gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 05:59:41 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: program ideas  (Read 12983 times)

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
Re: program ideas
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 09:49:39 pm »
I have spoken to people in my room about this user finder and they are against it they do not want any tom dick or harry knowing where they are and to be able to contact them maybe get spammed etc, i want to know how to block this before its release, who the heck wants to be on some database stored god knows where, no no no !!!!!!!!!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »
its probably already crawling through the rooms as we speak... thats why the download of the client is 'coming soon' .... its building the database.....

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 11:49:42 pm »
If you all feel so strongly then we need to talk to Josh about this step into a possible security breach.

At the worst  we can of course add any IP to the blocklist if this is the communities wish to protect itself but there may be a way ahead through discussion and this route is suggested in the first instance.

I propose we ask Josh to either give more details of how he is going to prevent abuse or we take a vote on blocking this, and if necessary him, although I hope he is sensible enough to discuss and change his plan slightly to accomodate the communities concerns.

Are you all in favour of this route ?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:33 am »
well... you already know how i feel...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 12:58:19 am »
If it would work on voluntary basis, you can decide to be added or deleted to/from the database, it might have a chance. In reality, most users that want to be found know other, safer way's to make that possible.
Roomcrawlers ....  I do have second thoughts about it.

In fact I do remember a sort like discussion about ShareGuard and making lists of shared files in a room.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 01:50:26 am »
i spoke to josh when he told me about this on msn. i warned him this could indeed even violate online privacy laws since it is a form of stalking.
when this does launch the rooms that do not wish to participate can use banIP or firewall him.
i feel an easier solution would be for the indexer to have a join message explaining what it is and what its doing.

but i am against the idea. as there are groups like RD that do nothing more then harrass people and because of the legal side of this tool.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 02:30:24 am »
Just for the record before I start... all of the information that this program gets is already available to anyone, and some chat clients already display all the information available in the userlist.

Yes I understand that the fact that this program makes finding where you are easier, but the reality is.. they could do it without it.

I also understand that you're concerned with the RIAA trying to get a hold of WinMX User IP Address's, and I will have the indexer use the live WinMXWorld blocklist to filter any of those people from getting on the indexer. And the user list itself does not hand out the IP Address of any of the users in the room, only the IP Address of the Primary that you're connected to, after some of the responses I will not be allowing any users to see those addresses or their ports.

About the Anonymous Private Messages, that basically can be done by any WinMX user using any Network connection enabled client. It simply sends a private message from a random name. But as this feature has received negative responses, I will remove this feature also.

And along with the option to remove yourself via the "verification process" explained on the web page, room hosts will also have the ability to exclude their chat room all together.

The database is never stored on file, and must be rebuilt from scratch anytime the indexer is closed and reopened, nothing is stored outside of memory, and there is no record of anyone's search requests. The only thing stored are those users that have been added to the list to be removed from the database.

If you have other concerns please post. I am willing to negotiate, and if I feel that this project is indeed a nuisance good, it will eventually be scraped.

I have updated the web page to reflect what features remain.

Thanks.
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 02:48:18 am »
you must be aware you have to be using a Primary Connection to the network (with your chat client) at all times for this to work.

IIRC robomx doesnt connect primary (it doesnt need to) and those of us who cannot connect primary with winmx are just screwed? (not everyone has broadband)

this should be opt-in per room (and user)... not 'opt-out'...

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009, 02:55:40 am »
you must be aware you have to be using a Primary Connection to the network (with your chat client) at all times for this to work.

IIRC robomx doesnt connect primary (it doesnt need to) and those of us who cannot connect primary with winmx are just screwed? (not everyone has broadband)

No, I will be changing that so anyone can block their user name from getting on the list, without having to use primary.

And as someone stated above, people had this same reaction about Shareguard when it was released, as it essentially has the same basic principle. Just give it a chance, and if it doesn't work out it will be scraped.
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 03:00:04 am »
Just give it a chance, and if it doesn't work out it will be scraped.

all things considered... i and many chatters dont trust this thing....

just because you can do something josh, doesnt mean you should....
thought you would have learned that... (yeah... thats also an admission that i dont trust -you- with it)

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 03:11:05 am »
Josh just like programming stuff and getting other people to help him. Lol. Remember that scam WinMx DoS thing you (and someone else) created, Josh?
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 03:14:30 am »
and this shareguard: https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/shareguard.html

doesnt 'hop' from room to room like your user-searcher... (found a room with shareguard? and dont like it? you can leave... your program follows folks...)

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:08 am »
Josh just like programming stuff and getting other people to help him. Lol. Remember that scam WinMx DoS thing you (and someone else) created, Josh?

I don't recall a scam winmx Dos thing, but I do remember back like 4 years ago or something, I created a Nushi Poison 3 lol, which all it did was pretend to connect to a room, and do the things you thought it would, then it told you to stop being an idiot. lol

That's as close to what I can remember for something like that Daniel.

And yes, I do like programming I just want to make something new that has not been done before,

I'M not trying to create a tool for perverts to try to spy on you in the shower(room), or to breach your security, nothing like that is intended.

And besides, the government already has satellites that can spy on you in the shower. lol :P  (who knows it could be possible lol)
- Josh

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:31 am »
and this shareguard: https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/shareguard.html

doesnt 'hop' from room to room like your user-searcher... (found a room with shareguard? and dont like it? you can leave... your program follows folks...)

The concept I was speaking about was the indexing feature, indexing files, indexing users pretty close. The movies and music someone watches can tell you a lot about a person, more than just seeing what room they're in.

And as I have said, it is only updated every 30 minutes to 1 hour so it's not completely accurate. And as stated above you will be able to remove yourself.
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:24 am »
And as stated above you will be able to remove yourself.

which requires your software?

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 03:31:54 am »
And as stated above you will be able to remove yourself.

which requires your software?

I will add a web based removal.
- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 03:40:44 am »
I will add a web based removal.

that i like the sound of better...

Offline Daniel

• Forum Member
  • chiot mignon
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:26 am »
I don't recall a scam winmx Dos thing, but I do remember back like 4 years ago or something, I created a Nushi Poison 3 lol, which all it did was pretend to connect to a room, and do the things you thought it would, then it told you to stop being an idiot. lol
Perhaps you didn't help with that project, but I thought you did. It was a program that just reloaded the pages of pay winmx websites over and over. There was also a webpage of statistics, like a hiscore list, for the people who used it the most.

I'M not trying to create a tool for perverts to try to spy on you in the shower(room), or to breach your security, nothing like that is intended.

And besides, the government already has satellites that can spy on you in the shower. lol Razz  (who knows it could be possible lol)
They actually do have a satellite that can see through clouds and other things. NASA developed a telescope that could see through clouds because they could see the surface of another planet. Most people don't know this, but there is another part of NASA, where they use the technology NASA creates for spying on the people of Earth. (See long video about it).

Any who, I don't really feel violated by this program. Yahoo messenger has a worse built in function. You can type in "/follow (username)", and it follows the person. The person being followed has no choice in the matter. :o
- Have a nice explosive day.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 03:47:42 am »
Perhaps you didn't help with that project, but I thought you did. It was a program that just reloaded the pages of pay winmx websites over and over. There was also a webpage of statistics, like a hiscore list, for the people who used it the most.

Oh yes that one, yes I did make that, it didn't really do much and people mainly used it to be on the score list lol

- Josh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 03:54:41 am »
theres a potential problem i see here....

the database will be held only in ram (it better be anyway) but it will still need a list of those it has indexed and those who dont wish to be indexed.... a server shutdown/reboot would cause those contents to be lost... requiring those who dont want to be indexed to re-remove themselves... if they even knew the machine re-indexed them...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  program ideas

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx