gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76777 Posts in 13503 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 20, 2024, 08:54:34 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: program ideas  (Read 13070 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: program ideas
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:36 pm »
going waaay off topic...

@ stripes
this is completely off topic. but being the radio fanatic i am vacuum tubes still produce alot better sound over SSD's until you get into digital shit.

dunno where your analog source is coming from cos even radio stations use mp3 (or a similar format) ... that leaves pre-digital-age LPs and 45s... (even vinyl comes from digital masters now)

theyre portability is weak due to the power requirements of the cathodes....

make great space heaters too... lol... (not kidding... a simple 4 tube audio amp can raise a room 10F in under two sides of a record :lol: )

but hey who wants to carry around 50 pounds of tubes anyway.

you might be surprised at who is willing to do so.... when you see someone make a wheeled cart for their radio so they can move it around (this radio being designated the 'portable' one) it makes me wonder about their sanity....

and analog tuning + analog transmission still surpasses digital in trying conditions.

agreed.... but trying to make out which blob of snow is which character is also trying... as is listening to a radio station that fades in/out stereo/mono and loud bursts of fuzz....

emergency only in this situation(if you want to keep your sanity)... but NOAA still broadcasts analog and many weather radios still tune analog...

if you have the right set of varable capacitors in your tuning set up you can tune down to a tenth of a hz assuming your fingers dont twitch uncontrollably from drug abuse.

hmm... all i want is the thing to quit wandering on its own away from 95.3FM .... (i quit using that tuner a long time ago but still have it.... being AM/FM with lineout audio it was -full- of tubes... damn thing weighs a ton... runs hotter than many of the portable space heaters.. and -never- would stay on the station i wanted it to even tho it had 'automatic fine tuning' .... which did work... cos with that turned on it would 'jump' stations rather than drift through them)

and no i dont care to repair it cos i dont want to use it... already got a portable AM/FM/SW that uses 2 C batteries and has a digital tuner that works fine...(and if its a flaky tube i -really- dont want to repair it cos the price of some of the harder to find ones is insane)

btw, what i ment by "holding on to their tubes" was that the ham radio community doesnt seem to want to 'innovate' anymore... once they were the leaders of innovation... now... its just a nostalga club...

http://www.hamradio-online.com/1999/mar/unique.html (very good read but very old)

http://weblog.fortnow.com/2006/04/ham-radios-coding-theory-and-internet.html (this ones just funny)

http://nonbovine-ruminations.blogspot.com/2009/01/future-of-amateur-radio.html (very relavent)

interesting to note in that last link a user named 'tim' uses the old standby "excuse" that ham radio is a 'service' ... gets used every time they feel threatened....

yeah... i used to go to hamfest... but got tired of the ideas that werent being used and quit going alltogether when i asked if it would be possible to have 56k packet radio and got basically laughed out of the place... come to find out they -did- 56k packet radio (called GRPS) in the 80s.... guess they regressed?

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:40 pm »
ham still pioneers in digital transmisisons they even were the base for the cellular internet cards.
as far as analog sources go... an FM tube radio is not only a rarity but a commodity and only the luxury ones had stereo. Ive got a 13 tube halicrafter you can fix a piece of toast on after listening to SW for a while.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 08:08:33 pm »
an FM tube radio is not only a rarity but a commodity and only the luxury ones had stereo.

so you're saying that hulk of "junk" may fetch a pretty price on ebay? ... or did i misunderstand you...

cos when i bought the thing (for 5$) it had all the switches and settings one would find on a 'regular' solid-state stereo AM/FM tuner.... (i thought it -was- solid state is why i bought it... just thought it was really heavy cos of the metal case)

should i post a picture? (do we need to start a new thread thats more on topic? or has this one been mutated enough.. lol...)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:59:01 pm »
...and now it decides that it doesnt want to drift (at least not yet).... apparently being left in storage for ~7 years did something to it....

made in japan by AMD(?!?) model 36-130

after some listening its either not stereo or the stereo decoder doesnt work... but it has two RCA line outs on the back so i thought it either was or was intended to be stereo... (one has a variable pot on it and the other doesnt and is labled 'multiplex')

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 04:12:49 am »
this does deserve a new thread ill continue it in the lyte section.....

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 01:35:46 am »
-chat client idea-

anyone thats talked to me knows my goal is cross platform capabilities.
the biggest problem in porting a program to linux is the GUI that every modern programmer seems to bind everything to.
DOS cmd.net and other forms of txt only programs can be easily run on POSIX windows and yes even OS X . i was going to do this myself by forking off of WinPY's functions but as its going slow and a plentiful amount of programs are out there.
if anyone wants to take the gui off of their client id be more then glad to test it and write a tutorial for running it on other systems.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »
-mobile client-

ok so as everyone prolly knows the ipod and iphone and now even the zune are able to use homebrew applications.
so my idea is why not use the wifi built into these buggers to make a download client
it would be a leech on the secondary end of things but if it gets popular it would encourage more people to use the winmx on their pc.

but imagine your at mcdonalds or something and you hear a song you want. you connect to their free wifi run a search and download the song str8 to your ipod/zune no pc required.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »
Someone has made a Java mobile chat client that works with some phones, but the ipod touch and the iphone require a max os to download the SDK, and you have to pay 90$ before you can begin.

Then you have to submit it to apple for them to test it and see if it violates any of their TOS, and then have them approve it.
- Josh

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 10:52:16 pm »
ok so what about the zune? the stuff for it is supposed to be free?

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 10:57:20 pm »
Who cares about Microsoft's pathetic attempt at a mp3 player? Get with the rest of the world and get an iPod already. :-)
- Josh

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 11:52:18 pm »
why? ipod cant even sync through wifi and why pay $230 for 4 gigs and a touch scren when i can pay 219 and get an 80 gig zune

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 12:18:02 am »
ok so josh got me thinking and ive come up with another one
1) what about a web gui like they have for torrents to control your mx
possibly with a player for the library

i was trying to find something to replace my zune with cause its worn out
and i thought maybe someone has like a ftp or remote drive access thing for the ipods or zunes so you can access your home music cause thats about the only way im gonna be able to ca m msic wit me for under 1000 bux

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 01:37:36 pm »
howbout a palmOS client... palms dont give a s*** what you install (kinda like a normal computer) and modern palm devices have extendable memory, bluetooth, wifi, and even cell modems... (download it via wifi or cell and listen with your wireless AD2P phones... then take it home and stick the CF card in your comp and copy it to the HDD)

whats is this primitive closed-box ipod device of which you two speak? ;) (puts me in mind of the old 68k macintosh boxen... overpriced...  closed box... completely undocumented... and end the end... to the true geek...  useless...)

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 05:20:55 am »
Got this written up finally lol.

I'M done for this week now.

http://patchwinmx.com/projects/winmxusersearcher/
- Josh

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 06:01:53 am »
Another topic about basically the same thing: https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=6773.0.html

It saves me having to retype what I have already said.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 05:32:52 pm »
Got this written up finally lol.

I'M done for this week now.

http://patchwinmx.com/projects/winmxusersearcher/

from that page:

+ Remotely indexed so no waiting

...curious... remotely indexed where?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »
Once this is online, Ill block it. You aint breaching my privacy so some moronic R.I.A.A rag head can see where i am. I dont understand how this is a good idea. If you care as to where someone is. You know what rooms they frequent. Of you have them on msn. I see no need for a tool like this.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 05:55:53 pm »
I see no need for a tool like this.

i dont either...... guess i wont be using the chat functions anymore...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
I would like to put this in a little more positive view.
A tool that can help to find a user on the peer without having to jump in and out rooms where that user might be joined would be great.
For privacy reasons it would however be bad to have options to list users in a specific room.
All other features on userinfo  like IP, port, number of shared files, PM etc are only inviting to misuse/abuse and should be avoided.
Last but not least I hope the database only exists in memory.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 07:30:31 pm »
What is the point to this appart from to annoy people with anonymous  pms?  seems to me just a toy for annoyance and abuse of the network users & i hope it in no way will be supported by this site.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx