gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 19, 2024, 11:30:37 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Client Weekly Update  (Read 89428 times)

Re: New Client Weekly Update
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:10 pm »
Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to function in society, but then society itself is a bit dysfunctional so maybe they fit in quite well.
Anyway this thread wandered so far from the topic and descended into somerthing quite negative. I'm locking it.
Updates on the progress of the new client will be posted as I become aware of them.

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2013, 12:51:53 am »
The development team have managed to clear a few hurdles and as a result have kindly put together a few screenshots and text.

My thanks to the development team for sticking with it and for choosing WMW to bring their information to the community.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/new_wpn_client_preview.html

I have unlocked the topic, please keep things constructive.

Offline harrara

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2013, 01:53:50 am »
This is going very well, thanks  :)

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:42 am »
Wow....very nice!....So what are the current listed items that are preventing this from being beta tested to us?

« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2013, 02:51:23 am »
There's still a few links inside the code which don't work and the code to get the developers over the hurdles has only just been completed and has not undergone any testing outisde the developers themselves.
Also I understand the developers still need to put all the bits that work into the one piece so when i last spoke to them there wasn't a whole client which had all of the latest code.

Offline winmxuser54

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2013, 04:51:41 am »
Looks like something out of the stone age.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:42 am »
The update with pictures is nice, the mention of uploading filelists to primaries - has the proposed feature been added to allow a secondary client to disable their own files from searches/browse while still allowing u/l d/l ability?

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2013, 08:39:36 am »
I think the intention was to be able to opt in and out of browse but the files would still turn up in search results.
From what I've seen that function was put in early on.

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2013, 01:12:04 am »
There some new screenshots of the chat lister and a browse window in the above page

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2013, 05:01:46 pm »
Final question for now:
Have the newly found region markers been implemented to work with the network region selections to allow regionalisation or priorities in primaries in any future updates?

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »
Looks like something out of the stone age.
I must like the Stone Age then. I believe it looks great! Simplicity is the key to having many users on the network.  Even your grandmother could probably figure it out.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
I think that is certainly on the cards Rebel, but no implementation at this stage.

Offline harrara

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »
stone age is good, then all know how to operate it  :thumbs:

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:33 pm »
I'm not aware of any newly found region markers thus is not been any priority to add then back in perhaps you might like to add the fine details to the core section and we might toss them in RebelMx.

This is one of those times when your own research will aid the community as mine has over the years  :)

Offline winmxuser54

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2013, 04:30:26 am »
Is the open source plan still to release on the source forge page? I think you should take into consideration the fact that there have been major advances in open source project hosting, and github and a few other providers have eclipsed source forge in usability and community driven features.

Perhaps it would be wiser to use github for when the project does indeed go open source as fellow github members can submit push and pull requests, raise issues, and help contribute to the master branch if we find any bugs?

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2013, 07:01:06 am »
I did Ghost (new found as in 2 years ago) but little was discussed of it, and very little notice was taken.
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=6502.msg62962#msg62962
Region markers were in effect for the UDP Primary packet 0x31 and 0x35

My assumption is that there must be some sort of secondary usage of the markers also to allow collation of numerical statistics on the network (if not perhaps it could be added, say to packet 0x03A1 the unknown marker, perhaps it is the region marker also I haven't done much testing with secondary protocol but makes sense that the primary nodes are notified with the region they are in)

Perhaps the 0x038D packet could be modified so the last byte is the region of the secondary user this would allow primaries to send primary nodes that are closer to that actual user?  As the network expands it may be important to have a systematic method of linking users to their nearest primaries (or supposed closest) rather than this cross over wild method that currently operates?

Just my thoughts.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2013, 01:54:00 pm »
I did read that chart but there was no tie up with any packet data Richy thus it was as clear as mud to me  :lol:

As you say know research is best undertaken when there is a specific need or spare time to do so, I,ll look at intergrating the markers at some stage now I,m aware where they are.

Offline Will

• WMW Team
  • It wasn't me
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »
They are already being used while making a connection, but the caches and primary stuff will need modding a little.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2013, 04:44:22 pm »
Hmm, currently the region marker settings area of the client is non existent as due to the lower-than-back-in-its-heyday user count further fragmenting of the users hasn't been desirable but of course with increases expected at some juncture in the future further expansion scope is most welcome.

I suspect that there are solid technical reasons for not always grabbing the nearest client in the upper network tier but for secondaries it would be very desirable to have those connected with as local a connection as possible to acheive stability of connection as well as the potential for results yeilding increased locally popular content akin to clustering.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09:45 pm »
I'm happy to provide more details of the region markers if required just didn't know how much can be discussed in open forum until the new client is out and working in the community?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx