gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:41:53 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: program ideas  (Read 12981 times)

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
Re: program ideas
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 03:59:25 am »
theres a potential problem i see here....

the database will be held only in ram (it better be anyway) but it will still need a list of those it has indexed and those who dont wish to be indexed.... a server shutdown/reboot would cause those contents to be lost... requiring those who dont want to be indexed to re-remove themselves... if they even knew the machine re-indexed them...

I must of worded that post wrong, what I'M trying to get across is that the database itself that contains the chat rooms and the users in them is stored in memory, but the removal/blocklist is stored in a file. So it will not be lost every reboot.
- Josh

Offline Sean

• Core
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 04:01:55 am »
Personally, I think this is a nice tool. Any information it collects is allready public anyways. It reminds me a lot of Google (or any other search engine, or web crawler) actually, simply indexing and organizing data that is allready public. If you are worried about people getting your IP, then you don't know the network too well. Unless a server specifically sends a client (ussually an admin, I access in WCS) this information, you can't obtain this on a decentralized network. Any info this application will provide, I could go into your room right now and get myself.

I think it is good that a web based 'opt out' is availble, for those who are concerned they are being spied on. Anyone could make this tool, I could make it myself, its very easy to make, and I am suprised something like this isnt allready done. Good luck Josh, I await your future developments. I know I will 'opt in' on any pre-releases if your gonna do that. 8)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 04:15:56 am »
I must of worded that post wrong, what I'M trying to get across is that the database itself that contains the chat rooms and the users in them is stored in memory, but the removal/blocklist is stored in a file. So it will not be lost every reboot.

ahhh... misunderstood... ok...

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 04:52:14 am »
Another thing to add, for the removal of blocked usernames, you will be asked to create a small password when adding your name to the blocklist, you will need this password to remove your name (if you wish) later on. This will prevent people from removing you lol

And it's not like this thing is even close to being done. So far the only thing finished is the Blocklist class, I'M working on the web based blocklist adding/removing feature first so people could possibly pre-remove themselves before anything is up and running.
- Josh

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 07:14:31 am »
Having taken a vote within my own from 30 users  all voted agaisnt anyone else being able to find out what room they was in they feel its a vialation and that anyone who they knew wanted to find them they would already know how to do so. So regardless of what is changed in the programe i would like an I.P or a method of blocking it from ever entering my room that i can do on my end so i know it is done. Iam sorry but i cannot rely on anyone else to do this the feeling is so strong agaisnt it entering my room.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 11:21:46 am »
Yes id have to agree with the comment. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should. I also dont give a s**t about weather or not you can opt out. What about people who dont know about this stupid programme and end up on your list. Not every winmxer comes to the forums. I honestly thought you would turn you coding skills to something that would be for the betterment of winmx. Instead your posting s**t eveywhere, and creating a f***ing tool that violates everyones privacy on this network. Yes im swearing before someone comments but ive had it up to my eyeballs with you josh. If you create this tool ill do everything in my power to make sure you and it never connects to winmx again. You have no idea of the ramifications this programme could cause to winmx users in countrys suffering stearner copywrite laws than in mine and your country.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 02:06:25 pm »
* Silver Stripes breathes a sigh of relief

thank you deux... i was trying to be polite and not stirr the pot... but finally what was on many minds (incl mine) was said...

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 02:16:12 pm »
You only have to take a look at the evidence put forward in the pirate bay. Screen shots of this doing that etc. Now fair enough anywhere with abit of sense states that's not enough evidence. But not all country's have the sense and judicial system we English and Americans have fought and died for. Many are under communist regimes where they chop your hands off for robbing a apple. How would they stand with a picture of their nick name in a room with a topic declaring all the latest releases. This is a monumentally stupid idea and a complete waste of time that could be invested in making something useful. Josh you have a great talent when it comes to coding. Its a shame that talent seems to miss the sensible in your brain.

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 05:05:42 pm »
Blimey well said Deux !
I dont know Josh but iam strongly agaisnt the use of this user indexer. As a room host i have a duty to protect the users in my rooms privacy if they so wish and they have expressed that wish. No doubt this programe is already in use as it has to be at least in the testing stages. Has any room host been asked permission for this programe to enter their room and index the users in there ? i doubt it.
Theres enough people snooping around the internet as it is lets not aid them and add more, respect peoples privacy !
If this programe is released i would hope it had a fixed unchangable username that can be blocked by hosts from entering their room,  that every room host be approached for permission for it to enter their room before release, A message on enter of client name and a time delay before indexing so a rooms admin has time to react and  does not show to be sharing files.

I realy hope it is just binned and Josh puts his talent to better use like maybe a new mx monitor ;)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
josh? making a new mxmoni? that would be even -worse- ....

google 'josh glazebrook' .... you'll get to know him real quick...

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 05:21:14 pm »
OMG !!!  just read up on google  on Josh and iam wondering why on earth this guy is even allowed on the internet let alone winmx !!!

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 05:53:36 pm »
Silver, we may not be happy with this idea of a tool. But we will not discuss something that he did outside of winmx, we have had this discussion and he has done his time for the crime. Rehabilitation is something i strongly believe in. Id have to say myself being a young naughty upstart once also. So please lets keep this thread on topic. We all have voiced a concern at this programme. Lets wait till josh re-appears and here what he says

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 06:13:40 pm »
Rehabilitation is something i strongly believe in.

the point i was trying to make was that he has apparently not 'rehabilitated' or even come close if hes doing things like this... ppl repeatedly said 'no' yet he continued... granted that the event types were different... but the mentality behind it is the same... im not making a personal attack.... i making a point of logic...

like i said to josh... "just because you can do something, doesnt mean you should"...
that was my subtle attempt to say to him "you're going the wrong way!" without dragging up the blatent method... the one that gets me scolded by the admin and snubbed by josh...

if nothing else it cant be said that i didnt try to be nice...

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 07:47:06 pm »
Are you all in favour of this route ?
100% yes

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:45 pm »
What disappointed me, not made me scald was that what josh is doing here is wrong. It didnt need to stoop to the level of personal attacks to gain advantage. Everyone is in agreement that this programme is not wanted. An ill open another thread as a democracy and see what people vote about this tool. I can see a few people involved in this thread and a few peoples opinions. My own is against this. But a general consensus is the correct route here when considering a course of action for something like this. I am expecting a reply from josh though which is holding me back so as to see what his plans still are.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:53 pm »
I also am waiting to hear from Josh, lets hope he understands the anger and distress this program idea seems to be causing amongst folks.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2009, 12:03:43 am »
Since I can't quote every single post, just note those are included.

After listening to many different opinions, and many different wonderful minds, I have decided not to continue with this project. I do however ask for someone to think of something even better to put in its place. :-)
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2009, 12:07:19 am »
I do however ask for someone to think of something even better to put in its place.

nothing....? what other addons are really needed at the moment?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2009, 12:07:45 am »
Well josh i thank you for deciding that this programme was a bad idea. An im glad you braved the beast to post too. I assume then that seen as this was a programme ideas topic that it was just that.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2009, 12:37:57 am »
I do however ask for someone to think of something even better to put in its place.

thats the whole reason i started this thread.
theres plenty of ideas here and there will be plenty more from other users if this little set back doesnt discourage users from posting their ideas.
every one gets brainblock and everyone has program ideas (wether we can create them or not)since we all have different experiences. thats just a part of life's QOS.

just because you  are unable make something a reality doesnt mean it shouldnt be so.
and there are plenty of coders on the network who may want to make your program a reality.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx