gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 10, 2024, 06:33:10 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: program ideas  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
program ideas
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:08:43 am »
i didnt really see an area that says "development for third party shit"  so you can move this if theres a better place for it.
But basically im going to start posting my program ideas on here and anyone who wants to try them are more then welcome to.

1) a log reader that utilizes colors so you dont have to read #c?#h#c?#i #c?#m#c?#y #c?#n#c?#a#c?#m#c?#e#c?# i#c?#s#c?# #c?#n#c?#o#c?#b (hi my name is bob)

2) Command line search and transfer ( yes something like the one that scam site was advertising along with the speed up winmx thing that just put a picture of a porsche on your screen)

3) dual chatserver (complex)
by this i mean it can handle two or more hosts (each host would have a different hash accordingly but the channel would be the same)
this as to my knowledge would require some type of relay system similar to the IRC bots like the one the rombar uses and would greatly benefit from load balancing. assuming you could detect when a host is about to crash it could shift users to one of the other hosts and the room would never go down.

4) a terminal chat client similar to eagles
except it supports multiple channels similar to IRSSI  where you type /join <channel> and use Tab+<number> to change with room is being displayed. this would be a great start for something a GUI interface could be added to later (but come on who wants a gui on linux?)
and would cut down resource usage when chatting in multiple rooms since only one copy and one terminal tab has to be open. (terminal emulaters suck change your run level :D )
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: program ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:01 am »
id like an 'anti mx moni' filter... something that shoehorns itself between the community patch and winmx and filters out user specified usernames from the search results... or rather parts thereof... parts like "mxm" "trade" and "moni" (pref case insensitive) so you dont inadvertantly end up queueing up for a file that never ___ing starts......

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:54:31 am »
Just going to run this by you guys... I know it might get some nasty comments but oh well.

I was thinking something along the lines of a WinMX user searcher.   Where you can put in a username and see what rooms they're in.

It's kind of like Eagles, except the user doesn't index the information, the server does, which saves waiting along time to be able to search, and users that want to be excluded can be.

You would also be able to list all the users in a certain room.

The indexer would just join a room, get the user list, then leave, about once every 30 minutes for each room.  But the user side would be able to request a "re index now" so the indexer would put that room on it's priority (index in the next 5 - 10 minutes).

Just an idea... just want to hear some opinions.

... the client would be open source of course. :-)
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:16 am »
@josh

actually an interesting idea... would be very handy since unlike irc you cant ask the wpn /who 'username' to see what channels they are in... (cant use /query 'username' to send a message either since the numbers in the names always change)

i just have a reeeeely bad gut feeling some unsavory folk (RIAA types being a good example) would use such a thing as either a pirate hunter or just a general stalking tool.....

like any powerfull tool ...a sledge hammer for instance...  it would have its good uses (sledge hammer being used to drive a splitting maul {wikipedia that if you dont know what one is} or straighten the bent deck of a lawn mower) and its bad uses... (breaking into basically any type of door and into a house to steal the contents therein).... and with mxmoni being a good example of how way too many on the wpn think.... i doubt the tool would be used for very much good....

and i have a reeeeely bad feeling that the first fully functional FOSS winmx client that gets released will be hacked to peices to rip the wpn apart... (ghostship... you listening?)

...yeah i know glass half empty and all that.... but there are simply too many leeches, moni abusers and '0 of 0' hacks on the wpn for me to hold out much hope for its future....

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:29 am »
From what I understand, the people here at WinMx World are big on keeping WinMx the way it was back in 2005, but I would like to see some useful updates.

For example:

Get rid of "Pictures" as one of the default search types and replace it with "Archive".

Stop the nag screen that prompts users to "Search their hard drive for files" every time they start WinMx.

Color support for chatrooms hosted using WinMx (not a 3rd party app).

Make the amount of people in a chatroom spoofing impossible.

Be able to hide chatrooms that aren't in my language.

Possibly add a "If user is sharing less than 1 file, don't let them download off me" option.

Permanent hotlist.

Make it extremely easy to change WinMx's language.

Option to suppress "The chatrooms are not monitored" message every time I click "Chat".

Make the WinMx tray icon come back on its own when explorer.exe crashes.

Make an option to share all file types easily.

Add more default file types to the Library.

Possibly let users create their own banned IP list using a "ban.txt" file inside the WinMx directory.

Make the text in WinMx right-clickable so we can copy and paste.
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:15:24 am »
Get rid of "Pictures" as one of the default search types and replace it with "Archive".

i find using the 'any file/bitrate' option to be quite nice... you'd be surprised at what youll find... (getting it to download may be another story but the results can be surprising in and of themselves)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:43:02 am »
I have taken a very long time to look at what is and what is not sensible to open src Stripes, at this time the primary system is not fitting into this catagory and thus I have asked those who have asked about client building to stick to secondary methods only, this need not be the permanent case as some modifications are possible but will need implementing across the entire network and will mean an incompatability exists.

As for some of the suggestions regarding the removal of warning boxes from a new client I would urge no one to do such a thing as having such boxes act as a legal safeguard, US lawmakers  however are in agreement with you Daniel regarding the scan for media button, its potential for sharing private files make it something to be feared, doubtless your only seeing this "nag" screen because your not sharing anything as it does not show otherwise.

One of the other changes you suggest is possible within the WinMX client already namely changing the default file types shown, have a closer look in settings.

The language idea was on my own list tbh , I envisaged a box with many flag icons on it and the user can then select their language and have it autoload the langauge file, this of course requires their to be translations in the first place but I,m sure when the time comes the community will rally to create such items for parts not already in the existing files. 

Anyway I,m saying no more on what will be in or out of the client as I dont think its advisable to build up folks hopes too much when my coding skills may not match up to the task , however I,m still working on building a clone client for us all to develope further and would welcome more coding support if there are any folks out there interested in joining a team, my hope is that once we have a codebase of our own, exploits problems and concerns can be fixed rapidly instead of the current situation of having our hands tied.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
at this time the primary system is not fitting into this catagory

the whole WPN doesnt really fit into the category of FOSS... just look at whats been done to it already (mxmoni, pie vs wmw, "0 of 0", 1.x.x.x, macrovision, mediadefender... the list goes on...) ... thats what my worry is... winmx and its protocol was never intended to be open sourced... and for all intents and purposes it really did die back in 2005...  its decentralized chat system is really the only thing that put it on an inhumane life support system...

however I,m still working on building a clone client for us all to develope further and would welcome more coding support if there are any folks out there interested in joining a team

now if only i could do more than just tinker with perl bash and CSS... :/ .... C++ im not interested in (the linux kernel isnt written in C++ ... its written in C) and i never took the time to learn C.... (and with my scattered brain i dont think it would be possible)

as some modifications are possible but will need implementing across the entire network and will mean an incompatability exists

lets be real here GS... you and i both know the WPN protocol needs to be scrapped in its entirety and rebuilt from the ground up.... and of course changes that make it incompatible or a whole new protocol means its not 'winmx' anymore... but something that looks and/or feels like it...

changes that make the 'real' winmx client -completely- incompatible with the 'new wpn' are what are really needed if things are to move forward.... there are just too many holding on to 2005... its 2009... let go... why does it need to be compatible?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »
...and truth be told... i plan to move on as well.... im thinking either ares(open source)... or soulseek... MX will still autostart and share and robo is fun for chats... but for files... bittorrent wins... and now i need a new 'singles' app..... (winmx has been running flat for a looooong time now)

scream blasphemy if you will but..... well.... im sure you can understand...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:41:57 pm »
I don't share you lack of faith in the WPN protocol particularly as its not much different in overview than some of the more popular ones that don't feature the encryption level, old ? perhaps but relevant ? very much so in my opinion.

I certainly wont make a song and dance of  folks using other methods to obtain files that may be lacking on the WPN as I,m aware others come here for the same reason from those networks you mentioned, but overall I see this as a time of transition, a short term bump in what has turned into a long term commitment.

When it comes to "issues" faced by us all it seems many are fixable and plenty have been resolved and I really must take umbrage at equating a few lines of text in a host file as any equivalent to the community patch we advise folks to use, whilst there has been acrimony amongst individuals the networks core community are in the whole united and are enjoying a peaceful and fruitful time and trusting those here and on other sites to do the right thing, I believe a new client is the right thing and long overdue.

Looking at the benefits alone makes this evident to me, we will be able to gather many more users to the network if we are able to show live developers who listen to the userbase and target their creative efforts accordingly, we will be able to "pitch" the app to download sites and we will be able to fix any problems as they arise so the reality is it makes little difference who stays or goes in the short term as once we have a codebase we can build on the networks strengths and fix its weaknesses, this is common sense I like to think and so I,m sure you can understand most of the site crew here are more to this way of thinking than yourself having faced and defeated adversity once already, diversity of your activities is great but please dont blame MX for not delivering when its been doing so for a long longer than 90% of its rivals and will go on continuing to do so.

Regardless of your future plans be aware you are always welcome here as are any other users who feel they are not getting the best of whats out there, and take an impromptu holiday, decentralised operation ensures longevity and we will continue to do our best to provide the friendly support that folks have come to expect.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:19:59 pm »
as it stands my future plans are to leave winmx itself running in the background sharing on it what i download with soulseek and bittorrent.... (and its odd that noone ever downloads what i have even tho i have had folks test if downloads from me are indeed possible) along with the occasional shits and giggles chat with robomx in the wmw lounge and help channel (yep ive helped a few get MX up and running)....

...now if only robomx didnt have the colorcode problems... (and no i dont like WPCC)

as far as downloading with MX... its either not there... or is there in a phantom state meaning i end up with a 0byte file that winmx keeps finding ppl who have but always times out or the ppl just disappear.... or i get to about 90% of a file and never see any results for it again... so i wont be doing that anymore after the handfull (about 15 after a housecleaning) files finishes.... if they finish...

when this transition is over give me a call... but the frustration has caused me to take a vacation... i need to clear my head....

and please... dump the original clients and start with a 'fresh' WPN.... else you'll end up stuck trying desperately to awkwardly backwards support the originals.... just look at what a similar mentality of backwards compatibility support has done to windows...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:13 am »
Being a Core member I think you understand I recognise the enemy we face atm and its safe to say its ISP throttling,  a "socket" in any network client has no speed limiting features as such and thus on paper there is no reason any type of network should be faster than any other, enter the ISP with their overselling activities, being MX has everything but the transfers encrypted we are an easy target and this will be the case unless we can either get everyone on a new client or add a fix into the patch and both these options are dependant on their being clued up coders who are willing to make the effort to develope solutions.

I dont for one minute believe sabre or any of the other Info supporters have any technical lean or would be willing to begin defending users on the host file solution and thus to introduce a patch fix would cleave the network in two as far as transfers are concerned, this is why I havent proposed this solution and instead have opted to look at the more expansive solution that can be made into what the users require and potentially they can migrate at their leisure if they feel inclined to do so in light of any features that may improve performance.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:54 am »
@ daniel
"Get rid of "Pictures" as one of the default search types and replace it with "Archive"." that can be changed in the settings of winmx already.

"Stop the nag screen that prompts users to "Search their hard drive for files" every time they start WinMx." this is great IMO because even if you manually do it then you cant type while its updating and should be a background task.

"Be able to hide chatrooms that aren't in my language." this would be very hard because you can speak whatever language you want in a room. even in winmx world valor speaks italian on occasion but if you based it on say... japanese characters in the motd/topic it might be less unreasonable.

Possibly add a "If user is sharing less than 1 file, don't let them download off me" option.
so you want mxmoni built in?

"permanent hotlist" this isnt done because every time you disconnect and reconnect to the WPN those little numbers at the end wich tell the message where to go change. if something like josh's network spy was included it would be perceivable for it to update itself but if the username changes it would break again and you would have a useless name cluttering it up and wasting ram.

"Option to suppress "The chatrooms are not monitored" message every time I click "Chat"."
this can be done several ways. either in a config file (would allow winmx to stay portable) or in something like the registry wich would mean winmx would break if you movedit from the install folder and would most likely break its ability to run on POSIX based system however shittyly so it may do now.

Make an option to share all file types easily.
next time you have an unknown filetype click the little link windows directs you to. there are thousands if not millions of file extensions. so you have to pick or choose

Possibly let users create their own banned IP list using a "ban.txt" file inside the WinMx directory. barebones has this option and i think wpcc does but you can always add the ip to your firewall or router in the mean time.

as for the rest they seem like great ideas. :D and thnx guys for posting im sure the programmers can really benefit from these ideas.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:21:21 am »
I think I better make clear my reply to Daniel was based on current legal and security considerations and thus while it may seem I have excluded some ideas out-of-hand this is not the case, many discussions have taken place to ensure there is a consensus on what is or it not safe and these are the guiding rules that are suggested to programmers, and we follow ourselves, it is refreshing however to see some many new ideas  :-D

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
lemme paint a clearer picture of 'whats wrong with the WPN' in core.... but i gotta gather my thoughts together.... and im putting in core cos i dont want to give anyone any cute ideas...

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »
      Their is a extremly simple way of making winmx's transfers fully encypted. But the problem lies with making it compatible with people not running patched winmx's. Do we really want to split the network in two. Personally i think we should of done it when KM was about. As their was a much larger user base, and to loose a few people while others upgraded wouldnt of been overly major. But it didnt happen.

On the basis of starting again. Recreating our own P2P client. Thats not about the winmx code would be a damn site easyer, and bits could be ripped from many diffrent networks, but i dont think it would keep the community spirit.

Ive considered Ares too in the past, an im sorry but i hate the damn thing. I trust Winmx, ive been using it for 5 years at least, i think even longer than that, its kept me safe, i think i should repay it by keeping it safe. Yes sentimentality has took over, and deep down i know we need a new client. The whole network protocol has been cracked. Their are a few little niggles we wonder what way round it does it, but you learn that by coding that section. Every single packets type is in writen form and what length and information on where and what it does. But we are lacking a coder.

Their is always something being built by someone, but up to now many have found it easyer to show their skill, impress and then just disapear. Their are some very special coders still in around winmx, but life is more important, i have no doubt at all eagle could code a full winmx client, but he is now in education, And that is far more important. Their are many others, i have alot of faith in Emu's work, id like to see him have a crack at adding more winmx stuff to his chat client. I think alot of people think that this task is too difficult, im not saying its going to be easy, but with the help of all of us, and the programmes collected as examples as a guide, i think its very much so within our grasp.

Or if kevin hearn is reading this. Cant you see by now we are only wanting to take winmx to the next level. Why not send us your sourcecode, would save us a whole load of messing about, and get WinMX back to its full glory. Without patchs and Moni's needing to be stuck on to get what we want out of it. (I know all that is just a pipe dream now).
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »
      Their is a extremly simple way of making winmx's transfers fully encypted. But the problem lies with making it compatible with people not running patched winmx's. Do we really want to split the network in two. Personally i think we should of done it when KM was about. As their was a much larger user base, and to loose a few people while others upgraded wouldnt of been overly major. But it didnt happen.

On the basis of starting again. Recreating our own P2P client. Thats not about the winmx code would be a damn site easyer, and bits could be ripped from many diffrent networks, but i dont think it would keep the community spirit.

Ive considered Ares too in the past, an im sorry but i hate the damn thing. I trust Winmx, ive been using it for 5 years at least, i think even longer than that, its kept me safe, i think i should repay it by keeping it safe. Yes sentimentality has took over, and deep down i know we need a new client. The whole network protocol has been cracked. Their are a few little niggles we wonder what way round it does it, but you learn that by coding that section. Every single packets type is in writen form and what length and information on where and what it does. But we are lacking a coder.

Their is always something being built by someone, but up to now many have found it easyer to show their skill, impress and then just disapear. Their are some very special coders still in around winmx, but life is more important, i have no doubt at all eagle could code a full winmx client, but he is now in education, And that is far more important. Their are many others, i have alot of faith in Emu's work, id like to see him have a crack at adding more winmx stuff to his chat client. I think alot of people think that this task is too difficult, im not saying its going to be easy, but with the help of all of us, and the programmes collected as examples as a guide, i think its very much so within our grasp.

Or if kevin hearn is reading this. Cant you see by now we are only wanting to take winmx to the next level. Why not send us your sourcecode, would save us a whole load of messing about, and get WinMX back to its full glory. Without patchs and Moni's needing to be stuck on to get what we want out of it. (I know all that is just a pipe dream now).

Great post. :-)
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:14 pm »
deux/gs (and anyone else with access to the core section) read what i posted in loopback...

btw, sentimentality is only going to take things so far.... just like the ham radio crowd doesnt want to give up their vacuum tubes (aka valves in uk).... it just leaves you behind...

btw, im using soulseek not ares... i didnt like the look of ares either...

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 07:36:47 pm »
first @ Ghost ship second @ stripes
i wasnt saying remove the disclaimer limewire and several others suffice legally with a check box that says i have read this message dont show again. so if they dont see it assuming you can prove you had good code then you can say by lack of seeing it they agreed to the terms in its contents.

@ stripes
this is completely off topic. but being the radio fanatic i am vacuum tubes still produce alot better sound over SSD's until you get into digital shit. theyre portability is weak due to the power requirements of the cathodes.... but hey who wants to carry around 50 pounds of tubes anyway. and analog tuning + analog transmission still surpasses digital in trying conditions. if you have the right set of varable capacitors in your tuning set up you can tune down to a tenth of a hz assuming your fingers dont twitch uncontrollably from drug abuse.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 08:14:02 pm »
ive come up with a second way to rig two servers together to allow multiple hosts.
using a bot of sometype metis or DCMX (uses less resources) pings a set of rooms every so often (maybe 4-20 minutes) then redirects the users to the faster room or the one left available. then when anyone else enters the room it auto exiles to the last room it was redirected to (yes this could mean you get shuffled three times really fast and they culd list 9 room names or more)

and speaking of wich this prolly deserves a seperate thread but every time i reload my channel list i get more rooms.... i got 1206 rooms earlier today and a few of the rooms i go in werent even in the list

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx