i really do not have the time to care. What i do have the time for is seeing that nothing as been done.

I have explained that if you wanted me to i would pay a coder to do whatever we need them to do. I would never ask for a penny because i really really love WinMx.

If you see everything i am saying as bullshit then please pm me and i will gladly give you my mobile telephone number to discuss anything you do or do not like.

Lets have a vote
Who thinks something good will come of this?
Who thinks nothing will happen of this?

Thanks
Zero_Cool
System(s) Configuration

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 06:12:28 pm »
Would seem the whole things at a stalemate atm .....perhaps a outside coder might be the way forward as nothing else seems to be happening.
whatever happens its still a real generous offer zero ( you get my thanks anyway) ....if things come to that I'm sure a lot of ppl would gladly donate and not let the cost fall all to one person.......afterall everyone has gained plenty from winmx over the years and for years to come hopefully.

Offline ]2aven (R.I.P.)

• MX Hosts
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2007, 08:15:16 pm »
   Like I already said I think thats a great idea. Thus far everything winmx has been free (the software, servers, bots, and other tools we use) I would definately donate money to get off km's patch and put this issue to rest.  :)

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2007, 08:27:43 pm »
Thanks all its nice to know some people think i am talking at least some sense.
System(s) Configuration

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:02 pm »
 Zero i think you can see im with ya on what your saying.

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2007, 06:24:34 am »
yeah i know chuck lets start a union lol
System(s) Configuration

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2007, 12:17:55 pm »
Nobby I would just like to point out a small flaw in your logic, with a patch you yourself would be banging at my door reminding me that I said it would be open src, I have told you this cant be done for security reasons, to release the other type of patch I believe would be safer seems to be a non-no for technical reasons, its not that a patch cannot arrive but its that the associated mess in making it and the src available that would do damage in the long term and thats a responsibility thats not mine to assume.

As I remember stating many moons ago a new client would be able to have some of the current problems fixed and there are plenty of open src projcts we can take code from if we do want a client, its not like code is not available for most routines.

Chuck Nushi did make a secondary client although he gave up on it for reasons on his own in 2002/3 you can check it out in the archives under the name Numx, we have already seen WinZo and will be seeing more from MoonMx the spin-off project, so lets not lead ourselves into thinking its impossible when its already happening.

Anyone with a fair understanding of coding would be able to  make their own open src patch using the baic code in BendMX 3.99 version a3 as that has all the code required to build a patch, this is not a secret and been mentioned a few times, we are not bankrupt of information here, just coders who can make use of that information, I suggested the new client effort for a number of reasons , firstly throttling of transfers this is a major threat to keeping users on the network, junk packet attacks from idiots wanting to show how " leet" they are to ignorant users, and most importantly a future for the network that does not rely on one or two in the community each time a problem occurs, this is only fair, many folks who have helped quickly become burned out with the support and constant demand for some "gizmo" style update, with a  real open src project in our hands all these problems can firstly be addresses and secondly anyone can join in the effort to resolve them, taking the project to a far bigger audience and allowing more folks to take a stake in keeping their network open.

I,m not making any demands on anyone either, if foks want to help they will be welcomed and if they dont thats their right, I for one dont intend to sit idle while the usersbase shrinks as it will due to design flaws its within our power to fix and improve upon, theory first followed by something practical, if this is not the path the rest of you wish to follow then I accept that too and suggest you form yourselves into a team to bring your ideas to fruit, this is after all a democracy and I for one want to be able to help anyone who needs it where I can, this is not the time for negativity and finger pointing, positive thoughts followed by positive action, we all gain.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  How is the new patch coming along?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx