gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:57:35 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  3.0 Patch release removes the fake files from your search!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3.0 Patch release removes the fake files from your search!  (Read 32287 times)

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
Re: 3.0 Patch release removes the fake files from your search!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2007, 03:05:31 am »
Not sure if this is the page you tried Watchdog.... but i was just on this 1 and its working fine u can download the patch from the link below:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/connection.html

watchdog

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:35 am »
Thanks reef.  I was able to download the patch.

I'm also experiencing another problem.  I swithced to DSL from 56k dial-up just two days ago.  Ever since I've not been able to download and files, nor can anyone upload from me.  The search and all works fine, but the files continue to time out.
Any suggestions?

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2007, 04:39:24 am »
have a look here watchdog.....this is a pretty common problem with dsl users ....

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=3076.0.html

watchdog

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2007, 05:13:11 am »
Thanks again reef.

Looks like I need to come up to speed on port forwarding.

Bottom line, hope I can get my WinMX up and running again.  Feel like a fish out of water.... 

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2007, 05:36:48 am »
if you have any problems,post back here and somebody will get you sorted out.... good luck watchdog

Offline sphinxy

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2007, 10:53:48 am »
Not sure if this is the page you tried Watchdog.... but i was just on this 1 and its working fine u can download the patch from the link below:

newbielink:https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/connection.html [nonactive]

Thanks!! Brilliant!

watchdog

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2007, 09:54:38 pm »
I've accessed the poert froward site.  I have an Actiontec GT701, but cannot find that exact model in the list.  There are other GT701 models but they all have suffix letters attached to them.

Any direction on this?

Thanks!

watchdog

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2007, 09:56:02 pm »
Ooops!  Sorry, my fingures got ahead of me on the spelling.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2007, 01:49:33 am »
Watchdog you should just go with one of the versions, often the directions are the same and the firmware are enough alike not to cause problems when setting up ports.

watchdog

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:52 pm »
Thanks, me here.

I've look at a few of the AG701##.... Port Forwarding docs, and you're right.  Three of them are exactly the same.

Well, as I'm sure you are well aware of , one thing begets another.  Here's the new issue.  When I came to the section for setting up a static IP address in these documents, I had to stop.  I don't know for sure if this is going to be the fix I need to start downloading/uploading on WinMx again, because of potential trouble on the horizon.  Reason being, in my router setup book that my ISP sent me, there is a section that states, "If you have purchased a Static IP package from us, go to step 5 on page 24".  When I turn to the instructions, it references the Actiontec GT704 router, not GT701 that they sent to me.  This is where I get confused. 

Is the GT701 that I currently have capable of accepting a Static IP address?

And what kind of problems might I be creating with my ISP if I'm able to setup a Static Ip address in my GT701 for this.  Any ideas?

Man, why don't people just let people be free????  Like free enterprize, what a concept....!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 01:22:12 am »
Hi Watchdog,

The static IP that your instructions refer to is a WAN IP which is the Wide Area Network and is assigned by your ISP, most ppl have a 'dynamic' one from the ISP and yes they normally do charge extra for a Static.

The good news is the static ip that site refers to is completely different concept and is set up on the PC.  The router inside your modem has to know 'which machine am I sending or receiving information for'. In order to do this it assigns an Internal IP Address.  These usually will range from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.255.  Because rebooting can cause your router to 'pick a different' IP address on reboot the portforward sites suggests that you should always set up a static IP address for your PC to use, this is easy to do and is done on the PC not through the ISP.  Here is a guide I wrote that might explain it better:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/static_ip.html

I may be partial but that one seems more understandable..

Now the really important part of the post.. using an Actiontec more then likely you'll never need to set a static IP because its not as bad about reassigning that Internal IP to another machine on the network.. LOL

but what kind of helper would i be if i didnt explain it all first eh?    :wink:

watchdog

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2007, 04:09:12 am »
So then me here,  if I'm understanding you correctly, I should first try the port forwarding instruction for my Actiontec GT701 and skip that part of instruction that has me assign a static IP address, because Actiontec is known to be reliable and consistant in non-reassignment of an internal IP.  Then if I'm still not able to not download or others upload from me in WinMX, try the internal static IP setup?

I sure hope this all works.  I just want to be back in the file sharing game, so baaaddd!!!!

I had no problem with my dial up 56K other than the fact that it took a month of Sunday's to download a few files.  I'm very anxious to see what DSL will do for me once I get it working correctly.

I'm sure with your continued help, I'll get there.

Very thankful for your time and patience.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 12:04:29 pm »
Yes Watchdog thats exatly what Im saying.. just do you ports and set that all up and it should work fine.  If one day down the line you wake up and reboot and find the uploads suddenly stop thats usually down to that internal ip having changed and you may want to check that then and set up the static if its going to be a problem. 

For most it wont ever be.

We shall get you working and running great, have no fear!!

watchdog

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 01:20:38 am »
Ok, here's the scoop.  I'm following the directions given by Port Forwarding for the Actiontec GT701WGv2.  It seems to be the closest to my GT701.  When I get to the "Application-Level Gateway (ALG) and Port Forwarding" page, it tells me to add new available rules.  So I added WinMX1 and WinMX2 and chose the TCP,UDP protocol as asked.  The I'm instructed to add these rules as applied rules.  This is where I get stumped.  A window prompt pops up and says I need to choose a LAN device to be able to complete this step. 

What do I need to enter in the LAN device window?     

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2007, 05:21:03 am »
sounds like its asking for the internal ip address of the puter your useing to host winmx etc from

you can get the internal ip by  going to start / run / type cmd then hit the ok button........

you will get a black pop up doss box with a cmd prompt   type   ipconfig   then hit the enter button 

the resulting info will be this

ip address.............thats the bit you want as its the internal ip of the puter.
subnet mask ...... 255.255.255.0
default gateway......the ip given there should be the ip of your router   its internal ip that is.........

hope that helps...............

watchdog

« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2007, 01:54:39 am »
Okay bughunter and Me Here.  I think we're getting closer.  I'm at least starting to get some downloads, but not consistentently.  The other thing is it does not appear anyone can download from me yet.  They keep timing out, as many of my chosen downloads do.

I don't know what significance this has, but when setting up my applications in my Actiontec, I was entering Protocol rules according to the Port Forwarding document, but it would not accept the TCP,UDP option, it would only accept the TCP option.

Where can you take me next?

And by the way thanks so much for the support thus far.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2007, 12:01:55 pm »
Watchdog,

Could you give me the url of the instuctions listed on portforward.com that you followed, since from me looking only a few models ask for you to add new available rules.

Id like to just have a look to make sure your getting the correct information added but until im sure which screens your seeing when you try to do it, i dont want to add confusion by assuming anything.

watchdog

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2007, 08:47:24 pm »
Yes Watchdog,

I am going to just run through this with you basically one here so that you can go back through and either re add these rules by deleting the old ones or make sure they are correct by editing if need be.

First thing is to get your Internal IP address, some systems will allow you to use the computer name, but it looks like we need your IP here so:

Go to Start > Run > Type in           cmd
Then click OK
Now in the black box type in           ipconfig
and hit Enter.

Write down the IP Address as it reads there.

Now close that and open the router configuration pages:

When you have accessed the router pages and gotten to the Applications page, be sure that in the 'Lan Device' you select the IP you wrote down from above.  Then tick the User radial and New button to make new rules.  If you want to edit old ones thats fine as well the options should be there but Im going to just go one like we are making them new and use new port numbers incase you decide you want to use that option.

Once you have clicked the New button you should now see the page where you can type in information.  Here is what it should read:

Rule Name WinMXtcp
Protocol: Choose TCP from drop down
Port Start: 16699
Port End: 16699
Port Map: 16699

Click 'Apply'

Now do this again, User > New >

Rule Name: WinMXudp
Protocol: Choose UDP  from drop down
Port Start: 16257
Port End: 16257
Port Map: 16257

Click 'Apply'

now back on the Applications page make sure once again that the correct LAN Server IP is showing the one you gathered earlier, then hightlight the rules you just made WinMXtcp & WinMXudp and add them to applied rules.  Click Apply once more and that should be the router/modem done.

Now if you changed to my suggested ports above 16699, & 16257 Open WinMX settings > Incoming TCP and change that to the top option ticked and port number 16699.  Do the same with In/Out UDP set to top and port number 16257 and restart WinMX.

Post back and let me know if you still have problems we may need to look at firewalls

watchdog

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2007, 12:21:14 pm »
BINGO....!

Thanks so much Me Here!  Up and running once again. 

FYI and others that read this post...!  As you said may happen,  when I tried to put my IP in, it would not accept it.  Said the number already existed, but a named IP came up so I choose that and everything worked fine.  The name consisted of a alpha/numerical sequence of characters starting with the company (a personal friend) that built my computer.  I really don't know how that overides the raw IP number address that I found by folllowing your instructions, but at this point it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again!  It's resources like yourself that will keep the WinMX community alive and well.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  3.0 Patch release removes the fake files from your search!

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx